IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Scoring: Poll Added!, How Do You Feel About It?
What is Your Take On The WBC's 4th and 8th Round Open Scring Rule?
How Do You Currently Feel About Open Scoring?
I Have Always Hated It [ 13 ] ** [81.25%]
I Have Always Liked It [ 1 ] ** [6.25%]
I Used to Hate It, But Now Like/Am Used To It [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I Used to Like It, But Now Hate It [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I Am Not Sure [ 2 ] ** [12.50%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
mgrover
post Apr 25 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2013, 07:36 PM) *
Didn't Salido do it? Twice? Didn't JMM just do it, after being shafted 2 or 3 times? I mean sheesh, I know these fighters fight for a living and dont care much about watching other fights, but they should really consider taking pages from other fighters' books.

I cant remember the scores from the first Salido/Lopez fight when the stoppage occurred, but the fix was definitely in for the second fight...before Salido scored yet another TKO.

I agree with firing the judges, but that's in a perfect world. These guys are fighters, and they should take things into their own hands when they have the control to do it (fighting). A judge cant get in there and fight for the favored fighter. A crooked promoter cant get in there and throw a punch for the favored fighter. Only the fighters can do this, but what do they? They leave it in the hands of somebody who hasn't put in ANY hard to compete that night.

Was Trout going balls to wall before he got dropped? Nope. He was boxing, or prepared to box anyway. I understand that neglecting boxing skills can spell "trouble", but being too cautious and naive about the judges scoring it fairly when you're fighting a clear favorite with 38k fans and promoters backing him up, is crazy.

Trout's talk leading up to the fight, told us all that we needed to know. All of that "If this fight is close, they wont give it to me" nonsense, is EXACTLY what happened. From what I understand, Trout's team wanted different judges, but they're request was denied, so he should've known how to approach the fight. NOW, he can talk on and on about how good of a boxer he is, but fact is, he's now in the back seat, he has NO rematch clause, and Canelo is about to land some big money fights.

My first thought is, if some of these guys were as good a boxer as they claimed to be, then they wouldn't be on the "deal with it" end of decisions this often. LOL

It seems to come down to, if Trout had some power his punches would of looked more impressive and potientally stopped Canelo but if Canelo had no power he'd be in the same boat but would of clearly lost the fight. I thought it was about who was the better boxer not go could land the harder shots. You say Trout landed pitter patter yet he backs Canelo onto the ropes in the round he was dropped I think
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 25 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 25 2013, 08:33 PM) *
It seems to come down to, if Trout had some power his punches would of looked more impressive and potientally stopped Canelo but if Canelo had no power he'd be in the same boat but would of clearly lost the fight. I thought it was about who was the better boxer not go could land the harder shots. You say Trout landed pitter patter yet he backs Canelo onto the ropes in the round he was dropped I think

I can dig most of your post. Really, I can.

As a matter of fact, I wont even dispute it. You're right, if Canelo had no power, then he'd be in the same boat...cant argue with that. The fact is, Canelo "appeared" to want the rounds more than Trout.

If Trout knew that he didn't have the power to hurt Canelo, then he should've been waaaay more busier than he appeared to be. It may seem like I'm asking Trout to do something that he may not be capable of, but hell, we've fighters with less power, take as much command of a fight as they could possibly take.

For instance, Paulie knows his identity in the ring. He knows that he doesn't have the power to hurt (or stop) his opponent, so what does he do? He goes out there, tries to jab the guy to death, slips as many punches as he can, uses good head movement, and goes from there.

Trout was just in a bad situation here.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 25 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

There's some big cons about open scoring, how the judges can be easily swayed by the press and crowd during the fight. But they have the best viewing of the fight from the side of the rings, plus the notifications from the ref. If they scored it from a remote location, there could still be swindling in the judging, even made easier behind the lines.

On scoring the fight, you have to look at who is in control of the round, you can't just look at "skill" (this guy is more skilled so I'm picking him), you have to look at who's in control. And Canelo looked like he had greater control in the fight, that's what the judges and Showtime saw. Facial expressions do play a factor as well, when a guy (Trout) looks frustrated and in non-control he gives the other guy (Canelo) more respect to the eyes of the viewers.

This post has been edited by sduck: Apr 25 2013, 09:10 PM

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 26 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #24

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

I don't get the purpose of it. It's not like it's ended bogus score cards (see Alvarez/Trout). It's not like it makes the fans feel more involved in the fight. All it does is kill the suspense and completely change fighter's psyche going into the championship rounds.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:33 AM