IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Khan-Diaz-APROXIMATE SPOILERS SAT@5PM(ET)/3PM (PT), Will Be Tape Delayed On Showtime FOLLOWING Judah-Garcia
mitukczuk
post Apr 28 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #41

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 28 2013, 03:11 AM) *
Amir Khan clearly won the fight, he didn't win it in dominating fashion, but he was up on the rounds. Diaz only won like three rounds, big rounds, but you have to take the entire fight, not just a round or two, that's just how the scoring goes. I was disappointed in Amir Khan, he tried to change his style up a bit, come off more patient, but it's really the exact same Amir Khan, the same flaws. People shit on Khan, but I think he has so much potential. All he needs to do is improve his defense, learn how to fight on the inside, keep his hands up, learn how to guard, especially guard that chin of his (his biggest weakness), and stop throwing such reckless shots that allows himself to get easily countered. He had so much potential, but shame for him, he's classified on the, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". Wasted talent.

I agree with you. Khan is a talent and I like the potential he possesses but that "flaw count" of his will be hardly corrected as these are pretty much fundamentals which should have been the very CORE of his boxing. Hunter can try to teach it to him, ut I don't think he will succeed. BUT Khan is 26 years old, there is still some time....and its never too late to learn.

As for the decision, I disagree. I think Diaz fought a much better fight than Khan and was tagging him all night long, had him hurt numerous times and even knocked him down. I stand by my 115-113 decision in favor of Diaz. I wasn't paying attention only to those rounds where Diaz hurt Khan. His gameplan just seemed executed much better than Khan's who fought just as he always does.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 28 2013, 07:22 AM
Post #42

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

one thing about khan is that he doesn't seem to fight at his full height, rather always crouch a little bit...

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 28 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #43

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 28 2013, 08:22 AM) *
one thing about khan is that he doesn't seem to fight at his full height, rather always crouch a little bit...

THIS! And he pulls str8 back despite having a bunch of foot speed. There's a difference between foot speed and foot work. Seems like every fighter outta the Freddy Roach pedigree do a great job of proving my point lol

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 30 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #44

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

khan has a very bad habit of dropping his hands everytime he opens up with a combination. this is a problem that cannot be fixed over night. it requires serious re-programming that could take a very very long time. even then....when the heat is on, he'll revert back to doing the same damn thing. i've noticed this for quite some time. his exciting offense needs to take the back seat to learning solid defense and not opening up so much when he throws in combination. i'm surprised he's made it to this level with such a big flaw.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 30 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #45

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 28 2013, 12:09 PM) *
THIS! And he pulls str8 back despite having a bunch of foot speed. There's a difference between foot speed and foot work. Seems like every fighter outta the Freddy Roach pedigree do a great job of proving my point lol

to his credit...he isn't falling over that front foot the way he was when he was at the wildcard.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 30 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #46

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 28 2013, 05:04 AM) *
I agree with you. Khan is a talent and I like the potential he possesses but that "flaw count" of his will be hardly corrected as these are pretty much fundamentals which should have been the very CORE of his boxing. Hunter can try to teach it to him, ut I don't think he will succeed. BUT Khan is 26 years old, there is still some time....and its never too late to learn.

As for the decision, I disagree. I think Diaz fought a much better fight than Khan and was tagging him all night long, had him hurt numerous times and even knocked him down. I stand by my 115-113 decision in favor of Diaz. I wasn't paying attention only to those rounds where Diaz hurt Khan. His gameplan just seemed executed much better than Khan's who fought just as he always does.

the major problem is that he and his family lack the understanding to see his flaws and they also lack the patience to correct them. he is so eager to conquer the world....he doesn't realize he is ill-equiped to do so.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 30 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #47

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 27 2013, 07:59 PM) *
That begs the question, why weren't those flaws identified while he was with Roach?

I saw some moments of decidedly better defensive movement, but yes he still needs to work on things.

freddie is a good trainer...but like most trainers...they revert to "more" instead of careful look at mechanics and subtle changes. khan came to freddie extremely flawed....and added some little things to become better. probably the best thing they did for him while he was with freddie was match him appropriately to rebuild his confidence. they even got him a title in the process. that's all fine...but when it's time to step up, those flaws come back to bite u in the ass.

at this point...khan's flaws are being exposed more. he'd do himself a big favor by disappearing for a while and spending some serious time with virgil hunter and retool. he is young and can be something special...but he has to throw out the old...and make way for the new. he may have to give up a year of his career and the big paydays that come with it...but it will be well worth it when he comes back solid defensively.

ward did it when he let go of his hbo contract and flew under the radar fighting easy fights to help him develop his new style. khan can do the same...he just needs to be patient and trust what virgil is teaching him. his chin can use the break as well.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:34 PM