Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This weekend of boxing.
mitukczuk
post Apr 28 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

A little recap and some thoughts on whats happened this weekend.

1) Something was not right in Martinez's win over Murray. I am not jumping on the "hes getting old" bandwagon but I am starting to think he is losing a step or two. He sometimes has moments where he looks like an ordinary fighter. This saturday he had more than enough of them.

2) Zab Judah lost but he is NOT done yet. To me he looked pretty damn good against Garcia. Danny will give everyone a run for their money but I think Zab showed us that Danny is beatable if you tag him good. The dude just stops punching when hes hurt. Literally!

3) Amir Khan won a close decision over Julio Diaz. I wholeheartedly disagree with the decision (I had it 115-113 both times I watched the fight) and you are more than welcome to disagree with my scoring as well. To me Amir looked very limited and uncomfortable. Some people saw improvements in his D. I didn't. The only thing I liked was his jab - looked strong. I have never heard about Diaz before and...shame on me. Solid fighter!

4) Arreola came in overweight and looked terrible against Stiverne. Although I am a fan of his, someone who seems to be unable to control his weight should not be involved in boxing period.

5) Speaking about overweight....Toney lost a narrow decision against Browne and should retire.

6) Audley "The Glass Ass" Harrison was koed in the 1st by Wilder. Deontay was swinging like a windmill !!! Nuff said.

Toughts ?

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Apr 28 2013, 01:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Apr 28 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

To me, Arreola always looks terrible.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 28 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Khan was 114-113 for me

Judah is knowhere near done and I hope he brings this mentality back again when he fights, maybe a rematch with Khan??

If Martinez did look as bad as am reading, expect either a Julio Jr rematch, or a Canelo fight.

Fuck Fraudley.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Apr 28 2013, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 28 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Ironically with this lost Judah's stock went up. If he fought like that from round 7 on he would of won. Danny looked flustered and confused at times. he knew he was ahead early and thought Zab was going die out. Danny should avoid Matthysee by all means because that guy would knock his block off.

Martinez I gave the benefit out the doubt. He came off of knee surgery, he fought a very hard fighter and the butterflies had to be going. He was fighting in front of his home town.

Khan is in the wrong sport with a chin like his. You are born with it. Like Mayweather said in order to be a good boxer you have to think, have a good chin, and heart. Khan lacks two out of the three.

I told yawl Chris was going to get rocked. If he came in around 230 or 225 he would of won. He gassed out after the 6th round. When Stiverne broke his nose that made matters even worse.

Canelo should never wear his hair like that. Dude is suspect. It is funny that he is cheering for Guerrero. If he shows up Mayweather may lose. I wonder what the press conference and weigh ins will be like. It would be amazing if the two fathers get into it. Ruben has been talking major trash.

Wilder needs to tighten up on his punches. If he fights anyone with experience real experience, he is getting the Paul Williams treatment all day.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 28 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I just know I had a ball this weekend. It was almost TOO much boxing. I couldn't keep up. I missed most of the Arreola vs Stiverne fight and the Quillen KO (I literally had JUST turned the channel). Ironically, 2 of the losers this weekend (Judah and Murray), probably did more for their cause than the guys who beat them.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 28 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I'm a Arreola fan but he needs to make some drastic changes. I almost feel bad for him because it's apparent that he really wants to be HW champ but he's going to need the biggest make over in Boxing history for that to happen.

Martinez has lost a step, some may blame it on the knee surgery but I think defensively he was there to be hit and Murray obliged him on numerous occasions.

I didn't even pay attention to the James Toney fight but when I saw the images of the fight and saw that gut, I knew he had lost. He resorted back to the same stuff that started his downfall in the first place. I really want to see Toney hang the gloves up but I think he still has money problems so I expect to see him fight on

Khan was Khan, I don't think we'll see Virgil's true impact on him until he gets into another big fight, which probably will be sometime later this year. Deontay Wilder did what he was supposed to do but those punches at the end were ridiculous lol...he needs some work. He is clearly talented but it's something I can't quite put my finger on about him just yet

Zab and Danny gave a great show last night. Zab exposed some flaws that no one knew about Danny until now. Zab's stock has went up even in a loss because he performed in the face of adversity, overall it was a great night of Boxing and I'm surprised I got through it all but it was well worth it

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 28 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

In all fairness to Martinez he did not look to be fully recovered in a boxing sense from his knee operation. He also took Murray lightly... talking of koing him in 8 and things of that nature. I mean they said he was training in his hotel room LMAO.... they showed footage of him doing just that due to political unrest in the area

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Apr 28 2013, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Apr 28 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,802

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 28 2013, 01:04 PM) *

1) Something was not right in Martinez's win over Murray. I am not jumping on the "hes getting old" bandwagon but I am starting to think he is losing a step or two. He sometimes has moments where he looks like an ordinary fighter. This saturday he had more than enough of them.

2) Zab Judah lost but he is NOT done yet. To me he looked pretty damn good against Garcia. Danny will give everyone a run for their money but I think Zab showed us that Danny is beatable if you tag him good. The dude just stops punching when hes hurt. Literally!

3) Amir Khan won a close decision over Julio Diaz. I wholeheartedly disagree with the decision (I had it 115-113 both times I watched the fight) and you are more than welcome to disagree with my scoring as well. To me Amir looked very limited and uncomfortable. Some people saw improvements in his D. I didn't. The only thing I liked was his jab - looked strong. I have never heard about Diaz before and...shame on me. Solid fighter!

4) Arreola came in overweight and looked terrible against Stiverne. Although I am a fan of his, someone who seems to be unable to control his weight should not be involved in boxing period.

5) Speaking about overweight....Toney lost a narrow decision against Browne and should retire.

6) Audley "The Glass Ass" Harrison was koed in the 1st by Wilder. Deontay was swinging like a windmill !!! Nuff said.

Toughts ?

Turned the Martinez fight....couldn't stand it

It was interesting to see Zab come on late. He usually quits. I thought Zab let him off the hook a couple times. I think Broner
Garcia loses to Broner.

Amir is Amir...its always going to be interesting. I will tune in cuz I know he's probably going to go down and get up and fight.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Apr 28 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 28 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Toughts ?

Martinez looked the way I thought he would look. It may not have resulted the way I thought, but when u look at his performance in movement, I can't help but throw the age factor in, not nessasarily for his over all performance but the way the leg injury effected his movement. U take his movement away and he's gonna get hit because he doesent look to me like he can block for shit. I also read he has a broken hand from the fight with Murray and if so, that in it self just tells me that we will continue to see flaws until someone skilled enough WILL capitalize.

Zab did his thing but he waited to long and I don't blaim him. Garcia had a lot of steam in him and when a bit of that left him, Zab was able to capitalize on mistakes as a true veteran would. Kudos to Garcia though. He came into Brooklyn and did his thing, even while having more than just the fight to worry about. This the 2nd time I missed a fight with him at the Barclay SMH, but hey I couldn't pass on the playoff lol.

SMH at Amir Khan. I see why this guy has plans on retirement at 30 (if that still is his intentions), but I got to again give him kudos too because no matter how many times he gets chin checked and dropped he still sticks around and is willing to fight... But I hope it's not for to long and to the point that he develops and slur in his speech.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Apr 29 2013, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
flazi
post Apr 29 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #10

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

gambit, you live in crooklyn and didn't go to the fights? smh. the atmosphere looked great. i must go there soon.

martinez found out the hard way that your knee is never 100% after a surgery, whether it be mental or physical you will have some ill effects for about 6 months after. add to the fact that murray was way bigger, he looked like a light heavy in there.

zab's heart and focus impressed me. i was waiting for him to implode but lo and behold he kept it together and got stronger. wow. imagine had he had this maturity against baldomir.

amir khan has the heart of a lion but the chin of a mouse. can't seem to miss him with the left. virgil can't fix whats wrong with him but he can teach him some things to improve his offense.

i saw arreola a few weeks back and he was in shape, about 240. maybe he had a mental lapse and binged cause he was holding lots of water weight and was very sluggish. Stivierne mixed head and body punches like no recent heavy has in long time.

was it me or was quillin way huger than guerrero? guerrero had no shot but he fought valiently.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:57 PM