Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> GOAT in Weightclass
mgrover
post May 1 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

It's kinda hard to put someone in front of someone else but to just keep everyone to there own weight classes

Heavyweight - Tyson
Cruiserweight - Holyfield
Light heavyweight - Roy Jones Jr
Super middleweight - Roy Jones Jr
Middleweight - Hopkins
Light middleweight
Welterweight
Light welterweight
Lightweight
Junior lightweight
Featherweight
Junior Featherweight
Bantamweight
Super flyweight
Flyweight
Light flyweight
Minimumweight

Who was the greatest in these weight classes, I personally haven't seen enough to be able to honestly fill every single slot. Am supposed to be revising for an exam so ill finish the list later

This post has been edited by mgrover: May 1 2013, 01:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
happygocampy
post May 4 2013, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,569

Heavyweight - Joe Louis, in his prime i feel he was better than Ali, he could punch like a mule's kick and had amazing stamina bringing his power into the late rounds, an early Ali would get KO'd, a primed Ali's rope a dope would fail, imho of course.

Cruiserweight - Evander Holyfield. Pathetic weight class, no comment.

Light Heavyweight - Bob Foster, this guy was amazing at throwing fast, hard KO punches from blind angles most fighters never saw. He wouldn't just put guys down, he'd put guys out cold.

Super Middleweight - Roy Jones Jr, At this weight class, even with no chin he was simply amazing nobody else would be able to catch him in his prime.

Middleweight - Harry Greb, don't bother going to look for video of this guy, you won't find it. Going out on a limb just from reading a biography on him, this guy was pretty amazing. Fought with a blind right eye the last 5 years of his career and passed away at a young 32. If you were to ever read 1 book on a fighter, this guy's bio is worth the read.

Junior Middleweight - Thomas Hearns, even more of a beast @ Welter, but sadly wasn't the greatest there, but hell i'll call him the greatest Junior middle.

Welterweight - Sugar Ray Robinson, no explanation needed.

Junior Welterweight - Aaron Pryor, This was a tough choice but lets be honest, this was Pryor's weight class.

Lightweight - Roberto Duran, this is the toughest division to choose, such rich history. I however think a young primed Duran may have been the best ever at this weight.

Junior lightweight - Floyd Mayweather, i actually wanted to put Arguello here, but i have to be honest, a prime Floyd would outbox a prime Arguello.

Featherweight - Willie Pep, no explanation needed.

Junior Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez, the guy was just devastating, in his prime i don't think any other Junior Feather would have much chance standing against him.

Bantamweight - Tie, Eder Jofre and Carlos Zarate, Yet another history rich division. Jofre had quite a great run in this weight class and many would pick him over Zarate, he even retired, cameback fighting at Featherweight, looked amazing there and won a title.. Zarate was an absolute beast at this weight, he eventually moved up in weight to fight Wilfredo Gomez and got stopped. Even though Zarate was only 27 at the time he looked old and crappy in that fight. Too bad him and Jofre were 1 generation apart, would have liked to see that fight at this weight.

Super flyweight - Johnny Tapia, Honorable mention to Khaosai Galaxy, the guy had some pop, but Tapia was just a better boxer.

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde, without question, old school but anyone who reads boxing history would agree.

Junior Flyweight - Michael Carbajal, wish he was born a decade earlier and we could have seen him fight Zapata and Chang. I think he was better than both, but they are definately worth mentioning.

Strawweight - Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez, no brainer, dominated the division and retired undefeated without any controversy.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (happygocampy @ May 4 2013, 01:54 AM) *
Heavyweight - Joe Louis, in his prime i feel he was better than Ali, he could punch like a mule's kick and had amazing stamina bringing his power into the late rounds, an early Ali would get KO'd, a primed Ali's rope a dope would fail, imho of course.

Cruiserweight - Evander Holyfield. Pathetic weight class, no comment.

Light Heavyweight - Bob Foster, this guy was amazing at throwing fast, hard KO punches from blind angles most fighters never saw. He wouldn't just put guys down, he'd put guys out cold.

Super Middleweight - Roy Jones Jr, At this weight class, even with no chin he was simply amazing nobody else would be able to catch him in his prime.

Middleweight - Harry Greb, don't bother going to look for video of this guy, you won't find it. Going out on a limb just from reading a biography on him, this guy was pretty amazing. Fought with a blind right eye the last 5 years of his career and passed away at a young 32. If you were to ever read 1 book on a fighter, this guy's bio is worth the read.

Junior Middleweight - Thomas Hearns, even more of a beast @ Welter, but sadly wasn't the greatest there, but hell i'll call him the greatest Junior middle.

Welterweight - Sugar Ray Robinson, no explanation needed.

Junior Welterweight - Aaron Pryor, This was a tough choice but lets be honest, this was Pryor's weight class.

Lightweight - Roberto Duran, this is the toughest division to choose, such rich history. I however think a young primed Duran may have been the best ever at this weight.

Junior lightweight - Floyd Mayweather, i actually wanted to put Arguello here, but i have to be honest, a prime Floyd would outbox a prime Arguello.

Featherweight - Willie Pep, no explanation needed.

Junior Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez, the guy was just devastating, in his prime i don't think any other Junior Feather would have much chance standing against him.

Bantamweight - Tie, Eder Jofre and Carlos Zarate, Yet another history rich division. Jofre had quite a great run in this weight class and many would pick him over Zarate, he even retired, cameback fighting at Featherweight, looked amazing there and won a title.. Zarate was an absolute beast at this weight, he eventually moved up in weight to fight Wilfredo Gomez and got stopped. Even though Zarate was only 27 at the time he looked old and crappy in that fight. Too bad him and Jofre were 1 generation apart, would have liked to see that fight at this weight.

Super flyweight - Johnny Tapia, Honorable mention to Khaosai Galaxy, the guy had some pop, but Tapia was just a better boxer.

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde, without question, old school but anyone who reads boxing history would agree.

Junior Flyweight - Michael Carbajal, wish he was born a decade earlier and we could have seen him fight Zapata and Chang. I think he was better than both, but they are definately worth mentioning.

Strawweight - Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez, no brainer, dominated the division and retired undefeated without any controversy.

great list.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- mgrover   GOAT in Weightclass   May 1 2013, 01:40 PM
- - daprofessor   Heavyweight - Muhammad Ali Cruiserweight - Evande...   May 1 2013, 06:23 PM
|- - The Original MrFactor   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 07:23 PM...   May 1 2013, 08:23 PM
||- - daprofessor   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 1 2013, 09...   May 1 2013, 08:24 PM
|- - mitukczuk   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 07:23 PM...   May 2 2013, 06:31 AM
||- - daprofessor   QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 2 2013, 07:31 AM) ...   May 2 2013, 02:17 PM
||- - mitukczuk   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 2 2013, 03:17 PM...   May 3 2013, 01:11 AM
|||- - daprofessor   QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 3 2013, 02:11 AM) ...   May 3 2013, 02:02 PM
||- - The Original MrFactor   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 2 2013, 03:17 PM...   May 4 2013, 07:07 AM
||- - Plah   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 4 2013, 08...   May 4 2013, 09:20 PM
||- - daprofessor   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 4 2013, 08...   May 6 2013, 07:35 PM
||- - Cshel86   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 4 2013, 08...   May 6 2013, 10:44 PM
|- - bnoles4life   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 07:23 PM...   May 2 2013, 07:48 AM
||- - daprofessor   QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 2 2013, 08:48 AM...   May 2 2013, 02:18 PM
|- - sduck   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2013, 06:23 PM...   May 2 2013, 08:32 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (sduck @ May 2 2013, 09:32 PM) You ...   May 3 2013, 02:00 PM
|- - sduck   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 3 2013, 02:00 PM...   May 4 2013, 01:07 AM
- - mgrover   I put Hopkins there because I haven't really s...   May 2 2013, 02:45 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (mgrover @ May 2 2013, 03:45 PM) I ...   May 2 2013, 03:14 PM
- - mgrover   What was that guy called he was black, had a chopp...   May 3 2013, 02:22 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (mgrover @ May 3 2013, 03:22 PM) Wh...   May 3 2013, 02:49 PM
|- - mgrover   QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 3 2013, 08:49 PM...   May 3 2013, 03:45 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (mgrover @ May 3 2013, 04:45 PM) cl...   May 3 2013, 03:50 PM
- - klonopinz   I know i might get my throat slit for saying this,...   May 3 2013, 04:48 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (klonopinz @ May 3 2013, 05:48 PM) ...   May 3 2013, 06:36 PM
- - happygocampy   Heavyweight - Joe Louis, in his prime i feel he wa...   May 4 2013, 12:54 AM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (happygocampy @ May 4 2013, 01:54 A...   May 6 2013, 07:38 PM
- - klonopinz   IM surprised nobody gave at least an honorabke men...   May 6 2013, 10:03 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 11:42 AM