> The Kard......Mayweathers
mitukczuk
post May 5 2013, 07:22 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

Obligatory post-fight Mayweather topic.

But not about Floyd in particular. I was wondering - What makes trainers from the Mayweather clan so successful? Of course they have had their ups and downs, but do you think the knowledge is due to them being fighters themselves once?
It is surprising that Roger and Floyd Sr. are not healthy and their minds are rather slow but they are able to create a gameplan, that is so succesful. It takes a fighter to put it into practice but since the Marquez fight (not talking about the weight issue etc) I noticed they are pretty spot on when it comes to their observations.
I don't necessarily think Floyd needs a gameplan as he is fighting naturally and can adjust, but "like I said before" not many trainers can predict a fight like them.

I am not saying other trainers can't do it, but since Money has never lost it beggs the question....

On another note - It was great to hear Sr's voice during the fight. In the corner, it was pretty much similar to Roger - "Keep doing what you doing" but during the fight itself it was nice to hear Sr's voice.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: May 5 2013, 07:24 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
mgrover
post May 5 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Every family has a business, boxing is the Mayweathers.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post May 5 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Its not just the trainers. You need the right fighter as well. How many fighters out there that dont drink, do drugs, and always stay in shape and dont blow up between fights? Not many of those kind of fighters out there. Then you add all the natural talent on top of that.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 5 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2013, 07:22 AM) *

But not about Floyd in particular. I was wondering - What makes trainers from the Mayweather clan so successful? Of course they have had their ups and downs, but do you think the knowledge is due to them being fighters themselves once?
It is surprising that Roger and Floyd Sr. are not healthy and their minds are rather slow but they are able to create a gameplan, that is so succesful. It takes a fighter to put it into practice but since the Marquez fight (not talking about the weight issue etc) I noticed they are pretty spot on when it comes to their observations.
I don't necessarily think Floyd needs a gameplan as he is fighting naturally and can adjust, but "like I said before" not many trainers can predict a fight like them.

I am not saying other trainers can't do it, but since Money has never lost it beggs the question....

On another note - It was great to hear Sr's voice during the fight. In the corner, it was pretty much similar to Roger - "Keep doing what you doing" but during the fight itself it was nice to hear Sr's voice.

To answer your question with a simple word: EXPERIENCE!! All of the Mayweathers (Sr, Roger and Jeff) have knowledge from being in the ring for years as fighters, observers and Trainers and that is invaluable, now when you couple all that experience into a person (Jr) who was born into this pedigree and from 2 years old up until now and add that one person is a supremely conditioned athlete who is tougher in chin than most give him credit for, defensively the best the sport has ever seen and brilliantly offensive plus has the ring IQ of a collegiate level Professor then you have the total recipe for success and that is why they are that (successful).

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: May 5 2013, 11:26 AM

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 5 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

They train boxers to be boxers....not robots. The best fighters fight off of instincts. If you have to do to much instruction during a fight, you probably don't have an good fighter in your corner.
i just wish they had more naturally gifted fighters come to them. J'Leon Love has clearly been coached up brilliantly but I don't see much natural ability. His hand speed and punching power is just ok. I wish they could get their hands on some guys with natural gifts like Berto early on before they develop dumb habits. Guys who are either lightning fast, can really crack or half great reflexes.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 5 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 5 2013, 01:17 PM) *
They train boxers to be boxers....not robots. The best fighters fight off of instincts. If you have to do to much instruction during a fight, you probably don't have an good fighter in your corner.
i just wish they had more naturally gifted fighters come to them. J'Leon Love has clearly been coached up brilliantly but I don't see much natural ability. His hand speed and punching power is just ok. I wish they could get their hands on some guys with natural gifts like Berto early on before they develop dumb habits. Guys who are either lightning fast, can really crack or half great reflexes.

Agreed 100%.
Some fighters are looking at their trainers as if they didn't know how to throw a single punch. Some actually don't. But sometimes a good advice is needed. I really liked Sr's pointers during the fight and Floyd responding to them.

It surprises me that none of those lil' Mayweathers box. the only one I have ever seen is lil' Roger. But I guess that's due to the fact they don't have to fight out of the "ghetto" or bad environment.

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 6 2013, 04:02 AM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Most boxers usually have one trainer, and with one or two boxing minds in their camps, FMJ has three and more. Jeff, Roger, and Floyd Sr. all have boxing and training experience, and they live and obsess over the sport. All they know and care for is boxing.

I also think why they haven't been so successful as trainers, is because they have yet to have a gem of champion quality, nor anywhere near the level of FMJ.

This post has been edited by sduck: May 6 2013, 04:04 AM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2013, 08:22 AM) *

there is no teacher like actual experience. these guys have been there and done that....but there is also a lot of intelligence to go with that experience. make no mistake about it....the mayweathers...all of them...are very intelligent when it comes to the sport of boxing. you don't spend the amount of time they have in the gyms...in the ring....and not come away with something. floyd sr, roger and jeff all fought professionally...and they came up in one of the best areas on the planet for boxing....the midwest. you are talking skill and understanding that has been passed on for generations by brilliant boxing minds that we have never heard of. floyd jr is in the position he is in because of them. i can only think of one other family that rivals their success and that is another midwest family....the spinks.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i watched floyd sr train francisco bojado when i first came to cali. if you go back and look at the fights bojado had with him...u can see the work floyd sr is capable of. when i saw how he transformed oscar....just switched his style....late in his career.... i was simply amazed. he added years on to dlh's career imo by teaching him great defense and boxing techniques. he has done the same for just a few guys. he got criticized big time for his work or lack thereof with hatton...but to be honest, hatton wasn't a willing student and wasn't patient enough to put in the work to make the transition. it also didn't help that his ppl didn't understand that transitions take time and hatton should have been allowed more time to make that transition before being served up to pac.

floyd sr. is going to be a hot comodity after that performance last saturday. there are plenty of guys in TMT that can benefit from his knowledge. i thought the cuban kid and love both loss their fights.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 7 2013, 03:13 AM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 5 2013, 01:17 PM) *

Well said

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 04:54 PM