Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So Who Beats Floyd? Past or Present?
Jack 1000
post May 5 2013, 06:02 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

It would take a past legend to beat him from 147 to 154 and even that would not be easy. Today, can't see anyone beating Floyd. From the past, I would say Leonard could do it, probably Hearns as well. Duran, ONLY if he could show what he showed at Lightweight and the first Leonard fight. More than likely, it's a repeat of Duran quitting like in the second Leonard fight. Benitez might hold him to a draw. He kills Curry, Starling, Breland.

Robinson beats him because he was so good there is no second.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 5 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,342

robinson, duran, hearns and leonard. benitez would be very interesting. i would not right off prime mosley or de la hoya either. quartey with his jab and vernon forrest with his size and jab presents tough challenges.

floyd once said aaron pryor would be his toughest matchup. i could certainly see that.

one great who i really can't see beating floyd that most people do is pernell whitaker. i don't think sweat pea could handle floyd.

This post has been edited by hitman: May 5 2013, 06:41 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 5 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Hearns, Robinson and a Draw with Leonard but Duran would've been too easy to hit and too slow, Forrest would've given him trouble but I'm not sure he wins. Prime or not Mosley and Oscar would've gotten beaten which is why they never wanted Floyd early when May was calling them out but neither wanted it. Benitez would've been tough and it would've been close but I think Floyd's defense and speed would've gotten him past in that bout.

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 5 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Super Flyweight

duran was not slow and was definitely not easy to hit. his defense was superb. the duran that fought leonard the first time was capable of beating any fighter who ever lived.

This post has been edited by hitman: May 5 2013, 07:10 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 5 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (hitman @ May 5 2013, 07:10 PM) *
duran was not slow and was definitely not easy to hit. his defense was superb. the duran that fought leonard the first time was capable of beating any fighter who ever lived.

Look at Duran at 147, he was getting pasted by Hearns, he had no defense whatsoever and facing Floyd with that lack of D would allow Money to potshot all day long. I remember the first fight with SRL and I thought Duran was mostly successful because Sugar fought Roberto's fight and not his own which was obviously proven in the infamous "No Mas" fight.

Yes, that first version of Duran was made to look more than what he was vs SRL but we all got to see the real Robert against a Master Boxer (of which Floyd and SRL are) and what the results will be and we saw what Tommy did to him.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: May 5 2013, 07:15 PM

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 5 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 5 2013, 08:15 PM) *
Look at Duran at 147, he was getting pasted by Hearns, he had no defense whatsoever and facing Floyd with that lack of D would allow Money to potshot all day long. I remember the first fight with SRL and I thought Duran was mostly successful because Sugar fought Roberto's fight and not his own which was obviously proven in the infamous "No Mas" fight.

Yes, that first version of Duran was made to look more than what he was vs SRL but we all got to see the real Robert against a Master Boxer (of which Floyd and SRL are) and what the results will be and we saw what Tommy did to him.

duran fought hearns at 154 and that was not duran at his best. not even close.

duran's defense was great. you're way off on that. he was a master at slipping punches.

This post has been edited by hitman: May 5 2013, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Plah
post May 5 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

SRR, Hearns, Forrest, The Hawk.

I think he outpoints Duran, Leonard and Hagler

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 5 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (hitman @ May 5 2013, 07:40 PM) *
duran fought hearns at 154 and that was not duran at his best. not even close.

duran's defense was great. you're way off on that. he was a master at slipping punches.

Really? 7lbs make a difference when being able to slip punches?? Sounds like you're the one who's way off; how do you justify a guy being able to slip punches at 147 but then he gains 7lbs and that makes him unable to slip punches, as though he loses his defensive abilities because he gains weight?? Please explain that?

Duran's defense may have been great but not in that fight and neither was it in the rematch with SRL, i just saw what I saw and recognized that a guy who wasn't able to execute his gameplan against guys who were able to fight their's lost the bout because the holes in his great defense was exploited.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 5 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think hearns length would be troublesome, I like hagler against him. The Leonard fight would be close to me, him and PEP would be a dream match for me since he's my all time favorite. Him and Mosley in the lighter divisions would have been awesome

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 5 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #10

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I do think Pryor and a prime Arguello would have been too much for Mayweather. Well maybe close at Welterweight. Alexis was Jr Welter. Pryor was unstoppable with the two Arguello fights, but didn't really have the kind of solid opposition after that. How they would do would depend on weight stipulations here. I can't remember now, but didn't Howard Davis beat Pryor in the Amaturs? Davis was a good boxer, but did not have a good chin. I cannot imagine someone beating Pryor with a bad chin! Of course, Pryor could be hurt and floored, but it only increased his agrresiveness.

Hagler beats Floyd, because of the weight and Marvin's killer instict in fights. However,not easy. If Hagler pays attention to the lights like he did against Leonard and Duran, Floyd would have a shot. Marvin had trouble at times with movers, and Floyd would apply that skill. But could Floyd take pressure in the trenches if Marvin fought pissed?

Jack

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 04:35 PM