> Did Floyd Throw Roger Under the Bus?
Dolimite
post May 6 2013, 08:34 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

http://fighthype.com/news/article14365.html

It is no hiding I am a Mayweather fan but after seeing this video I am not sure if Floyd is making excuses or does he have a legitimate claim? It seemed throughout his 17 year career Roger has been there and not only that but has been dedicated to his nephew. I don't really know what to make of this. I know Roger doesn't give great instruction but damn. This rubbed me the wrong way. But I may be tripping. However, I only have seen frustration from his corner and that was against Chavez and I forget where they were fighting. Roger was saying that Floyd should be breezing through the guy but Floyd was telling him it wasn't that easy. So I do not know. I have no idea how to to take this. Its shady either way. Last year you were calling your dad a cab driver who could not box for shit (i am glad Sr. and Jr. reunited) and saying Roger was the best trainer and now this. Some bullshit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post May 6 2013, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Its Floyds career so he can choose whoever he wants to work his corner. He says Roger is loosing his vision. So are you now calling him a liar? Besides he didnt fire him entirely. Last All Access I watched Roger was right there working the mitts. I didnt see Roger in the crowd though. That surprized me more than anything.

This post has been edited by leonthegee: May 6 2013, 09:38 AM

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 6 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

Floyd was always very respectful when he talked about Roger not being in the corner. I am 100% sure they had a nice calm talk at the big boy mansion about the issue and I am absolutely adamant, that there is no bad blood between them.
Floyd Sr's focus on defense is in my opinion really the best way to go at this point in Floyd's career. Floyd ain't no fool, he knows what hes doing.

Get used to the fact Floyd is actually a good guy man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 6 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (leonthegee @ May 6 2013, 06:37 AM) *
Its Floyds career so he can choose whoever he wants to work his corner. He says Roger is loosing his vision. So are you now calling him a liar? Besides he didnt fire him entirely. Last All Access I watched Roger was right there working the mitts. I didnt see Roger in the crowd though. That surprized me more than anything.

That is my point he was not there, not even for the post interview or press conference. He didn't even walk out with May. That is all I am saying. I am not calling anyone a liar.

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 6 2013, 07:22 AM) *
Floyd was always very respectful when he talked about Roger not being in the corner. I am 100% sure they had a nice calm talk at the big boy mansion about the issue and I am absolutely adamant, that there is no bad blood between them.
Floyd Sr's focus on defense is in my opinion really the best way to go at this point in Floyd's career. Floyd ain't no fool, he knows what hes doing.

Get used to the fact Floyd is actually a good guy man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know Floyd is a good before his transformation into letting the world see who and what he really is. I am not saying there is bad blood but it seems that Roger has or is being iced out. Just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 6 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

More importantly, I wonder if Roger is ok. Didn't know he needed eye surgery

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 6 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 6 2013, 09:06 AM) *
More importantly, I wonder if Roger is ok. Didn't know he needed eye surgery

He was in Love's corner so he seemed fine. I know when he told Love to take more risk is when Love was floored by Rosado. So maybe Floyd Roger would tell Floyd to "keep doing what you are doing" which really isn't instruction. I hope their relationship is still in tact. Roger has been loyal.

The little boy, on the last episode of all Access, was that Roger's son? They seemed close.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 6 2013, 01:15 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 6 2013, 11:40 AM) *
[/b]
I know Floyd is a good before his transformation into letting the world see who and what he really is. I am not saying there is bad blood but it seems that Roger has or is being iced out. Just my opinion.

I don't think he is being iced out. Floyd is a perfectionist and if he feels he needs to work on his defense, no wonder he took back his father. Again, I am sure everythings good at the Mayweather circle. Naturally, the main trainer gets the bigger spotlight and since Floyd didn't want the media to create a nonexisting feud between Roger and Floyd Sr I understand why he is not getting that much time in front of the camera etc. And I am sure Roger is fine with that. I am worried about his health though...:/...

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: May 6 2013, 01:22 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 6 2013, 01:22 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

a little bit yeah

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 02:37 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 6 2013, 09:34 AM) *
http://fighthype.com/news/article14365.html

It is no hiding I am a Mayweather fan but after seeing this video I am not sure if Floyd is making excuses or does he have a legitimate claim? It seemed throughout his 17 year career Roger has been there and not only that but has been dedicated to his nephew. I don't really know what to make of this. I know Roger doesn't give great instruction but damn. This rubbed me the wrong way. But I may be tripping. However, I only have seen frustration from his corner and that was against Chavez and I forget where they were fighting. Roger was saying that Floyd should be breezing through the guy but Floyd was telling him it wasn't that easy. So I do not know. I have no idea how to to take this. Its shady either way. Last year you were calling your dad a cab driver who could not box for shit (i am glad Sr. and Jr. reunited) and saying Roger was the best trainer and now this. Some bullshit.

first...let me say that i have always believed floyd sr to be the superior trainer. i don't believe it's a secret that roger has been more offensive minded when it comes to boxing in comparison to sr who is more defensive minded. with that being said, it is roger who inherited a complete fighter imo...so there really was no teaching/coaching so to speak. roger is just a second pair of eyes to floyd. sometimes he sees things...sometimes he doesn't. floyd sr is a second brain to floyd. floyd himself said it...when something isn't working floyd sr gives him other options. there's no "keep doing what you're doing..." from him.

floyd jr is a chip off the old block. they both have massive egos. i've always viewed floyd jr's disrespect in the past as a way of him becoming his own man and being a jr myself....i sort of get it. i am happy to see sr back in his corner and i don't believe floyd jr's statements are throwing roger under the bus...they're just truth. that's not to say roger isn't a great trainer...he is in comparison to most, but floyd sr is the best. period.

the floyd i saw in the ring last saturday looked 10 yrs younger. the change that sticks out the most to me is having his pops back in his corner and in the gym. if that isn't proof enough for everyone...then i don't know what it will take to convince u.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 6 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I dont think he threw Roger under the bus, he just put the facts out there. Why have Roger be his chief corner man, when he's having vision problems. I wonder how he does the mitt work, if that's the case, but hell, mitt work and an actual fight are two different things.

I just dont like how butthurt Sr has been over the years about not being able to train his son, regardless of him just saying that he wants a "relationship" with him. The relationship that they've always appeared to have, was boxing itself, but those egos of theirs can easily ruin that again.

If Floyd is getting hit (like he did in the Cotto fight), and Roger is just telling him to "keep doing what you're doing", then it makes Floyd look older and "over the hill", though he doesn't appear to be.

It almost makes it seem like he's fighting to prove the public wrong, rather than moving on to something else when one thing doesn't seem to work. It was dead obvious that Floyd couldn't land anything clean & effective on Cotto for a vast majority of the fight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 11:56 PM