IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> whispers are that Floyd vs Guerrero did less than 1 mil in ppv buys, ppv #'s from may 5th (Post Closed-Circuit Figures Too)
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 7 2013, 08:28 PM) *
I still don't get all this ggg talk, he has yet to fight anyone at all.

quillen/ggg/martinez/geale are all champions. i have seen enough of ggg to say he beats the other champions.

floyd fighting anyone of them would be a HUGE accomplishment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 7 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 07:56 PM) *
quillen/ggg/martinez/geale are all champions. i have seen enough of ggg to say he beats the other champions.

floyd fighting anyone of them would be a HUGE accomplishment.

Of course it would, he walks at about his fighting weight 147. So he would be in the low 150s on fight night fighting guys that on fight night would be in the mid 170s to low 180s in some cases. They probably wouldn't feel his shots ay all at that weight. But everyone's entitled to their own dream fights.

All I've seen of ggg is him stopping bute in the ams, that's the only noteworthy name I've ever seen him fight and I thought bute was winning before he got caught. And he's no rigo when it comes to his amateur pedigree so that can't be his excuse, dude needs to fight someone! Macklin will be a good start, that should be a good fight!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 7 2013, 08:49 PM) *
Those are unrealistic match ups and GGG as well as Sergio are still unknown to the casual fan. If you break away from PPV that means you have to find a way to make up for that lost money. I think PPV is bullshit because it cost way to much and you may or may not get a good value on what you paid for. It is 50/50. I think you are spot on.

once upon a time...sponsors/networks used to put up all the money for these huge fights. we could get back to that if these guys would understand how to lure that sponsorship money. all the street hood shit sells to the general public...but to the guys signing them checks, that shit is a turn off.

as for ggg and sergio being too big...i agree, they are big....but if floyd wants to prove to the public that he is the greatest of all time, he's going to have to step out of his current division to do it because there are no real challenges at 147 for him. plus i think he beats canelo at 154 fairly easily. who else is there at 154 that could possibly give floyd a hard time? at one time i thought trout would...but after seeing his performance against canelo..i'm not so sure. i can't see lara, molina, martirosyan or any one else at 154 giving him any kind of trouble at all. 160 is where the highest stakes lie. we're talking the stuff that all time greats are made of. he can retire off of something like that easily. at this point...sergio is the weakest link at 160...and honestly i've always thought floyd could beat him. with his pops back in his corner...i'm even more convinced.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 7 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Of course it would, he walks at about his fighting weight 147. So he would be in the low 150s on fight night fighting guys that on fight night would be in the mid 170s to low 180s in some cases. They probably wouldn't feel his shots ay all at that weight. But everyone's entitled to their own dream fights.

All I've seen of ggg is him stopping bute in the ams, that's the only noteworthy name I've ever seen him fight and I thought bute was winning before he got caught. And he's no rigo when it comes to his amateur pedigree so that can't be his excuse, dude needs to fight someone! Macklin will be a good start, that should be a good fight!

beating the ouma's and rosado's of the world aren't goint to help everyone understand what it is he brings to the table. i get that. as his management steps up his opposition...u'll see.

i've already said, and i stand by it...i think ggg beats everyone at 160. it's going to start with macklin.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 7 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #25

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 07:09 PM) *
i think i may be alone in thinking this is a good thing for boxing.

maybe they lower the price of ppv's?

maybe they do away with them totally?

ppv is not good for boxing.

bring boxing back to network tv where it belongs. to be honest....floyd vs anyone from 140-147 is not ppv worthy.

floyd vs canelo, martinez or ggg is ppv worthy.

I don't think at least from the customers viewpoint PPV is good for boxing at all. GGG is only known to hardcore boxing fans. Martinez who got dropped at should have lost to Murray, that's not PPV. Only Alvarez might be because he is a draw to the Latino and Mexican/Mexican American populations. Latino and Hispanic based populations are huge PPV markets. Arum and Delahoya have known this for years. Floyd needs a big name money maker to do well in the numbers. He can't dance alone and do a great PPV. Only hardcore boxing fans knew who Robert Guerrero was. That and $60-$70 for a fight where Floyd was expected to dominate easily and did so, are not strong indicators of PPV success.

The price has to be lower, much lower, and maybe Floyd and his team could look at bringing some fights to regular Showtime. Let's face it. Remember that six fight deal list? Was Alvarez even on that list? He's the only good opponent that's going to make money as a PPV.

If not Canelo, Floyd could just retire. I mean who the fuck is gonna pay $60-$70 to watch Mayweather fight Khan, (except the Brits who don't know any better?) But Spadafora? Devon Alexander? Even hard-core Mayweather fans are going to have a hard time with anybody on that list. There's just nobody good enough, outside of maybe Canelo who could give Floyd a good fight. To hang around just to stay busy when the competition isn't there. Why? There's no big dollars there. Like Floyd even said, "If it makes dollars, it makes sense." Take away Canelo there's no opponents that make sense. That's not Floyd's fault, it's just the way it is with this deal.

Jack

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 7 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #26

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I added to the topic also inquiring on any figures for the closed-circuit, (a.k.a movie theater sales?) Who payed $15-$20 for the tickets? How was the attendance and atmosphere overall?

Jack

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post May 7 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #27

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Dont you guys think its odd that this story broke the same time Pacquiao vs Rios was announced? Instead of Steve Kim they use Fat Dan. Ill wait for the offical numbers.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 8 2013, 12:39 AM
Post #28

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

Since Floyd gets another guaranteed 32 milion MINIMUM, I don't think the PPV numbers are that much important.

I agree with professor - if it didnt sell over 1 mil, maybe the prices drop.

However, I think it did....I remember that after the fight with Ortiz people were screaming 800,000 PPV buys....yeah right.

I'm expecting 1,1mil buys....and if it doesn't make over 1 mil....I still don't care (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Forbes has already its winner for 2013...by far.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 8 2013, 02:51 AM
Post #29

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I'll wait for the official numbers but if it doesn't crack a mili then Floyd is going to have to change his game plan up and get those buys up. This is just a rumor so I'll wait for official numbers but is it really surprising that it might not crack a mil? Guerrero is not known at all.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out, on one hand I hope it does crack a mil so these people who keep claiming to be fans of Boxing but are really Mayweather hunters can STFU. But on the other hand, if it doesn't reach a mil maybe we will finally see a change in the landscape as far as how these fights are broadcasted...Floyd is a boss and say what you want the guy is innovative. He can enhance his legacy even more by helping to usher in a new system in Boxing and do away with PPV's

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 8 2013, 07:36 AM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 12:45 AM) *
that's a great deal.

i just went to a local pub and watched it on a massive screen while i sipped on a pint of ale....all while being served by some very good looking waitresses. oh...the hot wings were bomb too.

that was me for the Khan fight

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:05 PM