Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Larry Merchant and Oscar De La Hoya
Dolimite
post May 8 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

Larry Merchant recently twitted that the only persons that could beat Mayweather are: Canelo and Broner!
Here is what pisses me off about this, it is not so much about Mayweather but the credit that people are so ready to give to boxers that have not really proved anything. These guys are new to the game (professionally) and all of the sudden they are kings of the sport? This is why I hate punditry. Canelo just beat his first 154 pound fighter in 5 years!
One win gets you to the top of the fight game. As far as Broner, WTF? He has speed and he is skilled but he is not discipline. he likes the lifestyle a little more than t he game right now. I think Broner's IQ in the ring is not even close to being Floyd's. Merchant, who I never liked. needs to shut the fuck up!

Oscar needs to stop being butt hurt. He thinks every up and comer will beat Floyd. I hate haters. Just promote and not sound like a jealous bitch. He did the same when he was promoting the Judah and Garcia fight. I am glad Zab called him on his shit. Be fucking professionals and stop being emotional!

This thread is not so much about Mayweather but more about certain pundits hyping up these news fighters when they have not really accomplished anything, why hype up someone before they really made their mark in boxing. Let them progress and see what they are made of. You have to earn your stripes in the boxing world. Look at the Charlo twins, I think they have more potential than any young talent out there. They will be good, but Haymon is pulling them along slowly. I don't want these fighters being shooting stars, I want them to be a supernova, lasting for awhile and earning it rather being great in the media and average in the ring. Let remember Canelo just fought someone in his weigh class and his match with Trout was hotly contested. Many felt he lost. Broner has been fighting bullshit competition but yet the pundits feel they can give the top fighter in the game trouble? Let these guys grow versus ruining them before they even begin their career.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 8 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 8 2013, 08:07 PM) *
Larry Merchant recently twitted that the only persons that could beat Mayweather are: Canelo and Broner!
Here is what pisses me off about this, it is not so much about Mayweather but the credit that people are so ready to give to boxers that have not really proved anything. These guys are new to the game (professionally) and all of the sudden they are kings of the sport? This is why I hate punditry. Canelo just beat his first 154 pound fighter in 5 years!
One win gets you to the top of the fight game. As far as Broner, WTF? He has speed and he is skilled but he is not discipline. he likes the lifestyle a little more than t he game right now. I think Broner's IQ in the ring is not even close to being Floyd's. Merchant, who I never liked. needs to shut the fuck up!

Oscar needs to stop being butt hurt. He thinks every up and comer will beat Floyd. I hate haters. Just promote and not sound like a jealous bitch. He did the same when he was promoting the Judah and Garcia fight. I am glad Zab called him on his shit. Be fucking professionals and stop being emotional!

This thread is not so much about Mayweather but more about certain pundits hyping up these news fighters when they have not really accomplished anything, why hype up someone before they really made their mark in boxing. Let them progress and see what they are made of. You have to earn your stripes in the boxing world. Look at the Charlo twins, I think they have more potential than any young talent out there. They will be good, but Haymon is pulling them along slowly. I don't want these fighters being shooting stars, I want them to be a supernova, lasting for awhile and earning it rather being great in the media and average in the ring. Let remember Canelo just fought someone in his weigh class and his match with Trout was hotly contested. Many felt he lost. Broner has been fighting bullshit competition but yet the pundits feel they can give the top fighter in the game trouble? Let these guys grow versus ruining them before they even begin their career.

if oscar had said...mayweather is going to whoop guerrero's ass!!! do u think anyone would have purchased the ppv?

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 8 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,480

I don't believe Oscar is half as dumb as he portrays. While I do feel like he would thoroughly enjoy watching Floyd have his first loss, HE IS STILL A PROMOTER. His time working with FMJ is limited therefore it is in his best interest to try to generate interest in every other fighter that he can within his stable. Folks talk a lot of shit but Floyd's contributions to the sport wont be realized and/or appreciated until he hangs up the gloves. I'm curious to see who the next big star in boxing will be and I'm even more curious to see how their PPV' #'s compare to Floyd's. As far as Larry Merchant and his opinion........ Fuck him.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 8 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 04:43 PM) *
if oscar had said...mayweather is going to whoop guerrero's ass!!! do u think anyone would have purchased the ppv?

Oscar is a promoter I get that but it is how he does it. It is personal not professional. He plays favorites. He has slick comments that is all I am saying.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 8 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 8 2013, 08:52 PM) *
Oscar is a promoter I get that but it is how he does it. It is personal not professional. He plays favorites. He has slick comments that is all I am saying.

if he has you believing all that...then he's done his job.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 8 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #6

Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 05:59 PM) *
if he has you believing all that...then he's done his job.

Explain.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 8 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 8 2013, 09:06 PM) *
Explain.

oscar is a promoter. his job is to sell the fight. so whether it's legitimate hate or not...he's selling the fight. if he has u convinced that he hates floyd...he obviously had your ear long enough for you to come to that conclusion. he sold it to u.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 9 2013, 02:29 AM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 08:44 PM) *
oscar is a promoter. his job is to sell the fight. so whether it's legitimate hate or not...he's selling the fight. if he has u convinced that he hates floyd...he obviously had your ear long enough for you to come to that conclusion. he sold it to u.

True De La Hoya is a promoter but I don't believe for one second that he and Mayweather like each other. Floyd has said as much in the past. You and Dolimite have a point but it's two sides to everything

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 9 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #9

Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 05:44 PM) *

i honestly do not believe that Oscar likes Floyd, not for one second. He deals with Floyd because he makes his company money. Floyd even said De La Hoya doesn't run the company but Shaefer does, and I believe that.

Larry Merchant has never liked any black boxer that does not show their pearly teeth and apologize for being black.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 9 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I thought Larry Merchant retired....yet I still see him call fights and constantly hear about his opinions. Go somewhere dude. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fuk.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:06 PM