Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the fabulous four, duran, leonard, hearns and hagler
daprofessor
post May 10 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

should have been the fab 5 if hagler fought benitez.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 11 2013, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

who was the best of the fab four?

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 11 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 11 2013, 05:57 AM) *
who was the best of the fab four?

In terms of record then it would be SRL with his gimme win over MH, rematch win over Duran and 1st win over TH plus the gimme he got in the 2nd fight which he should've lost (not to mention I thought he lost to Hagler too and it should've been a 15 rounder/he would've gotten starched if it was) but if you want to say who was the best then without a doubt it would be Hagler.

Marvin could do it all, fight from both the Orthodoxed and SP stances, jab was great, speed was underrated, punching power was very good, chin was unquestionable, heart the same and I don't care what the record books show-IMHO he beat SRL in that fight but the popular guy was given the decision due to showboating and fame.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 11 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

The best of the fab four? I have to say Hagler too...at least boxing wise. SRL can't be denied because he was a marketable dude with a lot of star power who drew people to tv screens. Can't deny that...But it is Hagler for sure. As I said in another thread....that guy's determination was unrivaled! True, blue collar boxing WORKER ! Toughest fighter I have ever seen in the ring....

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: May 11 2013, 10:03 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 11 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Hearns is the best... WON TITLES AT 147 154 160 168 and 175... sure he was tkod three times but the Joe Louis was KOd multiple times and is still regarded by many as the GREATEST EVER... Its is very interesting examining hearns and Hagler and the similar opposition they faced... Juan Domingo Roldan- knocked Hagler down and gave him a hard fight until Hagler stopped him in ten-- Hearns got rid of Roldan in 4 rounds...Marcus Geraldo gave Hagler ten hard rounds- Hearns dispatched him in one round. Not saying I am using this to say Hearns is better, yet it is just interesting examining how past greats did against the same opponents. Hearns in my view accomplished more in the sport. His 1991 UD win over 175 pound light heavyweight champ Virgill Hill was a great accomplishment for the former 147 pounder

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 11 2013, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
Jovi
post May 11 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Hagler just a beast. Great boxer probably the toughest man to ever step in the right. Never been Knocked down, im not counting the Rolden fight. His punches didn't look fun to take at all. The only that he didnt have better than SRL was speed, and thats why SRL dazzled against him. But other than that Hagler has it all...Might as well have called him superman in the ring. Rank 1st

SRL was awsome in all ways. I love his style, and to be able to stay in the ring with Hagler and not be KOd is a great achievement by itself, but i can see why he didnt want that rematch with Hagler haha. Sadly that fight is the reason Hagler retired :\.....When SRL was clean he could beat anyone. so gonna rank him 2nd

Tommy Hearns- Boxer with a style like my own. Tall, skinny, lanky, Powerful. The classic 1-2 punch on a super level. he could've been the best if only his chin was better. If he couldve gone all 12 rounds with Hearns who knew what would've happend. He probably wouldve got SRL out quicker too. The rematch i feel he won too but they were both so much older by then. The first fight was a great display by SRL. Id rank him 3rd just because of his chin.

Roberto Duran- Reminds me of Pacquiao now but much better because of his boxer and defense. I still need to watch him vs Hagler. He had a bad time against hagler, that Falcon punch always will give someone a bad time. out of them all i would rank him 4th but obviously still a great.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 11 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ May 11 2013, 11:38 AM) *
Hagler just a beast. Great boxer probably the toughest man to ever step in the right. Never been Knocked down, im not counting the Rolden fight. His punches didn't look fun to take at all. The only that he didnt have better than SRL was speed, and thats why SRL dazzled against him. But other than that Hagler has it all...Might as well have called him superman in the ring. Rank 1st

SRL was awsome in all ways. I love his style, and to be able to stay in the ring with Hagler and not be KOd is a great achievement by itself, but i can see why he didnt want that rematch with Hagler haha. Sadly that fight is the reason Hagler retired :\.....When SRL was clean he could beat anyone. so gonna rank him 2nd

Tommy Hearns- Boxer with a style like my own. Tall, skinny, lanky, Powerful. The classic 1-2 punch on a super level. he could've been the best if only his chin was better. If he couldve gone all 12 rounds with Hearns who knew what would've happend. He probably wouldve got SRL out quicker too. The rematch i feel he won too but they were both so much older by then. The first fight was a great display by SRL. Id rank him 3rd just because of his chin.

Roberto Duran- Reminds me of Pacquiao now but much better because of his boxer and defense. I still need to watch him vs Hagler. He had a bad time against hagler, that Falcon punch always will give someone a bad time. out of them all i would rank him 4th but obviously still a great.

I cannot disagree with you. I just feel overall Hearns accomplished more than all of them.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 11 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 11 2013, 10:28 AM) *
Hearns is the best... WON TITLES AT 147 154 160 168 and 175... sure he was tkod three times but the Joe Louis was KOd multiple times and is still regarded by many as the GREATEST EVER... Its is very interesting examining hearns and Hagler and the similar opposition they faced... Juan Domingo Roldan- knocked Hagler down and gave him a hard fight until Hagler stopped him in ten-- Hearns got rid of Roldan in 4 rounds...Marcus Geraldo gave Hagler ten hard rounds- Hearns dispatched him in one round. Not saying I am using this to say Hearns is better, yet it is just interesting examining how past greats did against the same opponents. Hearns in my view accomplished more in the sport. His 1991 UD win over 175 pound light heavyweight champ Virgill Hill was a great accomplishment for the former 147 pounder

Yes, but Hagler destroyed Hearns and he never wanted a rematch to try and redeem himself either-if he did face Marvelous again and won then I would say he's the better fighter.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 11 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 11 2013, 11:48 AM) *
Yes, but Hagler destroyed Hearns and he never wanted a rematch to try and redeem himself either-if he did face Marvelous again and won then I would say he's the better fighter.

Yes.. but Hagler's destruction of Hearns did not fold him.. He went on to accomplish more than Hagler did. A mere mortal fighter would have never been the same after what Hagler did to him, but Tommy was a gladiator despite a suspect chin. I understand your rationale on him losing to hagler yet RJJ lost to Tarver three times (Roy lost the first fight as well) yet no one will concede Tarver being better than RJJ. Jones is still regarded as the better fighter based on what he accomplished overall

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 11 2013, 12:19 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 11 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 11 2013, 12:15 PM) *
Yes.. but Hagler's destruction of Hearns did not fold him.. He went on to accomplish more than Hagler did. A mere mortal fighter would have never been the same after what Hagler did to him, but Tommy was a gladiator despite a suspect chin. I understand your rationale on him losing to hagler yet RJJ lost to Tarver three times (Roy lost the first fight as well) yet no one will concede Tarver being better than RJJ. Jones is still regarded as the better fighter based on what he accomplished overall

You have a valid point except that Roy fought Tarver 3 times, did TH go all out to rematch Hagler?? That proves something to me from the mind of TH (who I'm a huge fan of), it basically said that he knew he wasn't better and would get put to sleep again. Sure Hearns accomplished more but in terms of the mental between them we can see that not even Hearns believed he was better.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:18 PM