Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Anybody Here Have Dogs???
Cshel86
post May 12 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I've been a dog owner for the better part of 11 years, but as 3 of weeks ago, I bought two new pups from some people in the parking lot of a tire shop. They had SEVERAL pups, but I only needed 2.

One is a Jack Russell Terrier (female) and the other is an American Bulldog (male). I'm almost inclined to believe that they're mixed, but hell, I saw Labs and a couple of other breeds around the same age as them for sale, so who knows.

I had them for 2 days, and the female ("BB"...that's the only name that she responds to IF you say it FAST) ended up getting the parvo virus. It was BAD man, like real bad. Constant vomiting, diarrhea, refusing to eat AND drink, lazy, sleeping all day...it was horrible. The virus itself doesn't kill the dog, but the dehydration part that comes along with the symptoms, is what does the trick.

I took her to the vet, and these sacks of shit didn't even test her for parvo. They gave me antibiotics, a booster shot in the ass, something else for worms...and sent me on my way. I thought that she would be okay, but it got worse (same symptoms).

I was working crazy hours that week, so my mom came and picked up both of them. She ended up taking them to the Humane Society for treatment, which cost about $75 per day. They gave her an IV in her back, which left a huge quasi moto-type hump in her back and allowed the fluids to spread around her body after a couple of hours. Then they gave her a shot for anti-diarrhea, anti-vomiting, and some other shot. 3 days of that ($225 later), and she was back to her hyper self!

THEN, the male dog (Bruno) caught it because they were around each other most of the time (except the last 3 days). Unfortunately, he didn't make it, as of last Friday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif) He went to vet for the same treatment for 5 days ($375), but he was just too small to fight it off. I watched him have a seizure, lose movement in his legs, struggle to breathe, and ultimately, I left my parents house when I saw that his eyes would barely stay open as he transitioned.

With that in mind, I waited til today to find the people that sold them to me ($125 each), and explained what happened to Bruno. It took EVERYTHING inside of me to not do some stupid shit that would involve bail money. By the end of the explanation, I walked away with a free pup...which was again, an American Bulldog (male).

I may just name him Bruno...and start all over. I have "the Bruno of old's" ashes here with me...poor little fella. Anyhow, this new pup is damn near a mirror image of Bruno! Too funny.

Parvo is some serious shit, and it stays in the environment for YEARS. I actually bleached my whole yard (front and back), by deck in the back yard, and a few other things. I bleached the remaining carpet in my house, and I'm thinking of things that they both touched when they had parvo. The ONLY thing that will kill that virus, is bleach.

Anyhow, the new pup (may as well name him Bruno too), will be going to the vet for tests, when the roosters crow (do they crow?), and he'll remain in the house for about 3 or 4 weeks. He's only about 8 or 9 weeks old, while BB is about 11 weeks old. She's doing good with being outdoors, but I haven't let her step foot off this disinfected property.

Speaking of BB, this freakin' dog is handful! I actually read some stuff on how to train them, and I was in for a HUGE shocker. Come to find out, these fuckin' dogs have a high success rate!....a high success rate in training the fuckin' trainer, rather than being trained. What have I gotten myself into?

We've had a looooong week, but I'm sure she knows who's boss at this point. I still can't trust her out of my sight, nor will I...for maybe another 4 or 5 years. I had JUST taken her outside to use to restroom (for 15 mins)...nothing. So, she races back inside, and runs in my room. I just repainted my room, so my curtains are on the floor...guess where she decided to leave me a gift? Yep, you got it...on my fuckin' curtains...a nice, hot steaming pile of shit.

I'm glad I got a new pup today, so she can at least be kept some type of company. I'm still working on her restroom timing (which is going well), but she knows when to press my buttons for attention, and it's USUALLY when I'm doing something that I like doing around here (watching tv, home projects, etc). Never when I'm washing dishes or any other ass-chapping chore around here, will she give me a run for my money. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 13 2013, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,480

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a dog lover myself and I know how it is to lose a member of the family..... At least the breeder was kind enough to bless you with another. Me and my girl are looking in to adding a Yorkie to the household because we like dogs and my baby has responded very well to them. As far as the Jack Russell get ready my dude. Not only are they energetic, they are smart as hell! They are small but they will do their damnedest to dictate. Put your foot Down early cuz Wishbone ain't no sucka lol.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 14 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ May 13 2013, 08:41 AM) *
Man I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a dog lover myself and I know how it is to lose a member of the family..... At least the breeder was kind enough to bless you with another. Me and my girl are looking in to adding a Yorkie to the household because we like dogs and my baby has responded very well to them. As far as the Jack Russell get ready my dude. Not only are they energetic, they are smart as hell! They are small but they will do their damnedest to dictate. Put your foot Down early cuz Wishbone ain't no sucka lol.

I just realized that this little ball of energy is gonna look like Wishbone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hope she gets a bit taller though. TY, if I knew better, I would've passed on the Jack Russell, but the fact that I like challenges, probably wouldn't have changed the outcome anyway. Lol

She's a mess though, I cant say that there's ever a dull moment in my house. I got my brother to take the Bulldog to the vet to get tested for parvo. How about these mofos dont TEST for parvo, but they do treat it. WTH?

I just wanted to get an early jump on it, JUST in case any materializes. THEN I told my brother to ask the vet for some Biomox (parvo antibiotics), which I talked to the lady over the phone and told her that I wanted to buy it (it was only $20). They told my brother that it was unnecessary, but he did get the booster shot and rabies vaccine, in which he will need two more rounds of, over the next six weeks.

I was like, "damn, these motherfuckers are acting like I'm trying to buy some Promethazine or some shit". Anyhow, the new bulldog is a trip man. Dude just minds his own business and demands for you to play with him, without being all jumpy and energetic.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

sorry to hear about the pup. best thing u can do for them is get their shots early and often. also...don't forget to spay/neuter them if u don't plan on breeding. i have a pit. she's the best. looks mean...but is the friendliest little dog u ever met. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) she's smart too. taught her a bunch of cool tricks.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 22 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/IMG_20130518_122135_zps0052802c.jpg)
This is BeBe (you have to say her name fast, lol), my Jack Russell Terrier...bad as ever! This was her at the vet this past weekend...8 lbs 12 weeks old.

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/IMG_20130514_084211_zps4c7b5b1d.jpg)
This is Brutus, my English Bulldog. I believe that he's mixed with a Lab, but the vet wasn't sure yet. He's a little over 5 lbs and almost 9 or 10 weeks old. Little dude never sits still, that's why I had to get a shot of him in the cage. Lol

+Quote Post
csrighthook
post Jun 15 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Amateur

Member No.: 5,255

Sorry to hear about your pup, I'm a dog lover too.

I have a male pit I got from a no-kill shelter I donate to, he was about to be fodder & fed to a pit some dog fighters thought had more potential & they wanted to use my guy to build some confidence for him by killing my dog before they got raided, f'n sociopaths. My boy is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet, not the brightest I've had but he's up there, & every morning at 6am he's waking me up for our run whether I like it or not. I had a Golden that passed a few years ago that I got from my brother who had epilepsy when he couldn't handle the stress of having other male dogs around, I thought he suited me as well as a dog possibly could & didn't think another dog could measure up, but I've found dogs adapt pretty damn well to us. I don't think I can envision a life without a dog anymore, to be honest

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 18 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (csrighthook @ Jun 15 2013, 07:09 PM) *
Sorry to hear about your pup, I'm a dog lover too.

I have a male pit I got from a no-kill shelter I donate to, he was about to be fodder & fed to a pit some dog fighters thought had more potential & they wanted to use my guy to build some confidence for him by killing my dog before they got raided, f'n sociopaths. My boy is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet, not the brightest I've had but he's up there, & every morning at 6am he's waking me up for our run whether I like it or not. I had a Golden that passed a few years ago that I got from my brother who had epilepsy when he couldn't handle the stress of having other male dogs around, I thought he suited me as well as a dog possibly could & didn't think another dog could measure up, but I've found dogs adapt pretty damn well to us. I don't think I can envision a life without a dog anymore, to be honest

i just had this thought the other day with my baby girl who is 3. she's such a great companion and just a great dog. i'm hoping she lives a long life and i plan to enjoy every moment possible with her.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 20 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Bumped

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 04:26 AM