IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Golden Boy vs Top Rank, See the pattern???
Cshel86
post May 19 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As I mentioned earlier, I'm almost sure that the "give the fans exciting fights" train will stop soon.

Anybody notice how Arum is strategically "giving us the fights that we want", while Golden Boy appears to be wearing their fighters down in order to give us what we want? This has been going on for a while now...

I'm not complaining, but does anybody else see this pattern?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 19 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 19 2013, 02:18 PM) *
As I mentioned earlier, I'm almost sure that the "give the fans exciting fights" train will stop soon.

Anybody notice how Arum is strategically "giving us the fights that we want", while Golden Boy appears to be wearing their fighters down in order to give us what we want? This has been going on for a while now...

I'm not complaining, but does anybody else see this pattern?

You took the words right out of my mouth, C'. I was wondering about the same thing few days ago. Personally, I fkn hate this pathetic childish beef of theirs...It's a damn shame that even the untrained eye of the boxing casual fan sees the money talk and bullshit spread....

+Quote Post
Marcus
post May 19 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

I was thinking about this situation.

The only way i see GBP and TR trying to come to terms is if there is an undisputed champion from one promo company that fighters from the other promo company need in order to project their careers. But that probably would never be the case because with all these damn belts they're nearly evenly distributed within both GBP and TR.

Adrien Broner(WBC) could've been that had he beat Abril(WBA) and Burns(WBO) if Burns beat beat Vazquez(IBF). However it wouldn't matter anyway because TR has no marketable 135 fighters anyway and everything fell through with burns/vazquez. But as for 140/147

140 147
Danny Garcia WBA/WBC Mayweather WBC
Peterson(Really Matthysse) IBF Alexander IBF
Malinaggi WBA

BUT Alvarado(TR) has the WBO. BUt Bradley(TR) has the WBO.

If there was a way for all these belts to belong to the fighters of only ONE promotional company it would FORCE a negotiation because every fighter ultimately aims to become a world champion if they haven't done so already. But with these fucking "regular, diamond, interim, and super" champion belts these promoters would probably find a way to milk those belts to their fighters before coming to the negotiating table.

This post has been edited by Marcus: May 19 2013, 05:18 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 19 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Has anyone noticed the pattern of Golden Boy having these triple and quadruple headers on Showtime? To me, it appears that they're doing their best to pull in subscribers by putting their good eggs in one basket, and hoping for the best...is this too big of a risk?

On the other hand, Arum has been giving us "fan-friendly" fights, and I've enjoyed them. I said "fan friendly" because he's been smart about giving us the "best fights". See, Alvarado/Rios was barn-burner, but truthfully, how far Alvarado really go? I doubt if Arum can make him a star, when Rios is the complete opposite.

Alvarado/Rios was just competitive enough for Rios to look vulnerable, but also give casual fans a good show. Bradley/Provodniknov...who'da thunk? To the unqualified observer, Provodvikov was just another guy placed in front of Bradley to make him look good...but oh boy were they wrong. I already knew what to expect.

Pac/JMM 4...we all knew that we were gonna see a competitive fight there, but no one saw that KO coming. Here's where it gets interesting...Donaire/Rigondeaux and Chavez/Martinez. Hmmm...

It appears("appears" being the operative word here) that when Arum gives us THESE types of fights, he's usually doing it to keep his "so I think I'm a star" fighters honest. Let's be real here, Donaire tried to jump ship waaay back in 2011, but he ended up staying. How many hard fights has he has since then? He's has some "bumps & bruises" fights since then, but the Rigondeaux fight was one that he knew would have the most trouble with. Now Donaire has been kept honest.
Chavez ALSO tried to "step up to get beat down" when he got in a funk with Arum last summer about his contract, but lo and behold, he got the Andy Lee fight, THEN Bob served him up with the Martinez fight. Of course Arum bought him a big crib, but he also allowed that ass-whoopin' to happen.

Anybody notice a trend here? GBP is "giving us what he want while wearing their fighters down, while Arum simply shuffles his cards a bit and gets his fighters in check from time to time...while giving us what we want.

+Quote Post
NoCatchweights
post May 19 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,908

Golden Boys bench is insanely deeper, they are struggling to give their fighters dates, a guy like Matthysse could fight 5 times a year. Golden Boy has the bench to to give us endless good fights. Rios isn't fighting Pacquiao because they have no one else. The last big Top Rank show was April 13th, they had a darchinyan card on Spanish TV but correct me if im wrong their next big show isn't till June 15th. So Top Rank isn't having a HBO card for months. Golden Boy can afford for mares to lose but for Mikey to lose it would hurt Top Rank, so Golden Boy can keep this pace Arum is already slowed down.

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post May 20 2013, 12:50 AM
Post #6

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

tbh I'm liking HBO/Top Rank fights more so than these Goldenboy/showtime scraps. Only interesting one from Golden boy was Canelo/Trout and Peterson/Matthyse. GB might offer more fights this year but TR have quality fights.

Remaining of the year, they'll probably have Garcia/Matthyse, Khan/Alexander, Canelo/Cotto, Broner/Mosley, Guerero/Ortiz and Mayweather against anyone. But seriously, with the exception of Garcia/Matthyse what other fights does GB/Showtime that will really entertain us?

TopRank and HBO have Garcia/Lopez, Caesar Chavez jr/??, Ward/??, Donaire/??, Pacquiao/Rios, Marquez/Bradley, Alvarado/Provodnikov?

Though not amazing in numbers of fights they could offer, these are top notch fights that has potential for foty 2013. I for one cannot wait for Marquez/Bradley and Pac/Rios.
Quality over Quantity imo.

P.S. Who will Mayweather fight in September?? I see a possible Martinez bout at 154?? He's not tied to Top Rank and I'm sure he isn't tied to HBO as well.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post May 20 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ May 20 2013, 12:50 AM) *
tbh I'm liking HBO/Top Rank fights more so than these Goldenboy/showtime scraps. Only interesting one from Golden boy was Canelo/Trout and Peterson/Matthyse. GB might offer more fights this year but TR have quality fights.

Remaining of the year, they'll probably have Garcia/Matthyse, Khan/Alexander, Canelo/Cotto, Broner/Mosley, Guerero/Ortiz and Mayweather against anyone. But seriously, with the exception of Garcia/Matthyse what other fights does GB/Showtime that will really entertain us?

TopRank and HBO have Garcia/Lopez, Caesar Chavez jr/??, Ward/??, Donaire/??, Pacquiao/Rios, Marquez/Bradley, Alvarado/Provodnikov?

Though not amazing in numbers of fights they could offer, these are top notch fights that has potential for foty 2013. I for one cannot wait for Marquez/Bradley and Pac/Rios.

P.S. Who will Mayweather fight in September?? I see a possible Martinez bout at 154?? He's not tied to Top Rank and I'm sure he isn't tied to HBO as well.

Martinez has already been ruled out for the remainder of the year, but would be an Event September 2014 for the Middleweight World Championship. Makes no sense historically for Mayweather to fight him at 154 however.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post May 20 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #8

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ May 20 2013, 01:50 AM) *

Martinez has a contract with HBO. I believe he has two fights left with them. Most likely they'll be Chavez/Golovkin then he'll call it quits. And at this point I don't think Martinez has it in him to beat any of those guys so Mayweather-Martinez is out of the question. Martinez isn't hungry like he used to be and Father Time is catching up...recipe for disaster.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 20 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 19 2013, 05:34 PM) *
Has anyone noticed the pattern of Golden Boy having these triple and quadruple headers on Showtime? To me, it appears that they're doing their best to pull in subscribers by putting their good eggs in one basket, and hoping for the best...is this too big of a risk?

On the other hand, Arum has been giving us "fan-friendly" fights, and I've enjoyed them. I said "fan friendly" because he's been smart about giving us the "best fights". See, Alvarado/Rios was barn-burner, but truthfully, how far Alvarado really go? I doubt if Arum can make him a star, when Rios is the complete opposite.

Alvarado/Rios was just competitive enough for Rios to look vulnerable, but also give casual fans a good show. Bradley/Provodniknov...who'da thunk? To the unqualified observer, Provodvikov was just another guy placed in front of Bradley to make him look good...but oh boy were they wrong. I already knew what to expect.

Pac/JMM 4...we all knew that we were gonna see a competitive fight there, but no one saw that KO coming. Here's where it gets interesting...Donaire/Rigondeaux and Chavez/Martinez. Hmmm...

It appears("appears" being the operative word here) that when Arum gives us THESE types of fights, he's usually doing it to keep his "so I think I'm a star" fighters honest. Let's be real here, Donaire tried to jump ship waaay back in 2011, but he ended up staying. How many hard fights has he has since then? He's has some "bumps & bruises" fights since then, but the Rigondeaux fight was one that he knew would have the most trouble with. Now Donaire has been kept honest.
Chavez ALSO tried to "step up to get beat down" when he got in a funk with Arum last summer about his contract, but lo and behold, he got the Andy Lee fight, THEN Bob served him up with the Martinez fight. Of course Arum bought him a big crib, but he also allowed that ass-whoopin' to happen.

Anybody notice a trend here? GBP is "giving us what he want while wearing their fighters down, while Arum simply shuffles his cards a bit and gets his fighters in check from time to time...while giving us what we want.

Arum's fighters mostly are out the door with the Exception of Donaire, Rigondeaux, Bradley and Chavez Jr. Martinez is getting old and showed it, Rios will not last long because the punishment he takes. Mile High Mike has 0 star power and Arum hate Bradley and has done nothing for Rigondeaux's career. Chavez Jr. is nothing more than a good " your dad should of pulled out" joke. Chavez Jr. is a star but his boxing skills and work ethic suck and that will equal more Ls on his career. Bradley can not get the respect of the public and Pacquiao is still chasing his rabbit.

GBP has a young deep stable of fighters and to be honest they are doing a fine job at entertaining. HBO is like the Lakers, lots of stars but old as hell, and Showtime and GBP are like Miami Heat (sorry Chi and Cshels) they have a mega star, stars, and up and comers. So they can shuffle that deck any how the please. It works.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 21 2013, 02:30 AM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 20 2013, 11:17 AM) *
Arum's fighters mostly are out the door with the Exception of Donaire, Rigondeaux, Bradley and Chavez Jr. Martinez is getting old and showed it, Rios will not last long because the punishment he takes. Mile High Mike has 0 star power and Arum hate Bradley and has done nothing for Rigondeaux's career. Chavez Jr. is nothing more than a good " your dad should of pulled out" joke. Chavez Jr. is a star but his boxing skills and work ethic suck and that will equal more Ls on his career. Bradley can not get the respect of the public and Pacquiao is still chasing his rabbit.

GBP has a young deep stable of fighters and to be honest they are doing a fine job at entertaining. HBO is like the Lakers, lots of stars but old as hell, and Showtime and GBP are like Miami Heat (sorry Chi and Cshels) they have a mega star, stars, and up and comers. So they can shuffle that deck any how the please. It works.

I was with you until you said this bullshit. Da fuck is wrong with you lol..Aint nobody over at GB even comparable to a Heat analogy. HBO has put on some good fights this year, IDK who has had the better bouts, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the year for that one but both TR and GB seem to have a renewed focus on making intriguing bouts

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 03:53 AM