Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who are the best Trainers in the Game?, Besides Da Professor
The Original MrF...
post May 27 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #41

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

I think this is a hard question to answer because I think the trainer's ability is very dependant on the fighter's ability to take instructions and deliver. I think sometimes you can have a great fighter and the trainer can be a complete dud OR you can have a great trainer and the fighter is a complete dud. The mesh between the two is very impoprtant.

Examples are.

Jermaine Taylor(dud) Emanuel Stewart(great Trainer). Stewart gave greatr instructions, buty Taylor didnt follow the plan time and time again.

The opposite would be
Tyson(great Fighter) and Whover the trainer for the Buster Douglas fight was.

Then theres that great mesh. I love the Mesh that Mayweather has with Roger and Floyd Sr.They all seem to be on the same page with their fighters ability and what they plan to do out there.

I also think that Kevin Cunningham has a great mesh with Devon Alexander. Kevin's a fairly new name to the big leagues as was Devon. They both learned coming up and seem to have gotten better.

So I dont know who the best trainer is. I just there are some guys that get more out of their fighter than others could.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 27 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #42

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 27 2013, 06:27 PM) *
I think this is a hard question to answer because I think the trainer's ability is very dependant on the fighter's ability to take instructions and deliver. I think sometimes you can have a great fighter and the trainer can be a complete dud OR you can have a great trainer and the fighter is a complete dud. The mesh between the two is very impoprtant.

Examples are.

Jermaine Taylor(dud) Emanuel Stewart(great Trainer). Stewart gave greatr instructions, buty Taylor didnt follow the plan time and time again.

The opposite would be
Tyson(great Fighter) and Whover the trainer for the Buster Douglas fight was.

Then theres that great mesh. I love the Mesh that Mayweather has with Roger and Floyd Sr.They all seem to be on the same page with their fighters ability and what they plan to do out there.

I also think that Kevin Cunningham has a great mesh with Devon Alexander. Kevin's a fairly new name to the big leagues as was Devon. They both learned coming up and seem to have gotten better.

So I dont know who the best trainer is. I just there are some guys that get more out of their fighter than others could.

kevin cunningham is not new to the game. he trained corey spinks from the beginning as well.

i'll add dan birmingham and don house. birmingham had winky, lacy and now thurman. that doesn't happen by accident.

don house has been in the game for a while...he's a hired gun.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 27 2013, 11:50 PM
Post #43

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 27 2013, 10:43 PM) *
kevin cunningham is not new to the game. he trained corey spinks from the beginning as well.

i'll add dan birmingham and don house. birmingham had winky, lacy and now thurman. that doesn't happen by accident.

don house has been in the game for a while...he's a hired gun.

Wow, didnt realize that was Cunningham. I like Birmingham with Winky as well. I think its about the perfect storm between trainer and fighter that makes the situation right. Its hard to say who the absolute best is because of this.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 28 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #44

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Maybe he was mentioned somewhere in this thread I haven't read entirely through it yet and I know he is deceased but Bowie Fisher was absolutely one of the best; the man knew exactly what to tell his fighter to do and he never said too much.

Very highly underrated IMHO.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 28 2013, 01:47 PM
Post #45

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 28 2013, 01:44 PM) *
Maybe he was mentioned somewhere in this thread I haven't read entirely through it yet and I know he is deceased but Bowie Fisher was absolutely one of the best; the man knew exactly what to tell his fighter to do and he never said too much.

Very highly underrated IMHO.

u can't mention nazim richardson without the thought of bouie fisher. very underrated.

i'll also throw another name out there... miller who used to train james toney.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 28 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #46

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 28 2013, 01:47 PM) *
u can't mention nazim richardson without the thought of bouie fisher. very underrated.

i'll also throw another name out there... miller who used to train james toney.

Yep, unfortunately for Miller it is Freddie Roach that gets all the credit for JT and that isn't right.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 28 2013, 01:51 PM
Post #47

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 28 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Yep, unfortunately for Miller it is Freddie Roach that gets all the credit for JT and that isn't right.

maybe to the casual fans...but not to those who really know.

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post May 28 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #48

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 27 2013, 11:50 PM) *
Wow, didnt realize that was Cunningham. I like Birmingham with Winky as well. I think its about the perfect storm between trainer and fighter that makes the situation right. Its hard to say who the absolute best is because of this.

And from local stories and observations, Cory Spinks did NOT follow directions well at all. In and out of the ring. He could have been really good. Tall, elusive lefty. Had a friend who is a bouncer at a pretty rowdy club here in St. Louis that was a regular hangout for Spinks and posse. Another who was exposed to his training camp after he left KC (or KC dumped him) and he spend no time on the heavy bag. Hence the lack of power.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 28 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #49

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 28 2013, 01:52 PM) *
And from local stories and observations, Cory Spinks did NOT follow directions well at all. In and out of the ring. He could have been really good. Tall, elusive lefty. Had a friend who is a bouncer at a pretty rowdy club here in St. Louis that was a regular hangout for Spinks and posse. Another who was exposed to his training camp after he left KC (or KC dumped him) and he spend no time on the heavy bag. Hence the lack of power.

i was down in st. louis in '02 at the black expo for a boxing show and KC had a gang of boxers...all southpaws. devon alexander was the main one. everyone and their mama was wearing t-shirts with his pic on it. i took some boxers down there to compete. we won 1 of 3 bouts. all the kids were slick as shit! cunningham is an excellent coach.

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post May 28 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #50

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 28 2013, 01:59 PM) *
i was down in st. louis in '02 at the black expo for a boxing show and KC had a gang of boxers...all southpaws. devon alexander was the main one. everyone and their mama was wearing t-shirts with his pic on it. i took some boxers down there to compete. we won 1 of 3 bouts. all the kids were slick as shit! cunningham is an excellent coach.

KC takes a lot of heat and even at times I have wondered if his guys would benefit from getting more seasoned training as they approach championship level, but he took a lot of those kids from less and nothing and further than no where. He has saved a lot of those kids and they love him for it and he loves them back. Sometimes that makes up for a lack of experience.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:10 AM