Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather vs Cotto 2?
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 01:09 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

the rematch made sense immediately after the first one...now...not so much. cotto has to get an impressive win or two under his belt before that happens.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 22 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I'd rather not see it, it was a tough fight but it still was an obvious win for Floyd

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 22 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 22 2013, 01:30 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/schaefer-90-cha...e-on-9-7--65804

Cshels, Schaefer says other wise! What a great month for boxing, heck sports in general. College football and the NFL will be starting! Yes sir!

Schaefer aint stupid bro. He says just the right things to the media and hopes that it passes as "honesty to the fans" when in reality, he's trying to make GBP as much money as possible. That's his job to say that Garcia/Matthysse has a 90% chance of happening.

If Mayweather told Oscar and Schaefer that he wanted to fight Danny tomorrow, mark my words, Matthysse will be put on the back burner and given a consolation fight. What if Floyd asked to fight Matthysse? Then what? If he did the numbers that he did against an unknown Guerrero, then everything's in the air from here.

What is Schaefer gonna say? "Oh no Floyd, we're trying to make this Garcia/Matthysse fight, which is gonna make us more money that you fighting either one of them". Riiiiight.

Let's look at the facts here, how long has Matthysse been longing for a title shot? Almost 3 years. And what has he gotten thus far? An interim title and fight with Lamont for an IBF title that wasn't even up for grabs when they signed the contracts. You really think that they're gonna let him get in the way of a possible Garcia/Mayweather clash, if talks ever take place?

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 22 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 12:52 PM) *
Schaefer aint stupid bro. He says just the right things to the media and hopes that it passes as "honesty to the fans" when in reality, he's trying to make GBP as much money as possible. That's his job to say that Garcia/Matthysse has a 90% chance of happening.

If Mayweather told Oscar and Schaefer that he wanted to fight Danny tomorrow, mark my words, Matthysse will be put on the back burner and given a consolation fight. What if Floyd asked to fight Matthysse? Then what? If he did the numbers that he did against an unknown Guerrero, then everything's in the air from here.

What is Schaefer gonna say? "Oh no Floyd, we're trying to make this Garcia/Matthysse fight, which is gonna make us more money that you fighting either one of them". Riiiiight.

Let's look at the facts here, how long has Matthysse been longing for a title shot? Almost 3 years. And what has he gotten thus far? An interim title and fight with Lamont for an IBF title that wasn't even up for grabs when they signed the contracts. You really think that they're gonna let him get in the way of a possible Garcia/Mayweather clash, if talks ever take place?

Bro you need to fire Ms. Cleo! Again why fight Mayweather when Garcia and Matthysse can fight each other the winner is a golden ticket for Mayweather next year. They hype of the winner of this match up is going to be sky high. Just cause the greens are smelling good does not mean you stop cooking them. You let them simmer for another hour so they are nice and tasty, soft and has a great flavor of ham hock (i like ox tail in mine) and enjoy. They have to let these two fighter simmer and once they fight each other then the hype for a May 5 2013 fight with May will be full blast.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post May 23 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #15

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 04:52 PM) *

Why are you so gong-ho about Mayweather fighting especially Garcia this year? It's all speculation on your part too, I know, but honestly you haven't adduced much reason as to why Garcia.

Further, in addition to the scene link evidence provided by Dolimite, it's been widely reported, and still being reported, that even Arum himself believes that Mayweather is more likely to fight on September 14 as has been reserved FOR him by GBP. So much so that Arum has made contingency plans to move Marquez-Bradley to another date no matter who Floyd fights on that date.
I know you never believed from Adam that Mayweather would fight twice this year; hell, you didn't believe he would fight this past May, because you were here giving guys hell for holding on to that day for Floyd! IIRC, you were adding the rider that Floyd could/would (?) instead probably skip the May date, and wait to fight a successful Brook this July or so. Just give this guy a break...he has said, Mayweather did, that he wants to stay active during the planned remainder of his active fighting life, and he's started following that script, so I have high hopes he'll fight on September 14.

Now, peeps, as for Mayweather's possible opponent in September. I don't know why, but posters appear to be sleeping on the fact that Mayweather just weeks ago assured the WBA - in writing - that he would defend his "Super" JMW title come September. Although some may say Mayweather holds a lot of aces currently and can afford to get away with boxing promotion murder, that promise to the WBA is one of the reasons for me to believe he may fight Canelo or A. N. Other JMW come September.

We'll see, but I sincerely think that Mayweather has been acting more gentlemanly in recent months. It may be due to his incarceration experience, or him having his legacy more in mind, or an image polish occasioned by the Showtime deal, or any combination of factors, but I do see a change in Mayweather's mien, and it is positive for him, and the sport.

P34c3

+Quote Post
duwdu
post May 23 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #16

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 22 2013, 05:56 PM) *
Bro you need to fire Ms. Cleo! Again why fight Mayweather when Garcia and Matthysse can fight each other the winner is a golden ticket for Mayweather next year. They hype of the winner of this match up is going to be sky high. Just cause the greens are smelling good does not mean you stop cooking them. You let them simmer for another hour so they are nice and tasty, soft and has a great flavor of ham hock (i like ox tail in mine) and enjoy. They have to let these two fighter simmer and once they fight each other then the hype for a May 5 2013 fight with May will be full blast.

Good points.

P34c3

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 23 2013, 10:09 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Sorry C but this scenario actually makes more sense to me because of mayweathers history. Remember ortiz was on the verge of being completely irrelevant when the berto fight was made and one fight later because of the show they put on he was getting the biggest pay day of his career. If matth and Garcia put on a show and at the same time take a lot out of each other I could see mayweather coming in and wanting to pick up the pieces how he did with ortiz. I mean, the Garcia Matthysse fight could arguably put the winner in the top 10 p4p rankings, higher than canelo because I probably wouldnt have him top 10 maybe even top 15, yea it would be at 140 but either guy could make 147 easy as a legit opponent after a win like that.

Dol, good post, your rambling is always funny as shit to me Haha

As for Alexander, the guy just co features for matthysse so I would say his chances of landing a Floyd fight are about as good as Lucas. Although Xander does hold a meaningless strap that gives him a slight edge

This post has been edited by checkleft: May 23 2013, 10:15 AM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 23 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 23 2013, 07:09 AM) *
Sorry C but this scenario actually makes more sense to me because of mayweathers history. Remember ortiz was on the verge of being completely irrelevant when the berto fight was made and one fight later because of the show they put on he was getting the biggest pay day of his career. If matth and Garcia put on a show and at the same time take a lot out of each other I could see mayweather coming in and wanting to pick up the pieces how he did with ortiz. I mean, the Garcia Matthysse fight could arguably put the winner in the top 10 p4p rankings, higher than canelo because I probably wouldnt have him top 10 maybe even top 15, yea it would be at 140 but either guy could make 147 easy as a legit opponent after a win like that.

Dol, good post, your rambling is always funny as shit to me Haha

As for Alexander, the guy just co features for matthysse so I would say his chances of landing a Floyd fight are about as good as Lucas. Although Xander does hold a meaningless strap that gives him a slight edge

I am glad I amuse you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)
Concerning Devon, how can he get his star rating up. He is boring as shit to me. Great fighter just real boring is all.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post May 23 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #19

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

QUOTE (duwdu @ May 23 2013, 10:55 AM) *
Why are you so gong-ho about Mayweather fighting especially Garcia this year? It's all speculation on your part too, I know, but honestly you haven't adduced much reason as to why Garcia.

Further, in addition to the scene link evidence provided by Dolimite, it's been widely reported, and still being reported, that even Arum himself believes that Mayweather is more likely to fight on September 14 as has been reserved FOR him by GBP. So much so that Arum has made contingency plans to move Marquez-Bradley to another date no matter who Floyd fights on that date.
I know you never believed from Adam that Mayweather would fight twice this year; hell, you didn't believe he would fight this past May, because you were here giving guys hell for holding on to that day for Floyd! IIRC, you were adding the rider that Floyd could/would (?) instead probably skip the May date, and wait to fight a successful Brook this July or so. Just give this guy a break...he has said, Mayweather did, that he wants to stay active during the planned remainder of his active fighting life, and he's started following that script, so I have high hopes he'll fight on September 14.

Now, peeps, as for Mayweather's possible opponent in September. I don't know why, but posters appear to be sleeping on the fact that Mayweather just weeks ago assured the WBA - in writing - that he would defend his "Super" JMW title come September. Although some may say Mayweather holds a lot of aces currently and can afford to get away with boxing promotion murder, that promise to the WBA is one of the reasons for me to believe he may fight Canelo or A. N. Other JMW come September.

We'll see, but I sincerely think that Mayweather has been acting more gentlemanly in recent months. It may be due to his incarceration experience, or him having his legacy more in mind, or an image polish occasioned by the Showtime deal, or any combination of factors, but I do see a change in Mayweather's mien, and it is positive for him, and the sport.

P34c3

So Canelo, Sergio or Cotto?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 23 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Why fight each other and one guy get ruined because of it (i.e. Garcia)? Remember, both of these guys have the same manager and promoter. It would make more sense to have one of them fight Floyd, then they meet again in the near future.

Why throw it all away because of what the fans want to see? Let's look at how much work they've put into Danny...why risk all of that so soon against Matthysse, a guy who can't make them as much money as Danny? I'm not saying that Danny is this huge ticket seller, but between him and Matthysse, he's the bigger draw.

Think about it, if Danny or Lucas fights Floyd, then that will be bigger exposure for both guys. They can ALWAYS go back and fight each other. Danny is hardly making 140 nowadays, so they can still meet at 147. It's not like the Canelo/Chavez Jr situation, where there's a two-division difference between them, but one guy is hanging around in a weight class where he truly doesn't belong.

QUOTE (duwdu @ May 23 2013, 10:55 AM) *

P34c3

I know that my predictions of the whole Brook/Alexander winner facing Floyd was a strong one, but that just goes to show that anything can happen in the sport. Of course that never happened because of an injury. We cant always hang onto what Floyd says, because he has either lied in the past, or thing didn't work out the way he imagined...it happens.

As for that WBA agreement...who needs who more...the WBA or Floyd? Let's not forget that these sanctioning bodies need the fighters. If things dont happen to go as planned, then what?

Oh yeah Dolimite, I like turkey legs with my greens and cabbage...those ham hocks are too damn salty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:00 AM