Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peterson or Khan?
BoxingEinstein
post May 22 2013, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Who has the better KO win between Matthysse's stoppage of Lamont in the 3rd? Or The Swift One's stoppage of Khan in the 4th?

I'll start with and say both are ties but Garcias win edges it since he was not the favorite or even close on the betting odds. Khan was #1 at 140 at the time and Khans resume spoke volumes. Khan is/was the better more talented fighter but Garcia found a way to win (thanks in part to Khans chin, Angel getting Khan angry, and Danny's timing/counter left hooks). So what ya got?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 22 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #2

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 22 2013, 04:48 PM) *
Who has the better KO win between Matthysse's stoppage of Lamont in the 3rd? Or The Swift One's stoppage of Khan in the 4th?

I'll start with and say both are ties but Garcias win edges it since he was not the favorite or even close on the betting odds. Khan was #1 at 140 at the time and Khans resume spoke volumes. Khan is/was the better more talented fighter but Garcia found a way to win (thanks in part to Khans chin, Angel getting Khan angry, and Danny's timing/counter left hooks). So what ya got?

Danny's. When he hit Khan w/ the first hook, it looked like someone hit the "slow mo" option in production.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

what were the odds in matthysse/peterson?

in both instances....i knew danny and lucas would win for different reasons.

not to diminish danny's win...but i picked him by ko because i knew

-khan had done back to back camps (remember the peterson fight fell through because of positive testing)
-globe trotting with roach/pac in the philippines to the uk then back to the u.s.
-not having freddie there with him for a portion of the camp
-having a new s&c coach who didn't know shit about boxing

i also watched his sparring prior to the fight and he looked like pure shit and was trading waaaay too much. i knew it would lead to disaster against danny.

in the situation with lucas....

-i knew peterson couldn't/wouldn't box the whole 12 rounds (or at least for the first half of the fight to take some of the steam out of lucas
-i also knew peterson wouldn't have the punching power to get respect from lucas
-i knew he would sit in the pocket and block and trade...

all of that would lead to peterson getting ktfo'd.

if i had to say one was better than the other....i'd say matthysse's win was much more impressive because we've seen khan hurt or stopped before. peterson has never been dominated like this.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 22 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 10:26 PM) *
what were the odds in matthysse/peterson?

in both instances....i knew danny and lucas would win for different reasons.

not to diminish danny's win...but i picked him by ko because i knew

-khan had done back to back camps (remember the peterson fight fell through because of positive testing)
-globe trotting with roach/pac in the philippines to the uk then back to the u.s.
-not having freddie there with him for a portion of the camp
-having a new s&c coach who didn't know shit about boxing

i also watched his sparring prior to the fight and he looked like pure shit and was trading waaaay too much. i knew it would lead to disaster against danny.

in the situation with lucas....

-i knew peterson couldn't/wouldn't box the whole 12 rounds (or at least for the first half of the fight to take some of the steam out of lucas
-i also knew peterson wouldn't have the punching power to get respect from lucas
-i knew he would sit in the pocket and block and trade...

all of that would lead to peterson getting ktfo'd.

if i had to say one was better than the other....i'd say matthysse's win was much more impressive because we've seen khan hurt or stopped before. peterson has never been dominated like this.

this. Also I think Khans S&C coach was Hayes.

Also Khan got up and countered Garcia fairly effectively, while Peterson seemed to go down from every big punch.

This post has been edited by mgrover: May 22 2013, 06:40 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 06:39 PM) *

Also Khan got up and countered Garcia fairly effectively, while Peterson seemed to go down from every big punch.

i don't know who hayes is....but he clearly has no understanding of strength and conditioning for boxing. amir has been very top heavy for his last few fights.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 22 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 12:55 AM) *
i don't know who hayes is....but he clearly has no understanding of strength and conditioning for boxing. amir has been very top heavy for his last few fights.

I swear Khan wants to be KOing machine, that's why he's getting involved in these mini wars. He brawls like he has something to prove in that area.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 08:04 PM) *
I swear Khan wants to be KOing machine, that's why he's getting involved in these mini wars. He brawls like he has something to prove in that area.

when he boxes....it's beautiful. if he would add defense to what he does and stop trying to land 10 punch combinations...he could have a long successful career. problem is...he thinks he knows.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 22 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 01:21 AM) *
when he boxes....it's beautiful. if he would add defense to what he does and stop trying to land 10 punch combinations...he could have a long successful career. problem is...he thinks he knows.

probably, needs to stop relying on that speed of his. But I think he wants to prove he can hang in there with the best of em brawling wise. Very easy to get under his skin.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 22 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 07:52 PM) *
probably, needs to stop relying on that speed of his. But I think he wants to prove he can hang in there with the best of em brawling wise. Very easy to get under his skin.

dude really has nothing to prove. all he needs to do is win and stop reading his press coverage....and just stop talking period. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 22 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 07:39 PM) *

Not to mention Peterson has the better chin, which makes it more impressive. And khan was more responsive after getting dropped the last time, Peterson looked more done. Matth has some god Damn sledge hammers at the emd of his arms.

But the odds and the manner in which khan got ko d the first time was much more dramatic. Not to mention swift, who was landing hard shots, was getting lit up until that point. It just added to excitement

This post has been edited by checkleft: May 22 2013, 10:53 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 07:09 AM