Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you were a trainer?, Your Game plan to beat Matthysse
BoxingEinstein
post May 23 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

My uncle just saw the Peterson vs Matthysse fight. I know he's late but he hasn't had time to keep up with boxing till today. He picked Peterson to beat Lucas by 12 round decision and would favor Peterson against Garcia. After he saw the fight he couldn't believe what happened. My uncle is a boxing purist and likes guys outboxing each other instead of wars. To put it all in a nutshell to quote my uncle,"if was a trainer I wouldn't let my fighter fight his ass. Fuck that, you gotta clinch & hold that bad muthafucker."

So if you was a trainer for your fighter, what would be the game plan if your guy had to fight Matthysse?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 24 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

depends what skill set my fighter has. You can run all you like from him, but you need to find a way to make him respect your power and hesitate about coming in.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 24 2013, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

See the following matches:

Chavez Sr. versus Sweet Pea

James Tony vs. Roy Jones

Mayweather vs. Zab Judah

Out box them and out smart them. All those guys took away what made them dangerous and used it against them. Lucas isn't invincible but you have to be smart in order to get him out of his game plan.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post May 24 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 24 2013, 09:18 AM) *
See the following matches:

Chavez Sr. versus Sweet Pea

James Tony vs. Roy Jones

Mayweather vs. Zab Judah

Out box them and out smart them. All those guys took away what made them dangerous and used it against them. Lucas isn't invincible but you have to be smart in order to get him out of his game plan.

Said it perfect. outbox them and outsmart them. For a guy like a Matthysse, he may not be the best boxer but the guy is smarter than most brawlers that i've seen. Judah was outboxing him and beating him to the punch because of that speed then got figured out.. Circle that fuu, when he throws a wide shot counter that ish and clinch, pick him apart from the outside and repeat process.. Matthysse also took Peterson out of his gameplan with the rabbit punches, atleast that's what he said. That clash of Left hooks was epic, Matthysse just looked like a G after that.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 24 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #5

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Watch Hopkins vs Echols 2...

+Quote Post
pacco_diablo
post May 24 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 2,107

Watch most of Wlad's fights, Mayweather's too. The best game plan to beat ANY fighter, even Mayweather, is with the consistent use of a well timed, unexpected jab. You have to use it when it's least expected. Fights generally have a certain rhythm to them. You have to break that rhythm and flow. Wlad has mastered the technique. It's the best way to frustrate any fighter and it opens up every door.

Wlad and Mayweather are both conductors. They control the rhythm of the fight. They may not control the action or pressure or anything else but... he who controls the rhythm, ultimately controls the fight.

This post has been edited by pacco_diablo: May 24 2013, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 24 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

seriously...matthysse is very beatable. i know exactly what to do to beat him. peterson could have done it. danny can do it. if people would look at it from a trainer/fighter stand point instead of a fan standpoint...they'd see it.

few things to consider....

he loads up on his shots and can be very wide...

he's not really fast but has decent speed....

he can box...but is most effective moving forward....

he can be outboxed...and has trouble with good movement....

i would feint and jab him for the first few rounds focusing on defense and not allowing him to set. after i've made him miss and slow pace i would then pick spots to attack and force him backwards then go right back to boxing. when his punches aren't as sharp...i'd sit in the pocket to allow him to throw and i'd counter the shit out of him then create space which will force him to have to set up again. before he'd set up...i'd attack again. rinse and repeat.

when he's lunging and leaning with his wide ass shots i would look to set him up with uppercuts that would be cleaned up with wicked hooks and crosses. anytime u land a shot on him u have to put the fear of god in him by following it up with fierce accurate shots and go right back to defense to keep him from landing anything significant. if u can physically force him backwards...the fight is won. think shane/maragito. sometimes u have to step into the eye of the storm. zab and alexander both out boxed matthysse easily. had they been more aggressive in their counters and actually turned into or committed to their shots they may have done far more damage and tamed the beast. going to the body is a must to take some of the steam out of him.

everything i just stated is easier said than done. training to accomplish all of this objectives needs to be carefully and thoughtfully executed.

pm me for rates and availability.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: May 24 2013, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post May 24 2013, 06:04 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

It's funny everyone still underrates his boxing skills, crazy that his power really does eclipse everything he has. Box and pray is the motto and clinch as much as possible.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 24 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 24 2013, 07:04 PM) *
It's funny everyone still underrates his boxing skills, crazy that his power really does eclipse everything he has. Box and pray is the motto and clinch as much as possible.

i know his capabilities very well. i've seen them first hand in the gym. he's human.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post May 24 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Again, congrats to Matthysse, but in my opinion, Peterson's fatal mistake was he threw a relatively wide punch when Matthysse did. Prior to that Peterson had made him miss a few times. Can't disagree with any of the comments made here re. the jab, clinch etc.

One thing that I think Matthysse has is very good punch timing (he's still slowish though).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:51 AM