Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you were a trainer?, Your Game plan to beat Matthysse
mgrover
post May 24 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

the thing is it seems that he can hurt you with any punch and to the majority of the average boxers we have, can any of them really win? I can only see someone elite avoid that for 12 rounds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post May 24 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,594

In my opinion (as a trainer) I wouldn't have had Lamont fighting from the outside as he did. Mat's power is at the end of his punch and range isn't a good thing.

You have two options:

If you are going to box, you must have latteral movement. And ability to box on the move. The moment you set your feet mat's on the prowel..

Stay in his chest at all times. ( which Lamont is a master at). Fighting inside and making mat smother his own punches would have been nice to see.

Mixing it up would have led to an easy victory for Lamont. Goin ugly early was the key, then making him chase a bit by setting traps toward the end.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post May 24 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #13

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 24 2013, 09:34 PM) *
In my opinion (as a trainer) I wouldn't have had Lamont fighting from the outside as he did. Mat's power is at the end of his punch and range isn't a good thing.

You have two options:

If you are going to box, you must have latteral movement. And ability to box on the move. The moment you set your feet mat's on the prowel..

Stay in his chest at all times. ( which Lamont is a master at). Fighting inside and making mat smother his own punches would have been nice to see.

Mixing it up would have led to an easy victory for Lamont. Goin ugly early was the key, then making him chase a bit by setting traps toward the end.

Bingo! Probably the best answer I read and clear cut. The only answer is if that fighter can withstand that type of fight and sustain that amount of punishment when needed to get ugly. Matt also sets up traps, like when he feints a jab to the chest and steps outside his opponents dominant hand and either hook'em to the body or head. Excluding Floyd who do you think beats him at welter? Maybe Guerrero.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 25 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 24 2013, 07:04 PM) *
It's funny everyone still underrates his boxing skills, crazy that his power really does eclipse everything he has. Box and pray is the motto and clinch as much as possible.

+1
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 24 2013, 07:48 PM) *
the thing is it seems that he can hurt you with any punch and to the majority of the average boxers we have, can any of them really win? I can only see someone elite avoid that for 12 rounds.

I see it that way to
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 24 2013, 09:34 PM) *

You have two options:

Best post in this thread.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post May 25 2013, 01:13 AM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 24 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Bingo! Probably the best answer I read and clear cut. The only answer is if that fighter can withstand that type of fight and sustain that amount of punishment when needed to get ugly. Matt also sets up traps, like when he feints a jab to the chest and steps outside his opponents dominant hand and either hook'em to the body or head. Excluding Floyd who do you think beats him at welter? Maybe Guerrero.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see him in there with Bradley. I think he has the style and decent chin to beat him decisively.. perhaps better than Floyed fight

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 25 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 24 2013, 11:32 PM) *

Guerrero takes way too much leather. Maybe Bradley

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 25 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think people come in Matthyssee fights thinking, let me score on a bunch of quick punches, frustrate him and then escape for the rest of the round. I think I'd approach it the exact opposite way. Slow the fight down. Be disciplined. Peterson came out jittery, shooting his jab with very little authority. He sped the fight up for no reason. Matthysse kept his composure, threw a few punches that missed but he was able to see how Peterson got out of the way of punches (Teddy Atlas saw the same thing and mentioned it on Friday Night Fights). Peterson was so worried about shooting that jab and collecting points. He didn't even realize he was falling right into a trap. I think you have to show Matthysse multiple looks. Don't be robotic. When he shoots one of those range finding, data collecting punches...one time, block it with your guard. The next time duck under. The next time back out of range. Then tie him up a few times. Then circle out of the way. Boxing sometimes is like when you first learned probability in Math. Remember P if then Q and all that shit? Matthysse knew everytime he shot the straight to Peterson's belly, he moved straight back. Then, Peterson got caught on the ropes which means there's no where to back straight up to. So he had to go left or right. He shot the body with the right and then followed with the left. Peterson got caught in the middle and that lead to the first knock down. If Peterson hadn't been so predictable, he might not have been knocked down. Matthysse knew exsctly how he was going to dodge the first punch though. You can't be predictable.

This post has been edited by Franchize: May 25 2013, 11:51 AM

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 25 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

It depends on who my fighter is. If its Mayweather, just "box." If its Danny Garcia, who I think is a tough kid, match fire with fire and see who comes out in the end.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 25 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

1. Straight punches
2. Clinch
3. Turn him

Basically, a Carlos Molina-type of style shuts down Matthysse's offense.

Another thing to consider is dipping your head first, rather than him making you do it. When I say dip your head, I mean the way Mayweather has done in his recent bouts. Fake or throw a soft straight punch and dip quickly afterwards.

This way, Matthysse be forced to throw low and catch you while bent down. As long as he has the chance to land up top, he'll more than likely be successful.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 26 2013, 11:30 AM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 25 2013, 04:14 PM) *
It depends on who my fighter is. If its Mayweather, just "box." If its Danny Garcia, who I think is a tough kid, match fire with fire and see who comes out in the end.

That is exactly what I'm hoping for lol. This is gonna be a hella of a fight if it gets done

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 07:38 AM