Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is Manny Pacquiao A B Level Fighter?
Dolimite
post May 29 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

Before I even begin my thought on the topic let me make this disclaimer: I think Manny is a great bawler but not boxer I do not dislike Manny but I HATE his fans, especially the disillusioned ones.

Looking at overall boxing skills Manny Pacquiao has a lot left to be desired. He doesn't know how to turn his opponent, he has no idea how to roll a punch and his jab makes me want to scream. His foot work is so so and his ring IQ is average at best. He doesn't have a game plan when it comes to boxing against boxers but looks spectacular against brawlers. I actually because a fan of Manny's after his fight with Macro Antonio Barrera. I was amazed how heavy handed he was. Then after seeing him fight I realized that he was a pure slugger and saw his opponents and thought "wait a second, this guy has yet to fight a boxer." When he did finally fought a boxer I was amazed to see how much he lacks in boxing skills. His fights with Juan Manuel and Clottely proved to me that he can not handle or does not know how to box, this proved especially true with Bradley. Again Manny is a great slugger but boxer I would say he is a B level fighter. A complete fighter can do it all. Sergio Martinez, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins, Mikey Garcia, Mares, Mayweather, and the list goes on. I just do not see Manny as a boxer, I see him as pure homerun hitter.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: May 29 2013, 05:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
mgrover
post May 29 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 03:57 PM) *
Before I even begin my thought on the topic let me make this disclaimer: I think Manny is a great bawler but not boxer I do not dislike Manny but I HATE his fans, especially the disillusioned ones.

Looking at overall boxing skills Manny Pacquiao has a lot left to be desired. He doesn't know how to turn his opponent, he has no idea how to roll a punch and his jab makes me want to scream. His foot work is so so and his ring IQ is average at best. He doesn't have a game plan when it comes to boxing against boxers but looks spectacular against brawlers. I actually because a fan of Manny's after his fight with Macro Antonio Barrera. I was amazed how heavy handed he was. Then after seeing him fight I realized that he was a pure slugger and saw his opponents and thought "wait a second, this guy has yet to fight a boxer." When he did finally fought a boxer I was amazed to see how much he likes in boxing skills. His fights with Juan Manuel and Clottely proved to me that he can not handle or does not know how to box, this proved especially true with Bradley. Again Manny is a great slugger but boxer I would say he is a B level fighter. A complete fighter can do it all. Sergio Martinez, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins, Mikey Garcia, Mares, Mayweather, and the list goes on. I just do not see Manny as a boxer, I see him as pure homerun hitter.

he's a volume puncher. or was.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post May 29 2013, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

He is one of the greats of his era. This is like the guy crying about how Mayweather doesnt knock people out.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post May 29 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #4

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

This is the FIGHT game.

Just because a fighter doesn't fight a certain way or have the most polished technique, doesn't mean that they're not a great boxer.

There's a huge difference between someone lacking pure boxing skills and not being a great boxer.

Muhammad Ali and Jack Johnson committed one of the cardinal sins of defense throughout their careers by snapping their heads backward to avoid punches. Any purist would immediately scoff at such displays. However, they were good enough to get away with it.

For years, Pacquiao's hand speed and power has been so great that he's been able to get away with lunging and leaving his feet when going after the other guy. That sort of thing is bound to catch up with you in time.

It doesn't make him not great, as a boxer.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 29 2013, 01:18 PM
Post #5

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

No,

His dominance and moving up in weight is far too good to be a B-level fighter. All I could say would be that movers troubled him. I think people have to define a B-level fighter. That's someone who fights some good fighters, may be entertaining, but either can't handle the A-grade fighters, or goes into survival mode against A-grade fighters. I would say examples of this would be Hector Camacho Sr, Vinny Pazienzia and Arturo Gatti. All good fighters, but they struggled against the very best, the differential that separates the A and B grade for these fighters. Manny's better than Paz, Camacho or Gatti if you use this standard.

Jack

+Quote Post
mex4life
post May 29 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #6

Amateur

Member No.: 13,898

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 09:57 AM) *

Looking at overall boxing skills Manny Pacquiao has a lot left to be desired. He doesn't know how to turn his opponent, he has no idea how to roll a punch and his jab makes me want to scream. His foot work is so so and his ring IQ is average at best. He doesn't have a game plan when it comes to boxing against boxers but looks spectacular against brawlers. I actually because a fan of Manny's after his fight with Macro Antonio Barrera. I was amazed how heavy handed he was. Then after seeing him fight I realized that he was a pure slugger and saw his opponents and thought "wait a second, this guy has yet to fight a boxer." When he did finally fought a boxer I was amazed to see how much he likes in boxing skills. His fights with Juan Manuel and Clottely proved to me that he can not handle or does not know how to box, this proved especially true with Bradley. Again Manny is a great slugger but boxer I would say he is a B level fighter. A complete fighter can do it all. Sergio Martinez, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins, Mikey Garcia, Mares, Mayweather, and the list goes on. I just do not see Manny as a boxer, I see him as pure homerun hitter.

question...do you wipe mayweather's ass?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 29 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

pacquiao's accomplishment at 130 and below qualify him as one of the best of this era.

wins over barerra, morales and marquez are very high quality wins. he's a hall of famer.

+Quote Post
jtiizzle
post May 29 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,897

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 07:57 AM) *

This is some hater s*it. i'm no pac fan but real recognize real he is no bum or B-level fighter. He is a one of the top 4 welterweight even after being knocked out. i hate when people make it seem like he is just a brawler the dude is a freak athlete he was crushing guys and too be real had people shaking in there boots.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 29 2013, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (jtiizzle @ May 29 2013, 02:38 PM) *
This is some hater s*it. i'm no pac fan but real recognize real he is no bum or B-level fighter. He is a one of the top 4 welterweight even after being knocked out. i hate when people make it seem like he is just a brawler the dude is a freak athlete he was crushing guys and too be real had people shaking in there boots.

I'm not a hater and I think he was good for boxing when he was doing his thing, I just do not see him as being this great fighter. I know he is a hall of fame boxer and will be but an ATG hell no. The lower weights he was amazing but the weight advantages he had over his opponents and the questionable dive Clottely took leaves holes in his resume. Again I think he is a great brawler but boxer, no.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 29 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 11:08 PM) *
I'm not a hater and I think he was good for boxing when he was doing his thing, I just do not see him as being this great fighter. I know he is a hall of fame boxer and will be but an ATG hell no. The lower weights he was amazing but the weight advantages he had over his opponents and the questionable dive Clottely took leaves holes in his resume. Again I think he is a great brawler but boxer, no.

I don't get it, see if anybody bitches after losing there a sore loser, but if Pacs opponent does it, it was fixed? Yeah I watched the interview, seemed like he was sore, either way he either sold out or got outclassed.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:18 AM