> Is Manny Pacquiao A B Level Fighter?
BrutUalBK
post May 30 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #21

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (KOpower @ May 29 2013, 12:09 PM) *
He is one of the greats of his era. This is like the guy crying about how Mayweather doesnt knock people out.

I agree but this is in reference to his skill level, honestly I'd rate him as a B overall, a C+ in Defense and an B+in Offense which averages out to a B. He lacks in defense especially when on the attack/leaves himself wide open for shots and gets hit too much IMHO.

He doesn't set traps on offense, on defense he doesn't cage or roll with the punches when he's tagged.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 30 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 30 2013, 11:33 AM) *
I can agree with this. So do you think he will be looked at as an ATG or just a good fighter with great athleticism? How do you rate his career? I liked him at the lower weights myself as he moved up I slowly came off Pacquiao.

He's definitely an atg in the lower divisions, him mayweather and Mosley were basically unstoppable in the lighter divisions. He will always be a overrated because of his fan base and the great job TR did of creating his image, but he's a first ballot hofer all the way either way.

+Quote Post
pacco_diablo
post May 30 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #23

Featherweight

Member No.: 2,107

The most championship belts across the most divisions in the history of professional boxing... definitely an A level fighter. IMO, one of the greats of our era, almost up there with Floyd. Definitely looking forward to seeing his bash with Rios.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 30 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ May 30 2013, 03:32 PM) *
The most championship belts across the most divisions in the history of professional boxing... definitely an A level fighter. IMO, one of the greats of our era, almost up there with Floyd. Definitely looking forward to seeing his bash with Rios.

really doesn't mean much in todays watered down boxing. there are 4 belts per division and that's not counting the bullshit ones they made up. diamond belt? really?

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post May 30 2013, 04:10 PM
Post #25

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

I think Manny is/was a A- level fighter at 130 and below. He would have been A+ for me had he fought Morales' prime conquerer in Raheem instead of a washed up Morales. Nonetheless, he has hall of fame and legendary fighters on his resume. I would say he's a B+/A- fighter above 130. He's one of best volume punchers I ever seen and to his credit had a promoter who matched him up terribly after Cotto. Being KO'd by one of the greatest fighters in boxing history and the 2nd best Mexican fighter in history is no shame on him. Counter punchers and guys who can turn him are his achilles heel.

I guarantee you if he destroys Rios like I believe he will and maybe the first to stop a guy with a granite chin you'll hop on the bandwagon.
If only Manny was a smart businessman he would be a bigger star (possibly) and his resume at above 130 would be better. I always thought he should have stayed at 140 and cleaned the division out. The only guys at the time that could give him a hard time or lose to would be either Bradley or Koltenik.

Matter fact I'm going to make a thread on that.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 30 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 30 2013, 04:10 PM) *
I think Manny is/was a A- level fighter at 130 and below. He would have been A+ for me had he fought Morales' prime conquerer in Raheem instead of a washed up Morales. Nonetheless, he has hall of fame and legendary fighters on his resume. I would say he's a B+/A- fighter above 130. He's one of best volume punchers I ever seen and to his credit had a promoter who matched him up terribly after Cotto. Being KO'd by one of the greatest fighters in boxing history and the 2nd best Mexican fighter in history is no shame on him. Counter punchers and guys who can turn him are his achilles heel.

I guarantee you if he destroys Rios like I believe he will and maybe the first to stop a guy with a granite chin you'll hop on the bandwagon.
If only Manny was a smart businessman he would be a bigger star (possibly) and his resume at above 130 would be better. I always thought he should have stayed at 140 and cleaned the division out. The only guys at the time that could give him a hard time or lose to would be either Bradley or Koltenik.

Matter fact I'm going to make a thread on that.

arum did right by him by keeping him away from guzman, valero, raheem and guys like that. pac was outboxed by morales in the first fight and would have been out boxed by some of the more skilled boxers with good movement.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post May 30 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #27

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 30 2013, 12:33 PM) *
I can agree with this. So do you think he will be looked at as an ATG or just a good fighter with great athleticism? How do you rate his career? I liked him at the lower weights myself as he moved up I slowly came off Pacquiao.

He is going to go down as an all-time great. He was 6-2-1 against that legendary Mexican trio and literally retired MAB and Morales. He then moved up in weight and destroyed Oscar and Hatton. He dusted Cotto and dominated Margarito, Clottey, and Mosley. I agree with most people that say he won the Bradley fight and he was winning the JMM fight until the crushing right hand from JMM ended things.

Pac is one of the best of his era and one of the greatest I have ever seen. His accomplishments are absurd.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post May 30 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #28

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 30 2013, 02:42 PM) *
I agree but this is in reference to his skill level, honestly I'd rate him as a B overall, a C+ in Defense and an B+in Offense which averages out to a B. He lacks in defense especially when on the attack/leaves himself wide open for shots and gets hit too much IMHO.

He doesn't set traps on offense, on defense he doesn't cage or roll with the punches when he's tagged.

Who cares? Honestly..who gives a sh*t? He wins fights. You sound like Dan Rafael after Rigo gave Donaire a boxing lesson. Who cares how a guy wins if he wins. His hand speed is amazing, he had a legendary chin for a little man, and his power was as good as I have seen from a lightweight fighter. It's called winning fights and Manny did that against elite competition over and over.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post May 30 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #29

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 30 2013, 06:53 PM) *
arum did right by him by keeping him away from guzman, valero, raheem and guys like that. pac was outboxed by morales in the first fight and would have been out boxed by some of the more skilled boxers with good movement.

So guys like valero would have outboxed him? I can understand why Teaml Pac ducked Raheem or Guzman but Valero would have been a war as oong as it lasted with edge going to Edwin. Lose or win I give Pac a bit of an edge since at that weight and time he had power and constant punching.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 31 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #30

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 30 2013, 08:30 PM) *
So guys like valero would have outboxed him? I can understand why Teaml Pac ducked Raheem or Guzman but Valero would have been a war as oong as it lasted with edge going to Edwin. Lose or win I give Pac a bit of an edge since at that weight and time he had power and constant punching.

Me thinks Valero would've fed off his carcass. Guzman was all sorts of wrong for him and I get that. However, a Valero fight would have to be censored from the general public.....it would've been that crazy.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:20 AM