IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> When Did The WBC Stop Supporting Unification Fights?, Canelo Alvarez May Only Keep one WBA or WBC Super-Welterweight Belt
Jack 1000
post May 29 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

The boxing world is very angry with the WBC,

As Canelo Alvarez must decide after beating Austin Trout for the Unified WBC/WBA title that he must give up one belt. Apparently, the WBC only now supports unification fights if the winner gives up one belt!

I hope this policy dies quickly!!! What I don't understand is when did this change? For decades, unified champions have held belts of the WBA, WBC, and IBF. Donald Curry, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler, defended both belts and never had to choose between one or the other. What about Danny Garcia? Doesn't he have two belts as well? How come he is not being forced the same bullshit of having to drop a belt like Canelo?

The past policy, based on my forty years in this industry went like this:

You could not hold a championship in two different weight classes at the same time-I'm cool with that.
Once you fought your mandatory, you could pursue unification fights-seems fair.
I could see reason to reject a unification fight if the sanctioning fee was not paid, but this at least to my knowledge does not apply to this fight:

Representatives of the WBC/WBA attended the fight.
Suliaman claims that Alvarez-Trout was for a WBC defense only and the winner would decide on what belt to keep after 15 days

I have asked around the net as to clarification of the WBC's take in this situation in the meantime, I will propose:
  • No boxing commission worldwide accepts anyone other that Canelo Alverez as WBC/WBA Jr. Middleweight Champion.
  • Mr. Alvarez be allowed to carry both belts into the ring for future title defenses.
  • House announces reject the one belt madate of the WBC, ignore Jose Sulaiman and recognize Alvarez as unified champion till beaten in the ring.

Some suggest only the support of Ring Titles. I cannot do that because the ring has no authority to sanction and approve fights between its champions and contenders in the ring. Ring Champions can win titles and never defend them in the ring, that's a problem.

Golden Boy's promotion and partnership in the magazine suggests bias. Showing that Ring Ratings cannot be objective.

Boxing should almost have the Association of Boxing Commissions and unified rules just have their fighters fight for titles. They could use Ring Ratings that way.

I have contacted the WBC and will keep all informed on this as best I can.

Jack

PS. For awhile the WBC would not accept the WBO, so in the past, if you won a WBO belt, than you would have to choose, but they changed their policy. I looked at the online-rules last night quickly for the WBC. Early on, I don't see any rules about unification fights.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
xxxxxx
post Jun 2 2013, 04:39 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 29 2013, 02:55 PM) *
The boxing world is very angry with the WBC,

As Canelo Alvarez must decide after beating Austin Trout for the Unified WBC/WBA title that he must give up one belt. Apparently, the WBC only now supports unification fights if the winner gives up one belt!

I hope this policy dies quickly!!! What I don't understand is when did this change? For decades, unified champions have held belts of the WBA, WBC, and IBF. Donald Curry, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler, defended both belts and never had to choose between one or the other. What about Danny Garcia? Doesn't he have two belts as well? How come he is not being forced the same bullshit of having to drop a belt like Canelo?

The past policy, based on my forty years in this industry went like this:

You could not hold a championship in two different weight classes at the same time-I'm cool with that.
Once you fought your mandatory, you could pursue unification fights-seems fair.
I could see reason to reject a unification fight if the sanctioning fee was not paid, but this at least to my knowledge does not apply to this fight:

Representatives of the WBC/WBA attended the fight.
Suliaman claims that Alvarez-Trout was for a WBC defense only and the winner would decide on what belt to keep after 15 days

I have asked around the net as to clarification of the WBC's take in this situation in the meantime, I will propose:
  • [b]No boxing commission worldwide accepts anyone other that Canelo Alverez as WBC/WBA Jr. Middleweight Champion.
  • Mr. Alvarez be allowed to carry both belts into the ring for future title defenses.
  • House announces reject the one belt madate of the WBC, ignore Jose Sulaiman and recognize Alvarez as unified champion till beaten in the ring.

Some suggest only the support of Ring Titles. I cannot do that because the ring has no authority to sanction and approve fights between its champions and contenders in the ring. Ring Champions can win titles and never defend them in the ring, that's a problem.[/b]

Golden Boy's promotion and partnership in the magazine suggests bias. Showing that Ring Ratings cannot be objective.

Boxing should almost have the Association of Boxing Commissions and unified rules just have their fighters fight for titles. They could use Ring Ratings that way.

I have contacted the WBC and will keep all informed on this as best I can.

Jack

PS. For awhile the WBC would not accept the WBO, so in the past, if you won a WBO belt, than you would have to choose, but they changed their policy. I looked at the online-rules last night quickly for the WBC. Early on, I don't see any rules about unification fights.

I believe the RING should be used when looking at Rankings & if they have a Champion crowned in that weight class, he most likely is deserving or in the conversation. You don't have that as often with the 4 organizations.(WBC,WBA,IBF,WBO) The RING is not perfect and you could argue bias, but it is MUCH greater than any sanctioning body with their Rankings and Champions.

This post has been edited by xxxxxx: Jun 2 2013, 04:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:55 AM