IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How is it that Juan Manuel Marquez is still NOT a top draw?
Gambit808
post Jun 4 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 4 2013, 03:45 PM) *
I'd even go along to thinking Broner would do better PPV numbers had he have been fighting Bradley too, and he hasent even headlined yet.

No wait, I take that back lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 4 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 4 2013, 03:35 PM) *
But damn 200,000? I would expect by now from both guys to generate atleast 500,000-600,000 fighting each other after there last performances. I know Mexicans being the dominant fan base in boxing love this guy but sheesh!!! I just expected more views being calculated than that.

well you have to take some things into consideration. it's just not about how big of a draw he is...it also has to do with timing. had arum put the show on the sept 14th mexican independence holiday...there's no doubt the numbers would have been doubled or even tripled if canelo/mayweather didn't take place at the same time. now he's being forced to push the fight back to october. he's stuck in a bad place with that date because you have to figure people don't spend much leading into the holiday season. i think it's a modest projection....i wouldn't be surprised if they did much better than that. a lot will hinge on how well toprank and hbo promote this. let's be honest though....arum did not sign marquez or bradley to be stars. he signed them with the intention of building pacquiao...and hbo still seems butt hurt over that knockout and the bradley win...so i don't believe they're going to go all out and promote these guys the way they deserve to be promoted.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 4 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 4 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Not many yea but I can name a handful. I'd even go along to thinking Broner would do better PPV numbers had he have been fighting Bradley too, and he hasent even headlined yet.

i'm not convinced broner will be a ppv star just yet. he's had some alright wins...but nothing that suggests stardom.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 4 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2013, 03:53 PM) *
well you have to take some things into consideration. it's just not about how big of a draw he is...it also has to do with timing. had arum put the show on the sept 14th mexican independence holiday...there's no doubt the numbers would have been doubled or even tripled if canelo/mayweather didn't take place at the same time. now he's being forced to push the fight back to october. he's stuck in a bad place with that date because you have to figure people don't spend much leading into the holiday season. i think it's a modest projection....i wouldn't be surprised if they did much better than that. a lot will hinge on how well toprank and hbo promote this. let's be honest though....arum did not sign marquez or bradley to be stars. he signed them with the intention of building pacquiao...and hbo still seems butt hurt over that knockout and the bradley win...so i don't believe they're going to go all out and promote these guys the way they deserve to be promoted.

True, but Why not put JCC jr. On the same card, since both cards (although a month apart) were moved back. Instead of moving it back to October, move it up to 9/7 with Chavez Jr. so it would benefit for everyone involved? I think that would be the smarter move.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 4 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 4 2013, 04:06 PM) *
True, but Why not put JCC jr. On the same card, since both cards (although a month apart) were moved back. Instead of moving it back to October, move it up to 9/7 with Chavez Jr. so it would benefit for everyone involved? I think that would be the smarter move.

no, it wouldn't. if you did....you have 3 high priced fighters on one card and there's no guarantee on a return of investment. the winner of jmm/bradley is still going to take back seat at toprank. chavez could possibly get a good comeback fight...but arum stands to make more money by letting jr headline.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Jun 4 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2013, 03:17 PM) *
wait a second.....

marquez isn't a top draw!?!?!?

who draws more than marquez? not many.

Considering the Pac fights 1 & 2 collectively didn't bust 800,000 views, I would think there's a couple out there that may out-draw him. That being said, I'm interested to see how Bradley/JMM sells.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 4 2013, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 4 2013, 05:59 PM) *
Considering the Pac fights 1 & 2 collectively didn't bust 800,000 views, I would think there's a couple out there that may out-draw him. That being said, I'm interested to see how Bradley/JMM sells.

it's a very short list.

mayweather
pac
cotto

who else? if anything...may not be at the top....but he sure is close.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jun 4 2013, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jun 4 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2013, 04:59 PM) *
it's a very short list.

mayweather
pac
cotto

who else? if anything...may not be at the top....but he sure is close.

Dude obviously you never heard of Canelo Alvarez.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 4 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As a few of us have mentioned, we'll see how this Bradley fight will sell. Being that he was the guy who recently knocked Manny out and had the world up in arms, he should've gained some type of popularity because of it.

Whatever numbers are racked up from his next fight, will be a measuring stick for what he can truly sell, since Bradley cant sell shit.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 5 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #20

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2013, 02:55 PM) *
i'm not convinced broner will be a ppv star just yet. he's had some alright wins...but nothing that suggests stardom.

I think he will be, can't name to many who drum up more hype then him and even though he gets hit too much IMO he's entertaining. It's a business and that's the other side of the game. Ward will be the best fighter in the game soon but as far as drawing interest and matching it up with talent, Broner will be a bigger star then him..wins get you in the game, entertainement keeps you there

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Jun 5 2013, 12:31 AM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 07:02 PM