IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre Ward looking to sign with Top Rank, Good? Bad? smart?...
checkleft
post Jun 17 2013, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

So the rumors are true about ward wanting to get out of his contract with Dan. Now there is more rumors saying Wards first choice for a promoter would be top rank. Makes sense since hes an HBO fighter, prince has some ties to top rank, and ward also commentates on HBO. Also most of the MW, SMW, and LHW are on HBO.

And here of course is the elephant in the room, Chavez is under TR.

Is this a good move? Bad move? Smart? Did Andre get rattled by froch and floyds comments about him not being able to sell? Thoughts...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Jun 17 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

ward has said and now is doing things that In my view have much to do with his back and forth with Mayweather. Bottom line. Ward is in his prime and better make some moves now if he wants to get some real money to cash in on that Superstar talent. Hell, he may even have to come out of his gentleman Jim persona and act a little GHETTO AND IGNORANT LIKE FLOYD DID for a few years to get some attention lol (just a joke)

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Jun 17 2013, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jun 17 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 17 2013, 05:37 AM) *
So the rumors are true about ward wanting to get out of his contract with Dan. Now there is more rumors saying Wards first choice for a promoter would be top rank. Makes sense since hes an HBO fighter, prince has some ties to top rank, and ward also commentates on HBO. Also most of the MW, SMW, and LHW are on HBO.

And here of course is the elephant in the room, Chavez is under TR.

Is this a good move? Bad move? Smart? Did Andre get rattled by froch and floyds comments about him not being able to sell? Thoughts...

I told yawl!!!! Of course those comments got to Ward. He didn't start demanding top fights after those comments. He sees how certain guys sell Vegas and have big PPV numbers, that should be Ward. He is looking for that paper and fame. I don't care what he says, he wants, he is tired of waiting. He proved everything in the sport now he wants the paper.

I don't think what Floyd did was ignorant or ghetto, I think what he did was a marketing strategic genius move. America loves to hate the confident cocky black athlete. They will pay big money to see them lose... Just look at the history of sports.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 17 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Leaving Goosen at this point, is a good idea. Possibly moving to TR...ahhh, I'm not so sure. If he signs a 2-year deal with Bob, then he better get ready for the underhanded mess that takes place with most TR at the 11th hour of their contract ending...getting coerced into taking a contract extension. It's happened to Donaire, Chavez, and a few others as of late.

Honestly, TR may not be able to do anything with Ward, let alone any other promoters. It's obvious nowadays, that a black fighter has to market himself and reach out to his fan base in a manner in which most promoters deem "informal".

Free agency is a good thing for Ward, but ONLY if he's able to land the Chavez fight and make a HUGE impact. Granted, he may have to take the smaller split of the money, but he'll be lucky to land that fight against a TR fight, while under free agency.

Mayweather's words has little to do with this. Ward has a family and he realizes that he cant box forever, so its best to make as much money per fight, as possible. Im not saying that Floyd has NOTHING to do with it, because Im sure that his numbers and paydays have motivated more than a few fighters...hence how guys wanna stay undefeated and try to land big fights, so they avoid the dangerous B-level fighters in their division.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Jun 17 2013, 01:07 PM
Post #5

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 17 2013, 12:21 PM) *
Leaving Goosen at this point, is a good idea. Possibly moving to TR...ahhh, I'm not so sure. If he signs a 2-year deal with Bob, then he better get ready for the underhanded mess that takes place with most TR at the 11th hour of their contract ending...getting coerced into taking a contract extension. It's happened to Donaire, Chavez, and a few others as of late.

Honestly, TR may not be able to do anything with Ward, let alone any other promoters. It's obvious nowadays, that a black fighter has to market himself and reach out to his fan base in a manner in which most promoters deem "informal".

Free agency is a good thing for Ward, but ONLY if he's able to land the Chavez fight and make a HUGE impact. Granted, he may have to take the smaller split of the money, but he'll be lucky to land that fight against a TR fight, while under free agency.

Mayweather's words has little to do with this. Ward has a family and he realizes that he cant box forever, so its best to make as much money per fight, as possible. Im not saying that Floyd has NOTHING to do with it, because Im sure that his numbers and paydays have motivated more than a few fighters...hence how guys wanna stay undefeated and try to land big fights, so they avoid the dangerous B-level fighters in their division.

Can't land that Chavez fight w/o being in bed w/ the Bobfather. Think about it: why would the Bobfather let Ward walk in, fleece his flock and bounce? You're right, Floyd does, IMO, have a small, but significant part in this. Look at the deal he has acquired, Ward wants that for him and his and unfortunately, it doesn't look like Teflon Dan can acquire this for him.

This post has been edited by bnoles4life: Jun 17 2013, 01:10 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 17 2013, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

ward has that squeaky clean image and smile that arum likes in his black fighters. the gold medal is a plus as well. arum typically doesn't promote black fighters well...but when he has a guy like ward to work with, i think it becomes an easier job for him. this may be a good match for them both.

+Quote Post
Juice
post Jun 17 2013, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Amateur

Member No.: 13,298

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 17 2013, 11:07 AM) *
Can't land that Chavez fight w/o being in bed w/ the Bobfather. Think about it: why would the Bobfather let Ward walk in, fleece his flock and bounce? You're right, Floyd does, IMO, have a small, but significant part in this. Look at the deal he has acquired, Ward wants that for him and his and unfortunately, it doesn't look like Teflon Dan can acquire this for him.

Al Haymon is a good choice too. Bob Arum is not the promoter for black fighters. Haymon is though. Arum is a snake...everybody knows that.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jun 17 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #8

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Juice @ Jun 17 2013, 04:21 PM) *
Al Haymon is a good choice too. Bob Arum is not the promoter for black fighters. Haymon is though. Arum is a snake...everybody knows that.

Haymon and Arum would never do business together. And Haymon mostly does business with showtime. Most of the notable MW SMW and LHW as said before fight on HBO. But youre right. Al Haymon is the ideal manager for black fighters.

I think Ward should sign with DiBella. DiBella did great with Sergio Martinez career. I mean this was a man thats been shitted on in his controversial loses, shitted on by HBO, the WBC, and DiBella still managed to bring him to the top WAY after his prime. DiBella got him the right fights. Martinez barely had any fan base. And DiBella/Haymon promoted Andre Berto fairly well too. Bt i dont think DiBella ENT. does business with golden boy anymore either.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jun 17 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Ward will find out quick that Bob only wants to showcase his foreigners who are out there fighting for their country. As with Mayweather, Ward will become "just another n*gger" under Top Prank. Oddly enough, I think Ward has even less of a chance to fight Chavez if he signs with Top Prank. Keeping it real, Ward needs a fight like that to become a star. It's one thing to maintain your morals rather than selling out for the money. It's another thing to allow yourself to fall into obscurity. I don't get how a fighter who seems so intelligent in and out of the ring, can't see the corruption behind Top Prank, especially with African American fighters.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 17 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I agree with most of you on here. I don't see TR being the answer for ward. I also never see him being a ppv star, he can sell tickets in Oakland but he reminds me too much of Hopkins to be a ppv star in my eyes. I could see him banking off of a fight or two with other guys that have huge fan bases but I doubt he can do it himself.

I just don't see TR with the management and stable to get ward to the next level. And it sucks really cause the guy is a beast

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:12 PM