IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre Ward looking to sign with Top Rank, Good? Bad? smart?...
mrchitown
post Jun 17 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

Froch wasn't even able to get under his skin when they were facing off in the super six and that Floyd stuff I doubt got to him as well. He isn't a man who is rattled by what others say, if that was the case then some of the comments the fans make about him would've caused him to fight like Bradley did against Provdnikov.

The guy is approaching 30 and he should be in meaningful fights, he has been signaling for quite some time that he wants a change. I think that J prince may be out also because he's been doing some interviews where he's voiced his displeasure with his services as well. But TR isn't a good move in my view because Arum has blasted the black fan base numerous times and his track record with r black fighters is sketchy. True Ward embodies what Arum and TR look for in black fighters but so did Bradley and look where that got him.

I think he should try to go it alone and do it on his own terms. Too many fighters leave their career in the hands of the promoters, he's an Indian who should be a chief.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 17 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 17 2013, 09:31 PM) *
Froch wasn't even able to get under his skin when they were facing off in the super six and that Floyd stuff I doubt got to him as well. He isn't a man who is rattled by what others say, if that was the case then some of the comments the fans make about him would've caused him to fight like Bradley did against Provdnikov.

The guy is approaching 30 and he should be in meaningful fights, he has been signaling for quite some time that he wants a change. I think that J prince may be out also because he's been doing some interviews where he's voiced his displeasure with his services as well. But TR isn't a good move in my view because Arum has blasted the black fan base numerous times and his track record with r black fighters is sketchy. True Ward embodies what Arum and TR look for in black fighters but so did Bradley and look where that got him.

I think he should try to go it alone and do it on his own terms. Too many fighters leave their career in the hands of the promoters, he's an Indian who should be a chief.

i think the difference between bradley and ward though is that bradley was second fiddle to pacquiao. i don't believe arum has anyone at 168. but now that u mention it...i could see chavez moving there in the near future and ward having to play second fiddle to him.

going it alone can be risky. he'll be puttin up his own money...and that's a lot of work when you don't have an al haymon on your team. i can't see james prince doing any more than he's already done. you got me rethinking this.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jun 17 2013, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 17 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 17 2013, 08:36 PM) *
i think the difference between bradley and ward though is that bradley was second fiddle to pacquiao. i don't believe arum has anyone at 168. but now that u mention it...i could see chavez moving there in the near future and ward having to play second fiddle to him.

going it alone can be risky. he'll be puttin up his own money...and that's a lot of work when you don't have an al haymon on your team. i can't see james prince doing any more than he's already done. you got me rethinking this.

At some point you got to do a nut check lol. It's a risk reward when you go it alone. I know this well since I own my own company. But hard work which he has pays off. I'd rather go it alone then depend on another man to feed me. I say it all the time some people are meant to be employees and the others are meant to be bosses. He needs to figure that one out. I hate the idea of Arum but a Chavez fight would do wonders for his legacy.

No one can say wth it is exactly that J prince does. Dawson sued him and said all he did was give him a photo shoot out in Houston. What does this man do to warrant being a manger? It's hard to tell. I can't name one of his fighters that didn't disagree with his methods and question his role. Well I don't recall Shane or Wink speaking bad about him but it's very telling that Ward is on record a lot lately as saying he's displeased with the guy

+Quote Post
Junior80
post Jun 17 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 13,946

I hope to god ward doesn't sign with that piece of garbage arum, IMO arum ruined pacquaio , ruined our chances of a mayweather pacquaio fight, he is just trash, ward is so much better then that . He should go Haymon without a doubt....top rank is shit

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 17 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 17 2013, 10:00 PM) *
At some point you got to do a nut check lol. It's a risk reward when you go it alone. I know this well since I own my own company. But hard work which he has pays off. I'd rather go it alone then depend on another man to feed me. I say it all the time some people are meant to be employees and the others are meant to be bosses. He needs to figure that one out. I hate the idea of Arum but a Chavez fight would do wonders for his legacy.

No one can say wth it is exactly that J prince does. Dawson sued him and said all he did was give him a photo shoot out in Houston. What does this man do to warrant being a manger? It's hard to tell. I can't name one of his fighters that didn't disagree with his methods and question his role. Well I don't recall Shane or Wink speaking bad about him but it's very telling that Ward is on record a lot lately as saying he's displeased with the guy

i wouldn't doubt that a young ward signed with him simply because floyd was with him. a lot of ppl in boxing do shit like that because they don't know any better. i seem to remember hearing that floyd sr and jeff tried to warn young floyd...but he got put out as a result. sometimes ppl have to learn shit the hard way. i don't know what the guy does. i've heard him speak once or twice...i don't recall him being the most articulate cat. i get the feeling he sits in on negotiations...goes thru the motions....gets ward to sign the contracts and collects his 30%. i know he's has rap-a-lot records. he must know something? maybe he helps finance ward until he gets paid? who knows? at this point...ward is about as well known as he's going to be. anything else is just icing on the cake. he can step up his legacy a few ways...great wins, longevity etc... the thing that doesn't get said when going it alone is all the added pressure that can take away from training. boxing itself is a hard enough sport without having to worry about things like promotion, ticket sales, venue, contracts..etc... can ward do it? maybe. but at this stage in his career is it wise to try? i'm not so sure. he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to do it himself...if he was...he would have done it long ago.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jun 17 2013, 09:29 PM

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jun 17 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 17 2013, 07:24 PM) *
I agree with most of you on here. I don't see TR being the answer for ward. I also never see him being a ppv star, he can sell tickets in Oakland but he reminds me too much of Hopkins to be a ppv star in my eyes. I could see him banking off of a fight or two with other guys that have huge fan bases but I doubt he can do it himself.

I just don't see TR with the management and stable to get ward to the next level. And it sucks really cause the guy is a beast

This

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 18 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 17 2013, 09:28 PM) *
i wouldn't doubt that a young ward signed with him simply because floyd was with him. a lot of ppl in boxing do shit like that because they don't know any better. i seem to remember hearing that floyd sr and jeff tried to warn young floyd...but he got put out as a result. sometimes ppl have to learn shit the hard way. i don't know what the guy does. i've heard him speak once or twice...i don't recall him being the most articulate cat. i get the feeling he sits in on negotiations...goes thru the motions....gets ward to sign the contracts and collects his 30%. i know he's has rap-a-lot records. he must know something? maybe he helps finance ward until he gets paid? who knows? at this point...ward is about as well known as he's going to be. anything else is just icing on the cake. he can step up his legacy a few ways...great wins, longevity etc... the thing that doesn't get said when going it alone is all the added pressure that can take away from training. boxing itself is a hard enough sport without having to worry about things like promotion, ticket sales, venue, contracts..etc... can ward do it? maybe. but at this stage in his career is it wise to try? i'm not so sure. he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to do it himself...if he was...he would have done it long ago.

He is smart enough to pull it off. He's grown a fan base in Oakland, he needs to do a Sugar Ray, and a Mayweather. Be your own promoter and sub contract a GB or TR. I'd rather fail on my own then sink on someone else's boat. Like Denzel said in training day he needs to figure out if he's a wolf or a sheep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I heard that too about them telling Floyd Jr to stay away from him. He has a bad track record in boxing. I give him props for rap a lot, that's one of the iconic hip hop labels but this ain't hip hop, you can't do that strong arm shit in boxing. But it seems he keeps getting fighters. I think one day is run in boxing will come to an end, these young kids don't know him and eventually the dirt will come out

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jun 18 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #18

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Junior80 @ Jun 17 2013, 10:06 PM) *
I hope to god ward doesn't sign with that piece of garbage arum, IMO arum ruined pacquaio , ruined our chances of a mayweather pacquaio fight, he is just trash, ward is so much better then that . He should go Haymon without a doubt....top rank is shit

Arum made Pac

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 18 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 18 2013, 01:01 AM) *
He is smart enough to pull it off. He's grown a fan base in Oakland, he needs to do a Sugar Ray, and a Mayweather. Be your own promoter and sub contract a GB or TR. I'd rather fail on my own then sink on someone else's boat. Like Denzel said in training day he needs to figure out if he's a wolf or a sheep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I heard that too about them telling Floyd Jr to stay away from him. He has a bad track record in boxing. I give him props for rap a lot, that's one of the iconic hip hop labels but this ain't hip hop, you can't do that strong arm shit in boxing. But it seems he keeps getting fighters. I think one day is run in boxing will come to an end, these young kids don't know him and eventually the dirt will come out

the fact that he is considering top rank tells me he's not educated enough on the matter to do it himself. i hear what you're saying and i agree.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 18 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 01:57 PM) *
the fact that he is considering top rank tells me he's not educated enough on the matter to do it himself. i hear what you're saying and i agree.

It's going to be real intriguing to see how this turns out......din't he say he wanted to return in the fall?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:44 AM