IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it wise for a trainer to have multiple star pupils in one stable?
Gambit808
post Jun 18 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

To me it seems like a trainer has his work cut out for him when having a stable of fighters who are champions with a name for themselves, ala Garcia, Hunter, or Roach. Though it is saying a lot about the quality of training success they bring, it seems like the guys who give most of there time, if not, all of there time to a main pupil, has more advantages towards success with a fighter, than the guy who has 4-5 champions in there stable to focus on. I hear Andre Berto maybe on tap to work with Vrigil Hunter now and it got me thinking, is it in a fighters best interest to go with a guy whom already has a stable full of well known fighters?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 18 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 18 2013, 04:53 PM) *
To me it seems like a trainer has his work cut out for him when having a stable of fighters who are champions with a name for themselves, ala Garcia, Hunter, or Roach. Though it is saying a lot about the quality of training success they bring, it seems like the guys who give most of there time, if not, all of there time to a main pupil, has more advantages towards success with a fighter, than the guy who has 4-5 champions in there stable to focus on. I hear Andre Berto maybe on tap to work with Vrigil Hunter now and it got me thinking, is it in a fighters best interest to go with a guy whom already has a stable full of well known fighters?

it's a difficult task to handle. i watched great fighters not get the attention they deserved or needed at the wildcard because freddie roach had more talent than he could handle.

i think it depends on the trainer and his system. but generally speaking....it's like children...on parent per child. anything more than that and the kids get short changed.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 18 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 05:08 PM) *
it's a difficult task to handle. i watched great fighters not get the attention they deserved or needed at the wildcard because freddie roach had more talent than he could handle.

i think it depends on the trainer and his system. but generally speaking....it's like children...on parent per child. anything more than that and the kids get short changed.

So why is it some fighters still go to trainers who seem like they already have there hands full with talent? Shouldn't they look for a guy good enough and willing to give them time and there undivided attention?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 18 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 18 2013, 05:18 PM) *
So why is it some fighters still go to trainers who seem like they already have there hands full with talent? Shouldn't they look for a guy good enough and willing to give them time and there undivided attention?

because they don't have that understanding. they don't totally get the dynamics between trainer/fighter or teacher/student. as a result...many very good fighters have ruined their careers. yes...they should look for that guy that can give them what they need...but that in itself is very difficult to do. i think the key is to look at what a trainer is producing. if he is consistently churning out talent that has the attributes a fighter wants/needs...then they should pursue that trainer. the thing about it though is that just because some fighters had chemistry/winning formula with some trainers doesn't mean that the next guy will. case in point....nacho beristain. how many great fighters did he develop? how many went to him looking to get the same and ended up looking worse? these things take time. it's rare when it happens over night.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Jun 18 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

damn, great post prof.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jun 18 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Yeah why not, I don't see a big issue if they've taken them by hand from day one, but a lot of these fighters change trainers like a baby changes underwear. Dawson is a pretty obvious example of this.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 18 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Only if the trainer can manage his time extremely well, cause of they don't the guys without the star power that he doesn't give enough time to are just wasting their money.

I'd rather have a fully committed average trainer than a really good trainer who only gives you half his time or less. It has to be concerning for a fighter and it probably plays a role in their confidence.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 18 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Jun 18 2013, 06:42 PM) *
damn, great post prof.

thanks.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 18 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 18 2013, 07:34 PM) *
Only if the trainer can manage his time extremely well, cause of they don't the guys without the star power that he doesn't give enough time to are just wasting their money.

I'd rather have a fully committed average trainer than a really good trainer who only gives you half his time or less. It has to be concerning for a fighter and it probably plays a role in their confidence.

I hear ya, but It's gotta be tough worrying about multiple quality fighters especially if say his fighters fight dates are close together or sometime on the same card, right? Examples like Freddie Roach when he had Khan complaining about the amount of time he was being attended to as compared to the more popular Pacman, or Cotto when he was with Steward.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 18 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 05:38 PM) *
because they don't have that understanding. they don't totally get the dynamics between trainer/fighter or teacher/student. as a result...many very good fighters have ruined their careers. yes...they should look for that guy that can give them what they need...but that in itself is very difficult to do. i think the key is to look at what a trainer is producing. if he is consistently churning out talent that has the attributes a fighter wants/needs...then they should pursue that trainer. the thing about it though is that just because some fighters had chemistry/winning formula with some trainers doesn't mean that the next guy will. case in point....nacho beristain. how many great fighters did he develop? how many went to him looking to get the same and ended up looking worse? these things take time. it's rare when it happens over night.

I read ya, good post.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Jun 18 2013, 07:49 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:12 PM