IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showtime@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT) Broner vs. Malinaggi-SPOILERS, No New Spoiler Threads or Public Streams (Topics Merged)
daprofessor
post Jun 24 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #221

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 24 2013, 06:15 PM) *
Now...if only I could get back around to watching this card without a drink in my hand, I could make an educated assessment (unlike the garbage that I posted Saturday night). It seems to be the hardest thing to do, right about now.

Looks like I'm not the only one hitting the sauce, lol. Wasn't Floyd supposed to "Gatti" Cotto last year? Paulie should be given waaaay more respect than this. I know you're a Floyd fan, but at least be a fan with good reasoning. If Broner

styles make fights. paulie isn't the pressure fighter cotto is...he doesn't have the bricks in his gloves that cotto has either. i agree with dolo...he gets gatti'd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 24 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #222

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 24 2013, 06:19 PM) *
But would he really? Paulie isn't stupid enough to get that badly beaten up, I wouldn't say he wins, or even that its amazingly close, but I think Paulie will have his moments.

the difference between floyd and broner....floyd has waaay more tools/intelligence at his disposal. broner only had one way and didn't adjust. floyd will take things away consistently/systematically...and when he walks you down, he knows how to lead. floyd throws to the body consistently. he wouldn't have missed as much as broner did. he would freeze paulie with a good shot and best believe the follow up shots would all land.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 24 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #223

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 24 2013, 07:48 PM) *
Floyd is suppose to gatti everyone... Until he doesn't

i knew he wouldn't gatti cotto.

i know he'll gatti pac.

i know he'll gatti malignaggi.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 24 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #224

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jun 23 2013, 08:10 PM) *
Shoutout to the miami heat

No man...it's the Miami Heat(s)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 24 2013, 07:26 PM) *
I actually thought Floyd would get knocked down by Cotto. I have all the respect for Cotto. I actually the fight was way closer than those whack ass score cards. I had it 7-5 for Mayweather. Cotto did everything possible to win that fight.

Paulie is a great fighter no doubt, but I am looking at how Mayweather would cut the ring off and counter everything Paulie would throw at him. Broner stood in front of him and got hit, which made no since to me. I thought Broner would display all facets of his skill set. I actually picked Paulie to win this fight, go back in look. I haven't been drinking actually, the summer and alcohol for me is a very bad combination. Too many Cali girls walking around half naked and looking good, liquor only worsen this!

I remember your prediction for the Paulie fight, and you weren't around for the whole "Cotto is gonna get Gatti'd on May 5th" rebuttal, so no need to explain that part. Lol. I still think that Paulie is smart enough to use movement and not get embarrassed.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 24 2013, 09:31 PM) *
styles make fights. paulie isn't the pressure fighter cotto is...he doesn't have the bricks in his gloves that cotto has either. i agree with dolo...he gets gatti'd.

If Broner (who most deem "the more offensive Mayweather") couldn't do it, then I wouldn't count on Floyd fighting like he did in the Gatti fight, which was a good 8 years ago. If he didn't do it to Hatton, whom he froze with most of his shots, and was two years removed from that Gatti performance, then I dont think he could pull it off against a dude who has no power and has NOTHING else to lean on, other than his movement, jab, and punch volume.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Jun 24 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #225

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 24 2013, 07:46 PM) *
imo, paulie got some glow off of winning the title. the diaz fights were the beginning of his rebirth and he's had a second life in boxing so to speak. i thought most wrote him off after the khan loss...but here he is hanging with one of the young up-and-comers. his stock did not go down in this fight and he will get a few more decent pay days. at the end of the day.....paulie is an over achiever in boxing.

^^^^THIS. Well-deserved, as well.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Jun 24 2013, 09:27 PM
Post #226

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 24 2013, 09:13 PM) *
so you thought broner won 9-3? adrian gave away the first 3-4 rounds in my book. he didn't find that counter right hand consistantly until mid fight and it was there for him since the beginning. over the next 8....you didn't give paulie a single round?

ok...let's look at the scoring criteria...

clean punching

effective aggression

ring generalship

defense

with that in mind...there were several missed punches by both guys. paulie was landing shots when he threw to broners body in combination (pitty pat or not) and those combinations did keep broner from coming forward in spots. is that not ring generalship? was broners inching forward through out effective aggression? he did land the occasional big shot on paulie...but paulie was also rolling with more than a few of those big punches. a lot of that is subjective. punch stats are b.s. and they don't tell the story of each round which is how fights are judged.

of course you judge a guy jumping up two weight classes off of his first fight. accomplishing a feat that has only been done by a small hand full of boxers in history is an amazing thing. does his measure up to the others? no. but at the end of the day...a win is a win. all the other guys who did it didn't stay on top long after accomplishing it. imo, broner would be better suited at a lower weight. i don't know that it's going to get any better for him at this weight with all of the competition out there. he is not the complete package and it's clear he isn't the type to rise to the occasion. i think he is pretty much all that he is going to be at this point. they really need to match him carefully to keep the party going. i think there are a few guys out there who have the tools and see that he is very beatable.

what i see in broner is a guy who is getting high praise for being like floyd without having accomplished a fraction of what floyd has accomplished. you see it all the time in all walks of life. ppl are always looking for the next so and so...in hopes of prolonging the enjoyment/entertainment they get from that particular star. i see flashes of brilliance from him....minus the consistency of floyd. floyd's character/persona has never been something i was fond of so it pretty much goes without saying that broners lack of character/persona sinks to even lower levels. without the accomplishments of floyd, who is truly brilliant, i can't see broner being the star everyone is hoping for. the copy is never as good as the original.

I actually had it 8-4 and even after 4.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jun 24 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #227

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 24 2013, 07:40 PM) *
floyd had a bad shoulder against castillo 1. he shut him out in the rematch.

floyd was on his way to stopping judah until judah saved himself by fouling floyd.

floyd carried dlh imo in hopes of getting a rematch for another big pay day.

i agree...floyd would gatti paulie.

LOL! I had a very controversial draw in the Mayweather-Castillo II fight. No way a shut out for Floyd. I was very pro-Castillo as I thought the first fight was a robbery and that Castillo won. The second fight, neither did anything all that great. Judges scores and press-row scores ranged from 115-113 for Floyd to 117-111 for Floyd. No shutout cards. A true shut-out Mayweather fight was Mayweather-N'dou or Mayweather-Soso, or with the exception of round 2, Mayweather-Mosley. Mayweather-Castillo II does not fit that pattern.

For some odd reason, Harold and I had almost identical cards for Mayweather-Castillo II. He had it 115-113 for Floyd, and I had it 114-114 giving the 4th round to Castillo. Harold gave it to Floyd. The rematch was very boring compared to the first fight.

I agree with everything else Professor said.

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 25 2013, 12:00 AM
Post #228

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 24 2013, 09:23 PM) *
If Broner (who most deem "the more offensive Mayweather") couldn't do it, then I wouldn't count on Floyd fighting like he did in the Gatti fight, which was a good 8 years ago. If he didn't do it to Hatton, whom he froze with most of his shots, and was two years removed from that Gatti performance, then I dont think he could pull it off against a dude who has no power and has NOTHING else to lean on, other than his movement, jab, and punch volume.

I agree. Plus Floyd doesn't fight like how he did in gatti fight anymore

I could see him doing a few things different from broner that could possibly hurt/stun/ or drop paulie. Working behind a high guard and also using his reach (which broner didn't have).

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 25 2013, 01:51 AM
Post #229

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 24 2013, 08:31 PM) *

Shutup Professor.....Band Camp!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 25 2013, 01:53 AM
Post #230

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

Broner's defense will need some improvement if he's going to campaign at welter or even at junior welter, if Paulie had just a little bit more pop on his punches we would be talking differently about this fight. I wasn't really impressed with Broner this fight, though I think he won but I was actually more impressed in what Malignaggi did

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:08 AM