IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Many forums reporting Garcia vs Zab almost done, Danny wants 5 million and usada testing for lucas
daprofessor
post Jun 27 2013, 02:26 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 27 2013, 01:41 AM) *
Just a curious question, has anyone ever even gotten paid 5 mill for a non ppv fight??

that's what this fight is going to end up being...ppv. i'm not saying it should be...but for the war it's going to be...they deserve to be paid right. corrales/castillo 1 was not ppv. everyone knew that would be a war...it was. neither guy was ever the same. the rematch was ppv. they still didn't get paid properly. margarito/cotto was ppv. both guys came out diminished in that fight and neither was ever the same imo. they should have been paid well.

berto has made some handsome pay days for non ppv fights...but never 5 mil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 27 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 27 2013, 01:42 PM) *
Matthysse is a one hit wonder! One shot is all it takes. He is an exciting fighter... Kinda like Pacquiao. People love nasty ass knockouts and Lucas provides that. Now is he a great technician? Not really, but he has solid hands. People love that. Danny wants to have a long career and do I blame him for wanting to put old legends on hid resume? No, but it makes his look suspect. 140 is an explosive division, he can't keep fighting old warriors, eventually Danny boy will have to get inside the ring a live wire. beating Matthysee could better his chances in the Mayweather lotto. Danny is really hurting himself and his record. People can go back and nip pick and say he has only fought older guys. Here is a chance for him to step into the lime light of boxing and stop the Machine. It is his career, however, fighting Zab is not an easy rematch, hardly. Zab has tasted his power and survived, Swift better be careful. Hell maybe this can be an undercard for The One... I really hate that title

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having old legends on you resume, because truthfully, most of these new age fighters are lacking that. Not to mention that some of these old legends are hard to kill (Morales, Judah, Mosley, Hopkins)...just when you think they're taking their last stand, they end up proving that they still have some fight in them.

I agree that he's going to need to fight a live wire soon, but again, his live wire was Khan last July, and he passed that test, hence why he's the champ of the division, and guys are now looking to him for a fight and a decent payday. At this point, I think he's earned his shot at maximizing his paydays in the division...that's if he stays there long enough. The good news is, guys who dont fight each other at 140, can always fight that person at WW, since most of them are young and still growing.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 27 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 27 2013, 05:37 AM) *
Umm what happend to the supposed Jr.Welterweight tournament finale??? Danny only been on the scene for a year, and with all do respect to the two future HOF'ers he beat, he thinks those fights along with the khan fight puts him up there with JMM or Cotto's numbers? Gtfoh!!! U tellin me he's more interested in building his brand, by chasing a rematch with yet another "past his prime HOF'er" because again, he didn't look all that convincing the first time out. He'd rather that than face Matthysse, a guy who could put him in position to seeing those kind of figures quicker than a Zab Judah rematch could, assuming he wins and keeps winning?? Gtfoh!!!

what you are saying can all be viewed as truth...but let's be honest, it's a fans perspective. for starters, that tournament was bullshit to begin with. how and why should danny have to fight the tougher fights when he already ko'd khan. why does khan get the winner in the end? what did he do to get that? i thought it was bullshit from the beginning and that was oscar blowing smoke up amirs ass. make no mistake about it...promoters/managers/trainers have a vested interest in their fighters. the fighters don't make these decisions alone. it's the reason they sign contracts. al is not going to let this fight happen now. if he does, he's flushing money down the drain. it's similar to gamboa/juanma. as a fan...it pissed me off that fight didn't happen. as someone who has spent plenty of time training and developing fighters....i totally get why it didn't happen. it's all a gamble. you have to make educated decisions. unfortunately, they don't always get them right. in this situation, i hope they get it right because if and when that fight happens and they can both stay on their paths....it's going to be huge.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 27 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 27 2013, 02:07 PM) *
Since when is danny the end all be all as well? The guy is acting like he runs this shit. A lot of his fights are becoming suspect, taking these BS rematches and padding his record is exactly what is wrong with boxing, fuck his "star power" his marketability and that shit. Matthysse has done good numbers on showtime and people love watching him no matter who thinks he's just a brawler. And he has done more than enlighten to get a shot at this kid that thinks he's number one but keeps taking old ass fighters instead of showing people he is the real deal. If the testing is the only reason for this fight not being made then yes its on Lucas but rumor is this cat is pricing himself out, motherfucker sounds like Andre berto 2.0 now! No way does this kid deserve that much money for any fight right now

danny has two straps and a win over a guy that matthysse loss to. he's the only guy at 140 holding two pieces of the puzzle. i'm not sure why peterson/matthyses wasn't for the ibf strap...but matthysse should have that now. it's a bargaining chip. at this point...all i know is what i've heard here. i don't know that danny is asking for 5 mil and i don't know that lucas is refusing testing. those can both just be rumors. until i hear it from either guys mouth, i'll treat it as such and speculate in the meantime.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 27 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 27 2013, 03:07 PM) *
Since when is danny the end all be all as well? The guy is acting like he runs this shit. A lot of his fights are becoming suspect, taking these BS rematches and padding his record is exactly what is wrong with boxing, fuck his "star power" his marketability and that shit. Matthysse has done good numbers on showtime and people love watching him no matter who thinks he's just a brawler. And he has done more than enlighten to get a shot at this kid that thinks he's number one but keeps taking old ass fighters instead of showing people he is the real deal. If the testing is the only reason for this fight not being made then yes its on Lucas but rumor is this cat is pricing himself out, motherfucker sounds like Andre berto 2.0 now! No way does this kid deserve that much money for any fight right now

The end all be all, is usually the guy with all the belts...or at least the guy whose going to get you a decent payday. I cant name a fighter who is making big paydays off of Matthysse, so again, he isn't the end all be all at 140. That's like guys were saying that Maidana was the man to get through at 140, true, but Maidana was and still is taking chump change for fights. he was just a hard guy to beat...nothing more, nothing less...Matthysse's in the same boat.

What card has Matthysse headlined on Showtime, that even shows that he did good numbers? If he did happen to do good numbers, it was because he was the co-feature on the card, not the headliner. I dont remember Matthysse/Ajose doing tv numbers like that, and from what I checking out, the gate didn't do that great either. I've been inside the Hard Rock where they fought, and trust me, it isn't big at all, and Im sure those seats were no more than $60 on the high end.

Hell, Danny JUST started selling tickets, not too long ago. He and Khan's gate was terrible last July. Now, the gate and numbers that he's been doing at the Barclay's as the headliner, have been pretty good. Why? It damn sure wasn't because of Matthysse.

At this point, Danny's fighting the fights that truly matter. I think it's because of the titles that he holds, that people are rushing these fights. Hell, Matthysse can't even get a real title at full title at 140, so what makes him think he's going to get a fight to possibly hold all of them?

Matthysse is good fighter, but let's just be real here...they aren't building this dude up to be a champion. One would wonder why he couldn't even get the title off of Lamont, and he knocked him out. Before they even signed, he knew that wasn't a title fight. Does anybody wonder why that didn't happen? Hello...they can still go back and make Peterson/Judah on the east coast and rack up money. Notice how "Matthysse" and money, tickets, sales, titles, etc., cant even be put in the same sentence and make sense.

I agree with him not deserving $5M, that's waaay too steep. Again, here comes the business part. If he's asking for $5M right now, then chances are, the fight wont happen. The good thing is, the promoters and managers will put more effort into building up the two of them, which includes having both of them in more noteworthy fights (maybe two a piece), promote the hell outta those fights, and make their big fight worth $5M. Nobody at 140 is worth $5M, combined or alone. While those fights are being built, more star power will be brought to the division, and guys will get more exposure and paydays, so the division can live on.

Think about it, what if Danny loses his next fight to whoever? You think they're going to put him in there with Matthysse still? Nope. They'll get Danny a couple of confidence building fights, then Matthysse will get Danny at his new stage, not while he's the unified champ with everything to lose, and nothing to gain by beating Matthysse. That's just like Manny and Floyd fighting now. No way in hell Bob was gonna let that happen when Many was on top of the world. Now that he's been humbled a bit, the people will still get what they want, and one of the two parties wont have as much power to fuck up all the negotiations over little stuff.

This Garcia/Matthysse fight will happen, but Im not so sure it happens THIS soon...regardless of what Shaefer is spewing to the public. As far as Im concerned, GBP making Mayweather/Canelo happen, will surely take the edge off of any "mishaps" about the Garcia/Matthysse fight not happening. Right now, the "general public" is getting what they want in Mayweather/Canelo, so no need for Garcia/Matthysse to lose any steam or light, because of it. Wait til the fans calm down after Canelo/Mayweather, then they can make that fight happen.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 27 2013, 02:54 PM
Post #26

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 27 2013, 03:10 PM) *
very good points and an honest look at the whole situation. it appears to me that they are trying to tap into the puerto rican fan base which has no star at the moment. danny has the potential to be that. make no mistake about it, matthysse is legit and he is a serious threat. danny asking for 5mil is accurate for a difficult task like that imo. what they should do is throw garcia and matthysse on the undercard (in separate bouts) of floyd/canelo to get them the proper exposure they need. this fight will be huge if they play their cards right. i see no need in rematching zab though. he won that fight convincingly and it's a dangerous rematch that i don't believe zab deserves.

I didn't even think of them putting Danny and Lucas in two separate bouts on the undercard of Mayweather/Canelo. Well shit, that would just be a damn triple-header, with the possibility of somebody getting paid nothing.

I HATE business...most of the time, it gets in the way of good fights happening. Lol. That would be a good idea...OR, GBP could schedule a doubleheader with Garcia and Matthysse fighting separate opponents, the week after the PPV with Floyd/Canelo, since most will tune in to see the free replay.

That's one thing about Floyd's PPVs, dude is always guaranteed to make a metric fuck-ton of money, which leaves most of the guys on the undercard, fighting for scraps. Smh

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 27 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 27 2013, 02:54 PM) *
I didn't even think of them putting Danny and Lucas in two separate bouts on the undercard of Mayweather/Canelo. Well shit, that would just be a damn triple-header, with the possibility of somebody getting paid nothing.

I HATE business...most of the time, it gets in the way of good fights happening. Lol. That would be a good idea...OR, GBP could schedule a doubleheader with Garcia and Matthysse fighting separate opponents, the week after the PPV with Floyd/Canelo, since most will tune in to see the free replay.

That's one thing about Floyd's PPVs, dude is always guaranteed to make a metric fuck-ton of money, which leaves most of the guys on the undercard, fighting for scraps. Smh

exactly. that makes the most sense because honestly...there won't be any real money for the undercard fighters.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 27 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 27 2013, 03:22 PM) *
he and a whole bunch of other ppl got it wrong. they all thought matthysse would lose. he had a look like, shit just got real. i didn't see the fear that everyone is talking about.

Like I said he said it himself he would rather fight lamont and he thought lamont would win.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 27 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 27 2013, 03:22 PM) *
he and a whole bunch of other ppl got it wrong. they all thought matthysse would lose. he had a look like, shit just got real. i didn't see the fear that everyone is talking about.

Like I said he said it himself he would rather fight lamont and he thought lamont would win.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 27 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 27 2013, 03:44 PM) *
danny has two straps and a win over a guy that matthysse loss to. he's the only guy at 140 holding two pieces of the puzzle. i'm not sure why peterson/matthyses wasn't for the ibf strap...but matthysse should have that now. it's a bargaining chip. at this point...all i know is what i've heard here. i don't know that danny is asking for 5 mil and i don't know that lucas is refusing testing. those can both just be rumors. until i hear it from either guys mouth, i'll treat it as such and speculate in the meantime.

The reason they didn't fight for both belts was because the two separate bodies said they wouldn't sanction a unification so they made the stupid catchweight so both fighters could keep their belts instead of being stripped ala Andre ward.

It sounds/looks like the Garcia camp is getting cold feet, I mean I don't blame them. I thought Garcia had a good chance of beating Lucas but I guess Garcia knows himself better than I do. A zab fight is shit, he has been giving more undeserving people title shots to keep himself spotless so Idk it just sounds like he's avoiding him. If he isn't gonna fight Lucas he may as well move up because there really isn't much left at 140 with lamont and khan saying they will move up

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 08:35 AM