IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGG Wants Mayweather:, May is turning into the ho everyone wants to sex..
BrutUalBK
post Jul 17 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #61

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 8 2013, 02:04 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

if floyd's undefeated record is what we point to as a measure of his success....why is it wrong to bring up roberto durans run? joe calzaghe went 46-0. are we to believe he is great because he did so? he did it his own way as well. is his career better than roys and bhops? he beat the both of them. or should we not hold these guys to the same standards? is joe an atg? he's seemingly done well for himself too! i'm sure parents would love to have their kids emulate joecal. who wouldn't want their son to be like him? he's a role model too, isn't he? floyd is 44-0 w/26 ko's while joecal is 46-0 w/32 ko's. is joe greater than floyd?

Your first point is the reason why all the rest is a problem. What do i mean? Glad you asked; once again out of all the undefeated fighters in the sport we single out Floyd, why?? Yes it's wrong to bring up Duran's run, why? Because that was in Roberto's era, not now. Calzaghe had his time and though Hopkins and Roy has wins since that robbery and loss (BHop won IMHO and Roy just got his anus dusted), his best will always be viewed with some measure of taintedness concerning his win over Roy (some say he was way past his prime) and even moreso vs Hopkins (a fight many feel he lost) but barring the Castillo 1 fight (one in which Floyd easily avenged) nobody came close to beating Floyd and there is no controversy on how he got to where he is. Is Joe an ATG? Not in my opinion but maybe by some and in his era he will be viewed as such.

Is Floyd an ATG? Not in comparison with the greats of my time but to many in this generation/their era then he will be viewed as such easily, so everything that an individual states is up for discussion concerning greatness and the comparisons will always be made from then to now.

Is a 69 Chevelle better than a 2013 Charger?? Who knows, who chooses what? Subjective is the word, and the choice is your's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 7 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #62

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 17 2013, 04:49 PM) *
Your first point is the reason why all the rest is a problem. What do i mean? Glad you asked; once again out of all the undefeated fighters in the sport we single out Floyd, why?? Yes it's wrong to bring up Duran's run, why? Because that was in Roberto's era, not now. Calzaghe had his time and though Hopkins and Roy has wins since that robbery and loss (BHop won IMHO and Roy just got his anus dusted), his best will always be viewed with some measure of taintedness concerning his win over Roy (some say he was way past his prime) and even moreso vs Hopkins (a fight many feel he lost) but barring the Castillo 1 fight (one in which Floyd easily avenged) nobody came close to beating Floyd and there is no controversy on how he got to where he is. Is Joe an ATG? Not in my opinion but maybe by some and in his era he will be viewed as such.

Is Floyd an ATG? Not in comparison with the greats of my time but to many in this generation/their era then he will be viewed as such easily, so everything that an individual states is up for discussion concerning greatness and the comparisons will always be made from then to now.

Is a 69 Chevelle better than a 2013 Charger?? Who knows, who chooses what? Subjective is the word, and the choice is your's.

a lot of ppl thought castillo beat floyd in the first fight. that was controversial.

joe...like floyd...has a lot of question marks around his reign because he didn't fight his best opponents at their peak. joecal's best win was over kessler or maybe lacy. one thing floyd has over joecal is longevity. the fact that he was fighter of the year in '98 and then again in '08....and he's still relevant and undefeated in '13 says a lot about him and the quality of his opposition.

as for the '69 chevelle compared to a '13 charger....there are several measurable factors that you can point to as evidence of which is better than the other. the thing you can't point to however, is what will that '13 charger be worth down the line? will it increase/decrease in value? the '69 chevelle is a classic collectible. only time will tell if the '13 charger will exceed the '69 chevelle. similarly...in boxing...only time will tell who's reign was greater...who's impact was more significant.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Aug 7 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #63

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

floyd is an enzo then, a high end supercar that will always increase in value, because of its rarity and exclusiveness. It is the pinnacle of the greatest supercar brand, the brand with the richest racing history in autosports.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 7 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #64

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Aug 7 2013, 07:09 PM) *
floyd is an enzo then, a high end supercar that will always increase in value, because of its rarity and exclusiveness. It is the pinnacle of the greatest supercar brand, the brand with the richest racing history in autosports.

well said. he's definitely up there.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Aug 7 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #65

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 7 2013, 04:02 PM) *
well said. he's definitely up there.

But, but, but, he ducked Margarito!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 8 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #66

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 7 2013, 10:53 PM) *
But, but, but, he ducked Margarito!

that's one of the asterisks (*) i spoke of earlier... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) casual fans don't give a shit....hardcore fans don't have total understanding. i get that floyd left arum and was still in court over money owed to him from the judah fight....so to do a deal with arum to fight margarito or cotto was not realistic at the time. now williams...who had beat margarito shortly after margarito called floyd out...that's a different story. i won't go into his choice to retire at that moment...or his ignoring paul williams call out...or roger and floyd sr both saying, "why should floyd have to fight all these guys? let them fight each other and when the smoke clears...blah, blah, blah.." none of that takes away from floyds skills.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Aug 8 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #67

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 8 2013, 01:01 PM) *
that's one of the asterisks (*) i spoke of earlier... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) casual fans don't give a shit....hardcore fans don't have total understanding. i get that floyd left arum and was still in court over money owed to him from the judah fight....so to do a deal with arum to fight margarito or cotto was not realistic at the time. now williams...who had beat margarito shortly after margarito called floyd out...that's a different story. i won't go into his choice to retire at that moment...or his ignoring paul williams call out...or roger and floyd sr both saying, "why should floyd have to fight all these guys? let them fight each other and when the smoke clears...blah, blah, blah.." none of that takes away from floyds skills.

I thought he had already planned on retiring after his last fight. I think he hurt his hand in that fight and wanted to retire. But shit who knows, do I think Williams would of hurt Mayweather? Um, with his reach he could do damage but I also think Williams lack of defense would of been his downfall.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 8 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #68

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 8 2013, 06:28 PM) *
I thought he had already planned on retiring after his last fight. I think he hurt his hand in that fight and wanted to retire. But shit who knows, do I think Williams would of hurt Mayweather? Um, with his reach he could do damage but I also think Williams lack of defense would of been his downfall.

yeah...williams had the tools...but whether he would have been able to get the job done...that's the question. one thing is for sure...the length and activity would have been a problem for floyd. you've never seen floyd fight anyone that tall or busy...plus he was a southpaw. i can say, i honestly thought pdub had a chance to beat floyd. we will never know for sure. imagine how differently things would have played out if after williams beat margarito he got the shot at cotto instead of bob serving him up to margarito.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Aug 9 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #69

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 8 2013, 03:46 PM) *
yeah...williams had the tools...but whether he would have been able to get the job done...that's the question. one thing is for sure...the length and activity would have been a problem for floyd. you've never seen floyd fight anyone that tall or busy...plus he was a southpaw. i can say, i honestly thought pdub had a chance to beat floyd. we will never know for sure. imagine how differently things would have played out if after williams beat margarito he got the shot at cotto instead of bob serving him up to margarito.

True. I mean shit, we can never tell. I know Diego was taller than him he chopped him down pretty good his best performance. P Williams reach and his work rate would be problematic, but his footwork sucked and his conditioning was okay. Could he cut off the ring and keep his work rate up against a moving target? it would of been interesting. If P Williams beat Cotto and called out Mayweather, I would hope Mayweather would say "bring it"

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 9 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #70

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 9 2013, 01:34 PM) *
True. I mean shit, we can never tell. I know Diego was taller than him he chopped him down pretty good his best performance. P Williams reach and his work rate would be problematic, but his footwork sucked and his conditioning was okay. Could he cut off the ring and keep his work rate up against a moving target? it would of been interesting. If P Williams beat Cotto and called out Mayweather, I would hope Mayweather would say "bring it"

in a perfect world...that should have been the way it played out.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 08:01 AM