Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto goes back to TopRank?!
klonopinz
post Jul 7 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #11

Super Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,879

im sick of all this virgil hunter bullshit, that guy is not the answer for every fighter, cotto has great defense already. amir khan and him do not mesh together watsoever, and khan has looked worse since joining him. At least roach had khans speed and offense dialed in to perfection, under hunter hes looked like a shell of his former self. virgil hunter cant just take any fighter and turn them into andre ward, ward would have been complete no matter who he trained with, just like floyd. they know how to fight instinctively, they were born to do it. enough with the pom poms
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Jul 7 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (Tray1201 @ Jul 7 2013, 02:22 PM) *
Cotto done

I don't think Cotto is done in the sport of Boxing. Actually I still consider him a top 5 Jr. Middleweight in the world. Fighting a guy like Rodriguez or Molina is a nice comeback fight for Cotto before another big one against a Bradley, Marquez or even a rematch with Pacman. I wanted to see the Cotto-Alvarez match, but it looks like that will not be happening at this point. The good thing for Cotto is that as long as he keeps his contracts short term he has the option to fight Boxers from different promotional companies.

This post has been edited by xxxxxx: Jul 7 2013, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Jul 7 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 7 2013, 05:23 PM) *
im sick of all this virgil hunter bullshit, that guy is not the answer for every fighter, cotto has great defense already. amir khan and him do not mesh together watsoever, and khan has looked worse since joining him. At least roach had khans speed and offense dialed in to perfection, under hunter hes looked like a shell of his former self. virgil hunter cant just take any fighter and turn them into andre ward, ward would have been complete no matter who he trained with, just like floyd. they know how to fight instinctively, they were born to do it. enough with the pom poms

I would have to agree with you on this one

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 7 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #14

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 7 2013, 02:23 PM) *

So Virgil Hill is overrated in your opinion but Roach isn't? What Hill did with that kid Gonzalez was brilliant. It is not so much the technique that Hill uses but the confidence that he gives his fighters during rounds. I think Cotto gets down on himself, Hill would be a constant positive reinforcement for him. No one is saying they will be another Andre Ward, two different fighters. Amir Khan is a shit boxer anyway. Great hand speed and exciting, but there is no cure for stupidity and a glass chin.

+Quote Post
HyyerBlaze
post Jul 7 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #15

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,954

There goes any chance at a canelo/cotto fight.

Doubt his performance had anything to do with his trainer..guy just wasnt in shape in his last fight (imo) thats on him

This post has been edited by HyyerBlaze: Jul 7 2013, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 7 2013, 06:53 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Jul 8 2013, 12:21 AM) *
There goes any chance at a canelo/cotto fight.

Doubt his performance had anything to do with his trainer..guy just wasnt in shape im his last fight (imo) thats on him

I swear Cotto always gasses late in his fights.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 7 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Cotto should not have left Pedro.

Would not be surprised if delving beats cotto. Maybe even stops him, delvin is no slouch by any means and I don't think roach can get more out of cotto than diaz

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jul 8 2013, 12:43 AM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 8 2013, 12:14 AM) *
Cotto should not have left Pedro.

Would not be surprised if delving beats cotto. Maybe even stops him, delvin is no slouch by any means and I don't think roach can get more out of cotto than diaz

I'm with you. I would not be surprised to see Rodriguez beat Cotto. Cotto is just too small for 154 and likely doesnt want to put the work in to make 147.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 8 2013, 01:22 AM
Post #19

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 7 2013, 04:23 PM) *

Hunter is a great trainer and maybe the reason khan as you say has looked so bad is because he's not used to fighting as an actual pro style. I think you insult Hunter and other trainers when you compare what Roach did for khan as opposed to what Virgil is doing. Khan was mediocre before with and after Roach, his chin is the worst and there's no coaching that.

If I had a kid who wanted to box I'd take them to Hunter before Freddie, he's over rated in my eyes. I'd train with the under rated and under appreciated Jeff Mayweather before him. He's good but not as good as the media and others claim. Ward is a special talent but to say he'd be complete no matter who he trained with is disagreeable. It takes a good coach to cultivate and build on talent, and Ward is being trained by a master. It's few masters in the sport but there's no shortage of good trainers like a red die Roach or Robert Garcia. But people like Nazi Richardson and Virgil hunter are masters of their craft

Cotto has great defense lol? Yeah ok believe that if you want. Khan is an offensive fighter, Roach is good at these types of boxers, can't really name too many defensive studs coming out of the wild card gym. His combos are amateurish at best, he's a rinse, cycle and repeat guy. Ring IQ, defense, technique are just a few examples of what Hunter can and is trying to improve with Khan. Roach ain't doing none of that. As far as pom poms, people pompom the the heck out of Roach, I hope you take issue with that as well

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 8 2013, 01:29 AM
Post #20

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 7 2013, 06:53 PM) *
I swear Cotto always gasses late in his fights.

That's why I think Diaz was so good for him because he tailor made his training regimen around Cotto's strengths and weaknesses. I like the approach he took to training Cotto.

When ever things don't go his way, he switches trainers. He needs to look at what he isn't doing instead of looking to always make a switch in trainers. I think he made a mistake when he left Steward. Steward improved his balance and had Cotto actually working behind the jab again. And we all know cotto has a solid jab. Steward is a better trainer then Roach and I bet the work that he did with Cotto will outweigh anything Freddie does with him

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 06:35 AM