Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto goes back to TopRank?!
klonopinz
post Jul 9 2013, 03:51 AM
Post #31

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,879

it had nothing to do with his uncle evangelista, in fact they hated each other and created negativity in the camp which is never good. When cotto was with evangelista and winning all those fights it was because he was strong as shit and in his prime. cotto has always been his own boss, and has always only needed a trainer to get him in shape, not really teach him. cotto knows how to fight and is a very intelligent fighter, but it looks like he takes a beating because his facial features swell up and make him look a lot worse then it really is. He is a very clever fighter and he knows how to use his experience in the ring.

He would be a great test for canelo to go 12 rounds against IMO. I believe he would go the distance and give canelo a mayweather type of performance under roach. I believe roach will do for him much like he did for ruslan and get his ferociousness back and his aggressive ness and offensive timing perfected again. He will get him into cotto mode like that of old. The only thing he needs is a good punching style match up such as a come forward toe to toe fighter. Thats where cotto will really shine. He seems to be in the pacquiao boat, where they both need fights to shine again.

I would love to see a fight between cotto and James Kirkland since Kirkland is free. give his bum as 100 grand and let them fight on hbo, fuck it why not? i would have loved to see either of angulo or lara fight cotto and i was really hoping for that but maybe down the road.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 9 2013, 03:58 AM
Post #32

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

maybe when mayweather fights next cinco de mayo they could put cotto on the undercard agaisnt angulo or lara. puertor ico vs mexico is always good for boxing and that wouldbe a war plus it would make cotto some good green fighting on a mayweather card. he could also always fight canelo on a PPV as long as he wins his next fight. which i believe that is what golden boy is hoping for. i think top rank wishes for cotto to move up to middleweight and fight golovkin or something. i know they sparred at big bear and shit. i woukldnt mind seeing cotto fight martinez? they both could cash in their names before retiring and i think they would give us one hell of a fight with cotto stalking and martinez playing matador. good matchup IMO for two guys on their way out. do it on hbo with provodnikov vs alvarado. just my two cents.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jul 9 2013, 06:18 AM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 9 2013, 04:51 AM) *
it had nothing to do with his uncle evangelista, in fact they hated each other and created negativity in the camp which is never good. When cotto was with evangelista and winning all those fights it was because he was strong as shit and in his prime. cotto has always been his own boss, and has always only needed a trainer to get him in shape, not really teach him. cotto knows how to fight and is a very intelligent fighter, but it looks like he takes a beating because his facial features swell up and make him look a lot worse then it really is. He is a very clever fighter and he knows how to use his experience in the ring.

He would be a great test for canelo to go 12 rounds against IMO. I believe he would go the distance and give canelo a mayweather type of performance under roach. I believe roach will do for him much like he did for ruslan and get his ferociousness back and his aggressive ness and offensive timing perfected again. He will get him into cotto mode like that of old. The only thing he needs is a good punching style match up such as a come forward toe to toe fighter. Thats where cotto will really shine. He seems to be in the pacquiao boat, where they both need fights to shine again.

I would love to see a fight between cotto and James Kirkland since Kirkland is free. give his bum as 100 grand and let them fight on hbo, fuck it why not? i would have loved to see either of angulo or lara fight cotto and i was really hoping for that but maybe down the road.

I like the macthup, but I think a trained and focused Kirkland stops Cotto. In fact I dont even think Cotto is a top 5 Jr MW. I can immediately think of 5 dudes ahead of him in the pecking order, that will beat him right out of the box. I'm a Cotto fan and think he is a great guy for the sport and a great, legendary fighter.

The 5 are(since I mentioned it)
Trout
Canelo
Lara
Molina
Kirkland

There may be more, like Angulo, who I think Cotto may beat if they fought, but those 5 are guys Cotto shouldnt go near.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 9 2013, 08:03 AM
Post #34

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 9 2013, 06:18 AM) *
I like the macthup, but I think a trained and focused Kirkland stops Cotto. In fact I dont even think Cotto is a top 5 Jr MW. I can immediately think of 5 dudes ahead of him in the pecking order, that will beat him right out of the box. I'm a Cotto fan and think he is a great guy for the sport and a great, legendary fighter.

The 5 are(since I mentioned it)
Trout
Canelo
Lara
Molina
Kirkland

There may be more, like Angulo, who I think Cotto may beat if they fought, but those 5 are guys Cotto shouldnt go near.

Kirkland is and always will be nothing but a question mark. The guy can't take/avoid straight shots, Lara would knock him out. And I'm not sure molina could out box cotto, but Lara trout and canelo could definitely beat cotto. Shit maybe even Ishe

And molina and Lara are the type of guys nobody should go near lol

This post has been edited by checkleft: Jul 9 2013, 08:04 AM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 10 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #35

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Though I still don't get the idea of Miguel training with Roach, I will definitely be tuning in now since Terrence Crawford is fighting on the card

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jul 10 2013, 01:21 AM
Post #36

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

Cotto stay with different trainers

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jul 10 2013, 01:25 AM
Post #37

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 8 2013, 09:32 AM) *
I may be in the minority here, but Cotto's bad business moves have surpassed his defeats, and his slow demise is becoming harder and harder to watch.

We forgave him for the Margarito loss, okay. We forgave him for the shaky Clottey performance, okay. We forgave him for the Pacquiao loss, cool. We praised him for leaving Arum, and becoming his own boss, cool.

We forgave him for dropping his uncle, and picking up what's his nuts for the Pacquiao fight. We forgave him for leaving Manny Steward. We forgave him for the Floyd loss, because he looked great in his losing effort, cool.

For some God awful reason, he took the Trout fight...we gave him a hesitant round of applause for even signing for the fight, but we STILL cant figure out why he took it. He loses to Trout, and has to play second fiddle to Canelo, and NOW he goes to Roach and continues his "free agency" with Top Rank?!

I'm done with the forgiveness...

lmaoooooooooooo

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 10 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #38

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 8 2013, 10:42 PM) *
those habits seem to have been there all of his career to be honest. hes a left hooker, and they tend to lean on their front foot a lot, and cotto has always been a blocker. he has decent head movement, but its more for offense than defense. cotto does have very underrated defense, and im not talking pure physical defense such as blocking, slipping, rolling etc, im talking being able to predict whats coming and to assess his opponents offense. He did that well with floyd and was able to reduce floyds hit percentage to 25% which is pretty good considering floyd lands 41% for his career totals. he was also able to out box mosley using his defense also, not that that means anything now, im just saying he has defense. I think hes just lacked power in the 154 division. Thats why he has not been so successful in this weight. at 140 he could knock guys out and at 147 he could break guys down or at least keep them honest, but at 154 he cant get any respect, and he cant really hurt anyone either. Hes just in a lose lose situation from every angle in his career right now, so i think hes just cashing in on his name and retiring as another puerto rican legend along with trinidad, gomez and benitez.

he's 3-2 w/3ko's at 154. his two losses came against 2 very good undefeated boxers. his stoppages were against guys who were naturally bigger. i think he has respectful power at 154. he's pretty much done all he needed to do in his career. there's no shame to losing to floyd imo. he gave floyd the toughest fight of his career. (floyds words...not mine.) i think he has a few good fights left in him.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 10 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #39

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 9 2013, 01:15 AM) *
That's because cotto used to just eat the punches lol. He's never been able to slip

cotto has underrated defense imo. sure...he's been hurt a few times and stopped...but go back and watch some of his fights. up until about the 6th or 7th round with margarito...his defense was brilliant. he just couldn't keep it up...and they had the wrong game plan for that fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 10 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #40

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 9 2013, 04:51 AM) *

disagree with this part. cotto got away from some good stuff he was doing with his uncle. his uncle is a good trainer. when cotto left him, he had so many mistakes he was making and there was no one there to correct them. that's the reason he barely beat clottey. it's also the reason he got his ass served to him against pac. emmanuel steward (rip) did a great job of helping him return to his roots. i thought they were a very good match and it would have been great to see them do a few more fights together.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:47 AM