Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gennady Golovkin vs Martin Murray, fight is in talks
klonopinz
post Jul 21 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #1

Super Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,879

seems as though HBO has agreed to November 2 in New York for this fight, they are just working out the last details involving murrays us visa. What do yall think bout this fight? i think its a a good fight, i believe murray beat martinez, so its the next best thing for golovkin, because if he blows murray out, then theres no point in fighitng martinez, i think he should go for quillin if he wins. what you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jazz
post Jul 22 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Amateur

Member No.: 13,936

Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopins twice. Kelly Pavlik then beat Jermain Taylor twice. So, naturally, it was not a leap to think that Pavlik would easily defeat Hopkins. We all know what happened in that fight. There is a saying, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." Beating Martin Murray, who almost beat Martinez does not prove anything. Golovkin still needs to step in the ring with Martinez and/or Quillin to prove that he is the best at Middleweight. Beating guys who always finish second does not make you the winner.

This post has been edited by jazz: Jul 22 2013, 01:43 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 22 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

beating murray will be a statement and a good measuring stick to see where golovkin fits in the middleweight division. it's just a matter of time before he's the top dog.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Jul 22 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

GGG Taking over the game slowly but surely. He wants everyone and I commend Murray for stepping up when no one else would, Martinez and Quillen both don't seem to wanna step in the ring with GGG just yet. They're probably waiting to see a weakness exposed.

GGG vs Murray- really good fight and would be exciting, i hope it comes earlier than November. Murray has a really solid defense, his defense would able to nuetralize and brake down Martinez but idk if it would last up against GGG who has a better arsenal of punches than Martinez does. If Murray stands in front of GGG and be stablized so he doesnt get caught off balance, he could possibly be countering GGG . Anything can happen! I'm excited, I'm going with GGG but can't really bet against Murray.

Definitely best fighter for both fighters, whoever wins this is top at middleweight for me. Martinez lost to Murray and Quillen hasn't really proven himself as much and GGG, and when he actually gets the chance to fight him and prove his spot at 160 he turns it down, he don't want the top spot that bad.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 22 2013, 03:14 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 22 2013, 02:36 PM) *
Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopins twice. Kelly Pavlik then beat Jermain Taylor twice. So, naturally, it was not a leap to think that Pavlik would easily defeat Hopkins. We all know what happened in that fight. There is a saying, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." Beating Martin Murray, who almost beat Martinez does not prove anything. Golovkin still needs to step in the ring with Martinez and/or Quillin to prove that he is the best at Middleweight. Beating guys who always finish second does not make you the winner.

I agree with most of your post, especially with the whole triangle theory...never been a huge believer in it. However, GGG beating Murray does say something. Had Martinez officially beaten Murray, then I'd agree that it wouldn't do much for GGG's career.

As Professor mentioned, a Murray fight would be a good measuring stick for GGG, to see where he truly stands in the MW division. How else could we just judge his style and potential to fight Martinez, if they dont share common opponents? If GGG was just fighting bums, then he'd have no right to call out Martinez or Quillin, but if he trails behind them and destroys common opponents, then that would be a step in the right direction, or at least give him a leg to stand on.

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 22 2013, 03:39 PM) *
GGG Taking over the game slowly but surely. He wants everyone and I commend Murray for stepping up when no one else would, Martinez and Quillen both don't seem to wanna step in the ring with GGG just yet. They're probably waiting to see a weakness exposed.

Me thinks that they're either exclusively seeking money fights (as for Martinez and his advanced age), or they're looking for crossover fights (Quillin) that will boost their careers.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 22 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

It was odd how Martinez said he'd never ever given Martin a rematch because he was being dirty, but I never recalled any of that during the fight.

"He was like I expected. He had his chance but he was dirty, he hit me several times with his knee on purpose, knee against knee and donít believe he deserves a rematch. I will never give him a rematch."

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 22 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 22 2013, 05:52 PM) *
It was odd how Martinez said he'd never ever given Martin a rematch because he was being dirty, but I never recalled any of that during the fight.

"He was like I expected. He had his chance but he was dirty, he hit me several times with his knee on purpose, knee against knee and donít believe he deserves a rematch. I will never give him a rematch."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i missed that part of the interview. pathetic.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jul 22 2013, 10:54 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Funny because I think Martinez would beat GGG, based off what I seen.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 23 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 22 2013, 02:13 PM) *
beating murray will be a statement and a good measuring stick to see where golovkin fits in the middleweight division. it's just a matter of time before he's the top dog.

I agree, though the prospect of him in with Quillen and/or martinez is pretty exciting

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 23 2013, 05:25 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 22 2013, 01:36 PM) *

Very good post.
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 22 2013, 03:14 PM) *
I agree with most of your post, especially with the whole triangle theory...never been a huge believer in it. However, GGG beating Murray does say something. Had Martinez officially beaten Murray, then I'd agree that it wouldn't do much for GGG's career.

As Professor mentioned, a Murray fight would be a good measuring stick for GGG, to see where he truly stands in the MW division. How else could we just judge his style and potential to fight Martinez, if they dont share common opponents? If GGG was just fighting bums, then he'd have no right to call out Martinez or Quillin, but if he trails behind them and destroys common opponents, then that would be a step in the right direction, or at least give him a leg to stand on.

Me thinks that they're either exclusively seeking money fights (as for Martinez and his advanced age), or they're looking for crossover fights (Quillin) that will boost their careers.

Read my mind with the whole triangle theory thing and the martinez thing. Martinez takes tough fight after tough fight no matter how marketable his opposition is and he probably wants a money fight.

And as you said quillen is probably gonna let it either maronate or find someone to give him some exposure.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 05:22 AM