Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions on Zou Shiming
Gambit808
post Jul 25 2013, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

I never seen a guy headline a HBO card with only his second professional fight. Hell, I never seen a fighter being showcased with that amount of hype on only his first. This is all new to me, and to me, it would seem since HBO is expanding internationally, that they're putting a lot of bread in the future of the "Shiming dynasty" basket. Economically it seems smart, given the large Chinese population here in the states and around the world, but in the fight game, is it wise being that it's the Flyweight division, the most unpopular division in the sport? Or, unless his opponents share the same win/loss ratio as did Guierllemo Rigondeux's opponents did, how can we take the 31 year olds professional accomplishments seriously, given the unknown competition he faces thus far?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 25 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 25 2013, 07:24 AM) *
I never seen a guy headline a HBO card with only his second professional fight. Hell, I never seen a fighter being showcased with that amount of hype on only his first. This is all new to me, and to me, it would seem since HBO is expanding internationally, that they're putting a lot of bread in the future of the "Shiming dynasty" basket. Economically it seems smart, given the large Chinese population here in the states and around the world, but in the fight game, is it wise being that it's the Flyweight division, the most unpopular division in the sport? Or, unless his opponents share the same win/loss ratio as did Guierllemo Rigondeux's opponents did, how can we take the 31 year olds professional accomplishments seriously, given the unknown competition he faces thus far?

Two questions I have about Shiming: 1. Can he go 5 rounds 2. Will he ever leave China to fight.

The guy is average. I mean he wasn't impressive in his debut. But maybe it was butterflies who knows.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Jul 25 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

He got too excited in his first fight, gassed out after the 2nd round. I would have laughed at Arum if Zou got KOed. You know he's only there for that chinese demographic. After he will put him on some Pacquiao undercards and get that PPV$$ off him easy. Isn't he supposed to be on Pac's undercard? He's about to be 2-0 and he's already about to be on a PPV undercard, prepare for that alot next year too, he isn't going to be moving up in weight so he will be fighting no ones till maybe 7 wins since they want him to have a title shot soon. Honestly though, this seems to me like his 15 minutes to fame, unless he improved DRAMATICALLY from his first outing i think his first real contender will put him in his place...I want them to put him in with RIGO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Give the $$ and PPV undercards to someone who actually deserves it!

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jul 25 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

At this point Rigo would tear his ass up. Shiming's gonna be at fly weight for a while and is fighting half the rounds/half the talent of Rigo, so I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 25 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 25 2013, 12:22 PM) *
Two questions I have about Shiming: 1. Can he go 5 rounds 2. Will he ever leave China to fight.

The guy is average. I mean he wasn't impressive in his debut. But maybe it was butterflies who knows.

1. Chances are, he can.
2. If he keeps getting the buzz and paydays that's he's getting now, then chances are, he wont leave China.

I just dont like all of this extra attention that they're giving him, but now that I think about it, what better time to give him this type of exposure? When he has about 15-20 fights and nobody knows who his opponents are; or put him on the big screen for his pro debut?

If I had to pick, then I'd agree with what they're doing now...showing him from his debut. That way, when he is ready to fight top opposition (in-house of course), then nobody can ever fix their mouth to say that he's some unknown Asian hype job that came outta nowhere.

Again, it's hard to watch, but I cant really complain about what they're doing at the moment.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jul 25 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:26 PM) *
1. Chances are, he can.
2. If he keeps getting the buzz and paydays that's he's getting now, then chances are, he wont leave China.

I just dont like all of this extra attention that they're giving him, but now that I think about it, what better time to give him this type of exposure? When he has about 15-20 fights and nobody knows who his opponents are; or put him on the big screen for his pro debut?

If I had to pick, then I'd agree with what they're doing now...showing him from his debut. That way, when he is ready to fight top opposition (in-house of course), then nobody can ever fix their mouth to say that he's some unknown Asian hype job that came outta nowhere.

Again, it's hard to watch, but I cant really complain about what they're doing at the moment.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 25 2013, 11:24 AM) *

this is a prime example of hbo's hypocracy. shiming, in comparison to rigondeaux, is absolutely nothing special. they need to match this guy as carefully as possible to keep him going. i get that they want to tap into the chinese market because there is money to be had there....but if they think rigondeaux is boring, shiming shouldn't be on their airwaves. he does have 2 gold medals...those are not easy to come by. i don't know that his style and open hand slaps are going to transfer into the pro game. he's not really fast, but he can box some.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 01:18 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 25 2013, 12:58 PM) *
He got too excited in his first fight, gassed out after the 2nd round. I would have laughed at Arum if Zou got KOed. You know he's only there for that chinese demographic. After he will put him on some Pacquiao undercards and get that PPV$$ off him easy. Isn't he supposed to be on Pac's undercard? He's about to be 2-0 and he's already about to be on a PPV undercard, prepare for that alot next year too, he isn't going to be moving up in weight so he will be fighting no ones till maybe 7 wins since they want him to have a title shot soon. Honestly though, this seems to me like his 15 minutes to fame, unless he improved DRAMATICALLY from his first outing i think his first real contender will put him in his place...I want them to put him in with RIGO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Give the $$ and PPV undercards to someone who actually deserves it!

i am going to laugh my ass off when this guy loses to some no name guy and derails arums plans.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:26 PM) *
1. Chances are, he can.

miguel cotto was given a lot of exposure early on...but nothing like this.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 27 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

supposedly 300 million people tuned in to watch this guy fight? that can't be fucking true lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 06:34 AM