Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxing and Race, Is it Racism to cheer for your own? or Ethnic Pride
Jovi
post Jul 25 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Super Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,532

Well under the clouds we are all but one family (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

But before when it came to race I looked at the history of things me being Black and Puertorican, growing up and learning about slavery, all that craziness how most minorities were looked down upon as animals or even worse, and even the racism i still see now. When i was first exposed to sports especially combat sports I immediately would support the minority and think "Wow, look at us now". I would see Mayweather's total mastery of boxing, Ali how he was more than a boxer but truly a great man in and outside the ring, and now my dude Jon Jones taking over MMA. Minorities truly dedicated to their craft and showing how even though everything happened before we can still be strong, we have to learn from the past and carry ourselves the right way to actually be respected.

I would root for them because i can relate not only by skin color but to how they feel, what they say, how they fight and why they fight...Typical thoughts of a young man looking for the right path and right role models i guess.

Now because I also train I look at Boxing or MMA under the broad subject of Martial Arts, I just appreciate the skills and technique, the skill is in the beholder regardless of race, age, even gender........ Thanks to Kung fu movies i always thought asians were superior in all fighting styles. I'm still intimidated of the smallest asian dude just because you never know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Jovi: Jul 25 2013, 07:42 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Man I'll put Philly fans right up there with English soccer fans. They always go for broke, and are more than willing to exchange blows if you either talk bad about their team or if their team is losing. Lol

raiders and dodger fans are stabbing ppl.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 25 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Well under the clouds we are all but one family (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

But before when it came to race I looked at the history of things me being Black and Puertorican, growing up and learning about slavery, all that craziness how most minorities were looked down upon as animals or even worse, and even the racism i still see now. When i was first exposed to sports especially combat sports I immediately would support the minority and think "Wow, look at us now". I would see Mayweather's total mastery of boxing, Ali how he was more than a boxer but truly a great man in and outside the ring, and now my dude Jon Jones taking over MMA. Minorities truly dedicated to their craft and showing how even though everything happened before we can still be strong, we have to learn from the past and carry ourselves the right way to actually be respected.

I would root for them because i can relate not only by skin color but to how they feel, what they say, how they fight and why they fight...Typical thoughts of a young man looking for the right path and right role models i guess.

Now because I also train I look at Boxing or MMA under the broad subject of Martial Arts, I just appreciate the skills and technique, the skill is in the beholder regardless of race, age, even gender........ Thanks to Kung fu movies i always thought asians were superior in all fighting styles. I'm still intimidated of the smallest asian dude just because you never know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

that's the power of the media. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 25 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

I'm no racist or bigot so really I have no problem with someone cheering for someone from their own country/representing their heritage, I don't find it racial but when someone begins to hurl racial epithets then there is a problem or when one starts to boo the other's national anthems or whatnot then that is racial on a nationalist level.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 25 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I don't see a problem with it, most people are prideful of their race and do that. As long as it doesn't cross the line and I've been to some fights where it's gotten pretty ridiculous. Me personally, you could be blue and I wouldn't give a damn, as long as the boxer is talented I'm going to root for them. The ones who I root for the most are the Mayweather's, the Tyson's and the Hopkins' like fighters not because I'm black but because they remind me of certain qualities that I have and certain things I can relate to. Plus they get a lot of unnecessary heat from ignorant fans so I try to balance it out and rally for them..but aint nothing wrong with a fan rooting for a fellow countrymen, I think it's pretty cool actually

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 25 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #16

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 25 2013, 10:26 PM) *
I don't see a problem with it, most people are prideful of their race and do that. As long as it doesn't cross the line and I've been to some fights where it's gotten pretty ridiculous. Me personally, you could be blue and I wouldn't give a damn, as long as the boxer is talented I'm going to root for them. The ones who I root for the most are the Mayweather's, the Tyson's and the Hopkins' like fighters not because I'm black but because they remind me of certain qualities that I have and certain things I can relate to. Plus they get a lot of unnecessary heat from ignorant fans so I try to balance it out and rally for them..but aint nothing wrong with a fan rooting for a fellow countrymen, I think it's pretty cool actually

i def agree, and am quite jealous of the unity between other nations when they back their guys so hard. like pacman and the philipines, mexico and chavez, etc etc, but i understand why america isnt like that with american athletes, its because of our past with immigration and racism and slavery, weve all been through so many ups and downs, and not jsut blacks, because their were slaves of all races, especially white europeans throughout the roman empire as well. and america is so divided we still have these lingering traces of hate and division in our roots. But each new generation is growing up together and becoming unified evermore, if that werent true, obama would have never made it to the white house. Were on a path to a new sense of country, and i think one day we will shit on the mexico's and the china's and back our guys hard like they should be backed.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 25 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 25 2013, 06:36 PM) *
I'm no racist or bigot so really I have no problem with someone cheering for someone from their own country/representing their heritage, I don't find it racial but when someone begins to hurl racial epithets then there is a problem or when one starts to boo the other's national anthems or whatnot then that is racial on a nationalist level.

I agree. You should of been at the Bradley and Ruslan fight. Those Mexican fans were ridiculous, I was like dude come on. That shit was pissing me off!

I cheer good boxers. Of course my favorite boxer is Mayweather. Love his work ethic and his hustle. But these other guys are really impressing me. I really like Mikey Garcia and the Charlo twins. And that Arias (Cuban cat under Mayweather promotions) is going to be a damn star!

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 25 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 09:35 PM) *
i def agree, and am quite jealous of the unity between other nations when they back their guys so hard. like pacman and the philipines, mexico and chavez, etc etc, but i understand why america isnt like that with american athletes, its because of our past with immigration and racism and slavery, weve all been through so many ups and downs, and not jsut blacks, because their were slaves of all races, especially white europeans throughout the roman empire as well. and america is so divided we still have these lingering traces of hate and division in our roots. But each new generation is growing up together and becoming unified evermore, if that werent true, obama would have never made it to the white house. Were on a path to a new sense of country, and i think one day we will shit on the mexico's and the china's and back our guys hard like they should be backed.

That is so true, well said. It's too much history of divisiveness and hate here, I will say Americans show lots of promise in the face of adversity. Like when there are traumatic events we band together but we need to show more solidarity just cuz not just when it's some horrible happening. As it is right now, with that Zimmerman verdict, I can agree with Gaushea who said he'd never wear the USA colors again, some others have came out and said the same. But more and more as the years grow there's progress with race relations and us coming together as a whole. Boxing brings out some nasty habits in some people, I was seated in an area where these white guys were rooting for mayweather because Guerrero was Mexican, how stupid is that

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 26 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 07:13 PM) *
everytime im at an eagles game when im walking through the parking lot drunk about to walk into the link, i spit on all the cars who have opposing team stickers, i mean straight loogies point blank. if you got a opposing jersey your getting shit on verbally at least, if not me throwing a water bottle at the back of your fuckin head. shit is real homie. dont fuckin play wit us

See what I mean???

Philly fans are raised by wolves, I tell ya!

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 25 2013, 08:32 PM) *
I'm Mexican and other than marquez I don't like very many Mexican fighters... But I'm really into the sport so I guess its different for me or something

Same here, well Im balck of course, but I enjoy watching Mexicans fight. I love the Mexican National Anthem. I love Mexican food. Looks like I need to have a talk with my mom, to be sure that Im not part Mexican...some serious questions need to be asked here! Lol

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 25 2013, 08:58 PM) *
raiders and dodger fans are stabbing ppl.

Damn, I didn't know Dodgers fans were that bad. As for Raiders fans...no surprise there. Lol

+Quote Post
post Jul 26 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Amateur

Member No.: 13,963

I cheer for fighters that represent my culture, not my race. I like guys that are respectful, humble, and that honor their opponents. I am white, but I'll cheer on whatever fighter best reflects the qualities I admire.

Thug culture and white trash culture are basically the opposite of my culture, so I often find myself rooting for the guy outside of my own country, which I find troubling.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 05:37 AM