IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Berto Should Retire Now, Do you agree??
BigFightFan
post Jul 29 2013, 05:04 AM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

Berto should give it one last run, drop his competition level and build up to a big fight. If he loses then retire.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jul 29 2013, 07:47 AM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

He shouldn't retire. He should stop fighting guys with actual boxing skills. Go fight some of them bums on Top Rank who love to get hit. He'll be right back in the lime light lol.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 29 2013, 09:49 AM
Post #13

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 29 2013, 07:47 AM) *
He shouldn't retire. He should stop fighting guys with actual boxing skills. Go fight some of them bums on Top Rank who love to get hit. He'll be right back in the lime light lol.

Maybe he shouldn't retire but he's definitely not going to be able to beat any of the top tiered fighters getting hit as much as he does and he swells easily now. Thanks for whoever made the correction on the Hill-Hunter thing, sometimes you have boxing on the brain so badly you tend to mix up names easily.

I couldn't see any improvements Hunter made and some people credit Berto's shoulder fail for the victory that Soto Karass took but let's be honest here; Soto Karass is one of the easiest fighters in the sport to hit and hit cleanly, he's somewhat slow and methodical and should've been easy pickings for Andre, he doesn't give angles, set traps and his defense is about as good as Brandon Rios'.

So why is it that Berto was unable to win and let alone put this easy to hit fighter away? IMHO, it is because Berto is a shot fighter....anyone he faces from this point out (even Bums) will bust him up and it won't be long before the swelling/scar tissue puffs out much in the way Gatti's skin used to do (soon as you hit him he scarred or cut and started bleeding).

Berto has made enough money to survive outside of the ring, he doesn't need boxing...he will be punchy before long because you can't keep taking beatings like that and not have some sustained damage. If he were my fighter I'd retire him for the sake of saving him from himself.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: Jul 29 2013, 09:50 AM

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jul 29 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

He should just retired. He's taken enough punishment and has not improved at all, in fact looks worse. He's got heart and determination to be great, but he just doesn't have the talent for this sport. With the amount of money and fame he's received so far, he should try a different career path, maybe Football or Acting.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 29 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Blame it on his manager and promoter, for putting him in there with tomato can after tomato can. As soon as his competition stepped up to a B-level, he started looking like crap. Sadly, all people will remember, is him looking impressive en route to KO'ing bums.

Too bad, he will HAVE TO fight above his comfort level. Seriously though, if Khan's bout with Molina, was made into this "event", then surely they can give Berto a confidence building fight. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's done, but his 3 losses have left crazy blueprints...just get him in trouble, and he'll anxiously tread water for the whole fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 29 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

virgil hunter is just what the doctor ordered. he has a growing stable of guys that need to be rebuilt and they can all help each other do so. the main thing that needs to happen in my opinion is that berto needs to fly under the radar and retool. just like khan and angulo, the changes he needs to make are not going to occur during a single camp. they need to be reinforced with time and repetition. to berto's credit...he actually had the shoulder roll right this time. it was a huge improvement from what he did last time out. he just needed to alternate and give soto-karass different looks. his confidence has taken a major shot with the 3 consecutive losses...but that can change with the right opposition, time and daily effort to make the necessary changes. i think he has a lot left.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 29 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 29 2013, 02:25 PM) *
Blame it on his manager and promoter, for putting him in there with tomato can after tomato can. As soon as his competition stepped up to a B-level, he started looking like crap. Sadly, all people will remember, is him looking impressive en route to KO'ing bums.

Too bad, he will HAVE TO fight above his comfort level. Seriously though, if Khan's bout with Molina, was made into this "event", then surely they can give Berto a confidence building fight. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's done, but his 3 losses have left crazy blueprints...just get him in trouble, and he'll anxiously tread water for the whole fight.

berto has been in with some very good opposition.

i think it's a combination of his old trainer and his management for matching him tough when they should have been trying to rebuild him.

after the ortiz fight he fought and beat an undefeated zavek. he looked like shit in that bout...but he got the win. then he went on to fight guerrero. bad move imo. i knew he would lose that one. i also knew that his old trainer wasn't consistent enough with what he does to give berto the things he needed. you could see it in every fight and hear it in the corner. berto was a fighter without a style or understanding of his capabilities. he lacked identity. he will get that identity with hunter if he sticks with him. they need to lower the level of competition to rebuild him so that all the changes will have a chance to stick. that fight was a very winnable fight for him. the fight was even on the cards at the point he got stopped. there's no shame in losing to karass. he's a solid fighter who will give anyone a hard time.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Jul 29 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (sduck @ Jul 29 2013, 01:30 PM) *
He should just retired. He's taken enough punishment and has not improved at all, in fact looks worse. He's got heart and determination to be great, but he just doesn't have the talent for this sport. With the amount of money and fame he's received so far, he should try a different career path, maybe Football or Acting.

Football really? How in the hell will he make any professional football team?

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jul 29 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #19

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 29 2013, 06:28 PM) *
Football really? How in the hell will he make any professional football team?

He has the physique to be one, maybe not the height. I was just throwing it out there. He needs a different career somewhere; it would be easier for him to get another career because of the fame and money that he has now.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 29 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #20

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jul 28 2013, 08:08 PM) *
I'm assuming you meant Virgil Hunter. Virgil Hill is a former Light Heavyweight & Cruiserweight World Champion that was just recently inducted into the Boxing Hall Of Fame.

hahah everybody is calling him virgil hill. i think if you go back and watch the berto that fought quintana and collazo, to the berto you see now trying that bullshit imitation of floyd with his elbow out and is hands down. to see him trying to fight backing up and just getting tagged up like a fool, it makes me sick. he used to fight with a high guard and using his jab to constantly measure his opponents reach and his own distance, waiting to unleash his explosive super fast right hand. that was an effective puncher. he had such crazy ass explosiveness, and his power was nice, he also had great killer instincts, when he thought you were hurt he mauled the shit outta you. ever since that berto loss, he questioned himself and changed his style into one he isnt comfortable with. it shows in his fights. hes never had great defense, in fact his defense has always been to fight fire with fire, and it usually worked most of the time because he was so dangerois in exchanges.

i honestly dont know what the fuck to even think about him anymore, hes gotten so much worse with every passing fight. soto karass was just asking to be pot shotted the fuck up all night. berto could have made easy work of him if he had just taken his time and avoided the body shots while using some movement and smoking him with fast ass right hands. the kid still has crazy speed and pop. but he just lost his focus and his poise, hes so sloppy in their now, and its llike he doesnt think anymore, like hes just fighting with pure physicality.

and like i said before, you can put virgil hunter with a fighter, but it aint gonna fix shit, virgil hunter is a great trainer, but hes not a good match with a guy like berto or khan, these are pure offensive fighters who have offensive mindsets and are naturally aggressive, virgil hunter is the worst thing you can give these guys because it goes against the nature of the way they fight instinctively. Virgil hunter is a master tactician, and he needs to be matched up with fighters who approach a fight that way and box accordingly. virgil aint gonna turn down that paper tho, and i dont blame him, mans gotta make a living.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:25 PM