IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everybody Hating on Floyd, Is it that time of the month??
daprofessor
post Jul 31 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #81

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 31 2013, 02:50 PM) *
You gon have to catch him first lol

he chubby. shouldn't be to hard.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 31 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #82

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 31 2013, 01:40 PM) *
i agree with most of what you're saying here. i don't agree that the klitschkos would have survived the era when tyson, holyfield and bowe were in their primes. i think all three would have demolished the best versions of the klitschkos. the thing about comparisons like those is that their eras overlap. when i speak on the fab 4 and what they've accomplished.....that really wasn't that long ago and i don't know that the "advancements" of athletes and boxers today are that much different. fighters now a days can barely go 12 rounds. those cats were doing 15 on the regular. go back and study some of those guys. they were highly skilled athletes.

when the eras are separated by plenty of years....you can point to style advancements and such because guys like dempsey and marciano wouldn't stand a chance today. but you also have to consider that certain fighters paved the way for others stylistically speaking. there would be no ali, leonard, jones jr or floyd without robinson. all of their styles were born from his...and they've all made improvements one way or another to his style.

I agree with most of what you said, but the advancement of the athlete is visible, the 4 kings era wasn't that long ago but the landscape of boxing and sports in general has changed dramatically, hell it was different in the 90's. If you look at things in a 10yr cycle you can see how the game changes. There's no guarantee that they could be dominate in this era. It's just like that and the same thing can be said for Mayweather Jr.

I just believe that the great ones can hold their own in any era. True they went 15 back then but whose to say they can go 12 today with bigger, quicker, and more athletic prototypes of themselves. That's something to consider... they were highly skilled athletes but history speaks for itself, it's dudes who may not be as talented naturally as them but are more athletic then them today ....im actually studying past fighters now as we speak, in watching SRR, in just did Marciano last night, might try to get some more knowledge on Carmen Basillio, dude was a beast.

Boxing is unique in its own way we know this but it ain't immune or unique to the changes in dynamics, the NBA for example these dudes today can't shoot jumpers for shit but they're more athletic and quicker and stronger then the cats that played in the Jordan era, that's just how the cycle goes in sports. And I agree Wlad and Vitali wouldn't get past Iron Mike but I think they can hang in that era

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 31 2013, 02:25 PM
Post #83

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 31 2013, 01:54 PM) *
i haven't had braids since '04-'05. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

my shit is long but i'm about to shave it bald and go back to fades. gotta switch it up...

Man I had twists in about 2000, 2001. And I used to love no limit music. All the girls used to love Silk da shocker, when I got my twists I was hoping for the same outcome but looking back on it, it was bad idea. I was at a gym in Mississippi and these dudes kept calling me da ice cream man, I didn't know what they meant until I put it together, my only get back was that my squad beat his squad, I took them shots out soon after that lol

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 31 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #84

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 31 2013, 12:21 AM) *
i'm not saying duran is not to blame. ignorance is not an excuse...but leonard always looked for advantages outside the ring. it's the same bullshit with pacquiao's run. he doesn't even enter the discussion imo because of all the bullshit stipulations in his bouts.

Leonard always is, and that's why probably why am biased as shit against him. I can't seem him as best of the 4

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Jul 31 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #85

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 30 2013, 03:29 PM) *
What? Lol
I hope your not comparing canelo and haglar Haha

the cotto fight couldn't have happened because of promotional disputes, you know this professor. When they were trying to put Floyd against cotto under TR they gave Floyd Henry as a measuring stick and he got demolished. Then they kept cotto away from Floyd

Pwill could be compared to tommy size wise but Paul never fought tall he always got sucked into brawling

I would have loved to see how a guy like pwill would have turned out with a trainer like Emmanuel who was in the business of training tall linky fighters

The Gatti fight as well. You could see Cotto & Hatton in the crowd. Oh yeah, Dan "Donuts" Rafael was there sitting behind Cotto. Check around the 13 second mark of the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JH0zHZmjCI

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 31 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #86

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 31 2013, 03:12 PM) *
I agree with most of what you said, but the advancement of the athlete is visible, the 4 kings era wasn't that long ago but the landscape of boxing and sports in general has changed dramatically, hell it was different in the 90's. If you look at things in a 10yr cycle you can see how the game changes. There's no guarantee that they could be dominate in this era. It's just like that and the same thing can be said for Mayweather Jr.

I just believe that the great ones can hold their own in any era. True they went 15 back then but whose to say they can go 12 today with bigger, quicker, and more athletic prototypes of themselves. That's something to consider... they were highly skilled athletes but history speaks for itself, it's dudes who may not be as talented naturally as them but are more athletic then them today ....im actually studying past fighters now as we speak, in watching SRR, in just did Marciano last night, might try to get some more knowledge on Carmen Basillio, dude was a beast.

Boxing is unique in its own way we know this but it ain't immune or unique to the changes in dynamics, the NBA for example these dudes today can't shoot jumpers for shit but they're more athletic and quicker and stronger then the cats that played in the Jordan era, that's just how the cycle goes in sports. And I agree Wlad and Vitali wouldn't get past Iron Mike but I think they can hang in that era

i can't speak on basketball because i don't follow the game the way i used to. but from a casual observers eyes.....i can think of maybe 2-3 guys currently that might be as athletic as jordan. in jordans' time....there were a couple just as athletic...but not as skilled. all around....again....from a casual observers eye....i would think they were much more technically sound back then. doesn't mean the games better now. they(jordans' era players) would take the most athletic team around today...and turn that shit into a half court game.

i encourage you to keep studying and it will help you put things in perspective. i can tell you that just because there has been advancements....it doesn't mean they were all good....or bad for that matter. they're just different. i agree...floyd is an atg. he can compete in any era. i have said before....and i'll say it again....he is probably the most skilled boxer ever. i have a dvd fight collection that includes career sets of just about everyone you can think of that is/was considered outstanding. i've studied them all...and i continue to study, daily. i used to feel the same way when i had old timers telling me a lot of the same stuff i'm trying to tell you guys. i used to feel the exact same way. "these old ass muhfuckas don't know what they're talking about." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) then i stopped listening as someone ready to argue a point and started listening as someone who wanted to be enlightened. when that happened....i started to hear some amazing things.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 31 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #87

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 31 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Man I had twists in about 2000, 2001. And I used to love no limit music. All the girls used to love Silk da shocker, when I got my twists I was hoping for the same outcome but looking back on it, it was bad idea. I was at a gym in Mississippi and these dudes kept calling me da ice cream man, I didn't know what they meant until I put it together, my only get back was that my squad beat his squad, I took them shots out soon after that lol

the ice scream man....aka big perm....aka big worm? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 31 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #88

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 29 2013, 08:48 PM) *
i've watched all of the careers....beginning to end....

i understand styles and how they mesh.

floyd has NEVER fought anyone on the level of duran, leonard, hearns or hagler.

the duran that beat leonard would give floyd all he could handle. i'd favor duran.

the leonard that beat hearns would beat floyd. no doubt in my mind.

hell...the hearns that loss to leonard would beat floyd.

floyd would never get in the same ring with a hagler at middleweight. now...i'm not saying he has too...or he should...but duran did and gave a great account of himself. duran for all his brilliance and short comings had king kong balls.

leonard is entitled to his opinion...and making a statement like "yes, he can compete with any era" is nice talk, but the truth is....floyd would never fight a marvin hagler at middleweight. there are no marvin haglers today. the closest thing we have is ggg and i would bet my left nut floyd would never fight the dude. those guys were cut from a different cloth.

1. Sure SRL is entitled to his opinion (btw which I value way more than yours) just as you are but yours carry little weight vs his and your post is full of speculation about what WOULD'VE happened or what Floyd WOULD NOT HAVE Done, so just because you state it then you ASSume that it is right?? (rhetorical)

BS-people say that Floyd would've never fought Oscar, never fought Shane and never fought Pac (even though this hasn't happened yet, it isn't Money's fault) so for you again to ASSume that Floyd would never fight Hagler is another one your opinions which carry NO weight at all. Remember opinions are just like elbows, everybody got em.

I believe Hearns would've beaten Floyd but I can't say for sure that he DOES beat Floyd no more than you can say that he DOES beat Floyd either.

I get tired of all the stacking (era vs era) crap comparisons people make as if those guys all had superior boxing skills, defense and conditioning and never got hit or beaten, it's all conjecture to ASSume that any fighter from any era absolutely wins vs any fighter of this era simply because of what they were able to do to fighters of their generation.

Just like you, I grew up watching all of their careers and I saw many flaws that could've been exploited by a master boxing technician like Floyd so I won't necessarily go as far as saying that this guy DOES win or this guy WON"T fight this guy simply because what I think.

You should try wrapping your brain around the idea that you made some statements here that you seemingly come off as superior over SRL (a man who has been in the ring with the best) when you haven't been in the ring with any of those guys and he has but then you kick his opinion down simply because you "feel" more strongly about this or that.

I'd bet everyone here would be more willing to accept SRL's opinion over anything you say period!!

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 31 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #89

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 31 2013, 07:18 PM) *
i can't speak on basketball because i don't follow the game the way i used to. but from a casual observers eyes.....i can think of maybe 2-3 guys currently that might be as athletic as jordan. in jordans' time....there were a couple just as athletic...but not as skilled. all around....again....from a casual observers eye....i would think they were much more technically sound back then. doesn't mean the games better now. they(jordans' era players) would take the most athletic team around today...and turn that shit into a half court game.

i encourage you to keep studying and it will help you put things in perspective. i can tell you that just because there has been advancements....it doesn't mean they were all good....or bad for that matter. they're just different. i agree...floyd is an atg. he can compete in any era. i have said before....and i'll say it again....he is probably the most skilled boxer ever. i have a dvd fight collection that includes career sets of just about everyone you can think of that is/was considered outstanding. i've studied them all...and i continue to study, daily. i used to feel the same way when i had old timers telling me a lot of the same stuff i'm trying to tell you guys. i used to feel the exact same way. "these old ass muhfuckas don't know what they're talking about." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) then i stopped listening as someone ready to argue a point and started listening as someone who wanted to be enlightened. when that happened....i started to hear some amazing things.

Where'd you get them? I be trying to find some sets online but I don't trust alot of those sites because I don't know if they're legit or not.

Oh ain't nobody going at Jordan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm no fool! And I still regard Pippen as the best SF, even over Lebron because homie can't shoot a jumper to save his life. But you raise an interesting point, just because the athletes today are more athletic and quicker doesn't automatically give them an advantage of the old school guys and the old school guys don't have an advantage over the new schoolers

Some old schoolers give off that drunken uncle at the family reunion vibe, just because you fought in Vietnam don't got nothing to do with me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 31 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #90

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 31 2013, 07:20 PM) *
the ice scream man....aka big perm....aka big worm? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Nah, they was reffering to me like Master P, he had an album called the ice cream man and it took me a minute to catch up on the insult lol..no big worm was pimped out, I don't think I could ever pull of that look

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 03:29 AM