IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> andy ruiz vs deontay wilder, who takes it?
daprofessor
post Aug 13 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

just curious to see what you guys think. i believe these 2 guys are the premier heavyweights in the u.s. the other guys are still on the come up. i don't think jennings, mitchell or arreolla stand a chance against either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ROME
post Aug 15 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 1,535

I just can't see this guy going beyond Chris Areola's level. IMO this kid is actually Chris Areola lite lol
He's got some quickness and some punching power but that's about it. He's seemingly so easy to hit that I think he'll be one of those heavyweights that, IF he reaches championship level, comes forward and takes an enormous amount of punishment and just keeps coming until the fight is eventually stopped; much like Areola. If he's in that kind of shape now while he's young, I'm quite certain it won't get any easier to get in better shape as he gets older. The other thing is the 74" reach. I believe that's the same as Shane Mosley's; relatively short for a heavyweight. This kid is no Mike Tyson so it's not like he has incredible foot speed to compensate for his lack of reach. As he moves up in rank, this will likely be a problem. I feel he's destined to have a Samuel Peter-type career.

This post has been edited by ROME: Aug 15 2013, 12:52 AM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 15 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (ROME @ Aug 15 2013, 12:51 AM) *
I just can't see this guy going beyond Chris Areola's level. IMO this kid is actually Chris Areola lite lol
He's got some quickness and some punching power but that's about it. He's seemingly so easy to hit that I think he'll be one of those heavyweights that, IF he reaches championship level, comes forward and takes an enormous amount of punishment and just keeps coming until the fight is eventually stopped; much like Areola. If he's in that kind of shape now while he's young, I'm quite certain it won't get any easier to get in better shape as he gets older. The other thing is the 74" reach. I believe that's the same as Shane Mosley's; relatively short for a heavyweight. This kid is no Mike Tyson so it's not like he has incredible foot speed to compensate for his lack of reach. As he moves up in rank, this will likely be a problem. I feel he's destined to have a Samuel Peter-type career.

aside from being chubby and mexican...there is nothing similar in ruiz and arreolla. arreolla was a guy who used to box as a kid, took a long break and came back to the sport at a late age. ruiz has been boxing since he was a kid and has a pretty solid amateur background. he has better hand and foot speed, better defense, better punch selection and more pop in his shots than arreolla. he's not a one trick pony....and contrary to his appearance, this kid can fight and take his punch with him well into the late rounds. sam peter was slow and relied on his big punching and didn't have half the skill that ruiz has. his reach or lack thereof hasn't been an issue yet...and i can't see it being one in the future because this kid knows how to close distance properly and doesn't eat flush shots to the face the way arreolla does to get in there. i'd go so far as to say that if ruiz fought either klitschko today....he's got an actual shot at beating them. arreolla never had a chance imo. he's lazy and doesn't know how to make the adjustments.

+Quote Post
ROME
post Aug 16 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #4

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 1,535

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 15 2013, 04:32 PM) *
aside from being chubby and mexican...there is nothing similar in ruiz and arreolla. arreolla was a guy who used to box as a kid, took a long break and came back to the sport at a late age. ruiz has been boxing since he was a kid and has a pretty solid amateur background. he has better hand and foot speed, better defense, better punch selection and more pop in his shots than arreolla. he's not a one trick pony....and contrary to his appearance, this kid can fight and take his punch with him well into the late rounds. sam peter was slow and relied on his big punching and didn't have half the skill that ruiz has. his reach or lack thereof hasn't been an issue yet...and i can't see it being one in the future because this kid knows how to close distance properly and doesn't eat flush shots to the face the way arreolla does to get in there. i'd go so far as to say that if ruiz fought either klitschko today....he's got an actual shot at beating them. arreolla never had a chance imo. he's lazy and doesn't know how to make the adjustments.

Good points. I'm only going off of the three fights I saw him in; none of which required him to make any noticeable adjustments from what I recall. I still see similarities to Chris Areola; namely his aggressiveness, his combination punching, his inside fighting ability, and his perceived ability to take a punch (though we haven't seen him in there against to big puncher yet). They both have a gritty style of fighting from what I've seen as well. The reason I compare him to Samuel is primarily because they're roughly the same height and weight, both have sturdy chins (Peter earlier in his career), neither has quick feet, but both have decent handspeed; Ruiz being the quicker of the two. Samuel Peter, for his size, had deceptively quick hands and very good power. Now THEY had different fighting styles. I suppose I'll have to see more of this Ruiz kid before I can make a complete and fair assessment, but from what I saw, I'm not any more excited a out him than I was about Ruslan Chagaev or Sultan Ibragimov (or Chris Areola). Joe Hanks was able to find him with flush shots anytime he decided not to be afraid to punch. I'm not sure who that says more about between the two of them as I haven't seen much of either, but as Ruiz seems to be the rising star, we'll have to wait and see how he develops. As for him having a shot at beating the Klitschkos today, barring a punchers chance (which, at heavyweight, is almost every mans chance), I can't see that fight boding well for him at this point in his young career, though I could be wrong.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:38 PM