IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alverez will not break Mayweather-De La Hoya PPV record, But it will be the closes
Gambit808
post Sep 1 2013, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

No doubt about it, that this may be the biggest fight since Mayweather-De La Hoya, and I was optimistic about this fight at the beginning but now, I'm not too sold on this fight breaking boxings all time PPV record. For one, it being showcased on Showtime and two, the build up on All Access doesen't seem to match what HBO's 24/7 did then. IMHO, All Access has been a good little piece to watch leading up to 9/14, but is it me, or does it not even come close to matching the Magic of Mayweather-De La Hoya lead up on 24/7? Two guys who generally had bad blood between one another that even shows to this day, with Mayweather's father stepping down from training Oscar for the fight, to Mayweather jr. whole bravado being able to connect just as much, if not even more than the cash cow and the fact that it was I think the FIRST show to give an in depth look at fighters lives and training camp and sort of gave boxing it's first reality series and new look. It was as if the stars and planets all aligned to make it as big as it was... And here we are now, new show, same format, Floyd being Floyd, and Canelo though he poses a great threat in this fight and has the looks to be a star, his aura doesn't outshine Mayweather's and he's still learning English to appeal to the U.S.A. audience. It just all seems to me, something that I've seen before in a fighter being built against Floyd. Now if something dramatic were to happen in this fight that would warrant a rematch, then I wouldn't even argue with the rematch doing numbers bigger than Mayweather-De La Hoya. It would be HUGE double time.

What do u guys on here think?

I also feel if maybe the Garcia-Matthysse had a show or piece behind it to better Promote it than just the fact that it's happening as a co feature, then I think that would help boost the numbers a bit more than it already has, with the "Hate em or Love em" attitude of Angel Garcia's real talk. So far I've hed crickets over there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 1 2013, 01:22 PM
Post #2

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I don't think it's going to break the PPV record either but if they were to have a rematch I believe it would

They do need to push the Co featured bout more too. That's a big fight that commands attention by itself.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Sep 1 2013, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

I dont think anyfight will break that record for awhile. Only Mayweather/Pacquiao, and it has to be out of the country to reach a bigger demographic. Now with the ease of streaming ppv fights for free, the same reasons why record sales have gone down from before. As many mexicans fans that Canelo has, i doubt they will all separately buy a 60-70$ ppv. Our country is economically better (I hope) and even American fans aint doing that. I honestly dont even see it going past 2 million buys. I think 2 mill is maximum. The pre fight buildup to me seems like who will take the crown at the top, Mayweather took it from a mexican before and now a mexican who will seem to be the new cashcow has a chance to take it back. Hopefully Mayweather don't get TOO cocky

Matthysse vs Garcia should deff have their own all access show. I'd be more interested in that than Mayweather and Canelo who i have both seen before so its nothing really new. But Matthysse vs Garcia is very interesting, Shotime not having anything for this fight only hurts them.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Sep 1 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Jovi @ Sep 1 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Only Mayweather/Pacquiao, and it has to be out of the country to reach a bigger demographic.

Please...not this fight again...

It won't be a PPV record - Canelo is boring. Simple as that. All Floyd's opponents were during 24/7s and All Access but Oscar and The Hitman - who was the best entertainer. Alvarez is Mexican and thats the biggest thing about him PPV wise. Other than that, it's always the same. "I gotta do this, I gotta do that"....and as Floyd himself put it in ODLH 24/7 "You ain't gonna do shit".

These shows need to bring a new spark into them. Floyd won't surprise anyone, his opponents won't surprise anyone. The rhetoric is always the same.

De la Hoya vs. Mayweather was the first show of that kind. The fact of it being first and having two ego driven "Dudes with Attitudes" in it is what's made the show and the fight special.

In a way, this is the answer to the other thread: Mayweather loss would reshape boxing and in that sense, it would do the sport only good. Not gonna happen though.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Sep 2 2013, 05:02 AM

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Sep 1 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Mayweather vs DLH 24/7 was ground breaking shit at the time. Now its old news. How many times can we see Floyds opponent say, "Im gonna beat Mayweather. Mayweathers time is over. Its my time." Blah blah blah. Until somebody knocks Floyd off people arent gonna be believing that shit.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 1 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I think it will crack two million. The common fan is interested and the hardcore fans are there. I think the CBS beef with Time Warner is hurting possible sales. But we will see. ESPN keeps showing commercials for The One. It may not break the record but it will be highly successful. Showtime will gets its money back. Plus, the undercard is no joke. I would pay to see Danny and Lucas fight any day of the week. It is a great card all around so who knows but I know Vegas is buzzing like a bee. 13 more days!

+Quote Post
jazz
post Sep 1 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Amateur

Member No.: 13,936

I don't think it will break the Mayweather/De La Hoya record. However, that is not because it is on Showtime. The second biggest selling fight of all time Holyfield/Tyson II (1.99 million PPV buys) was on Showtime and they didn't have a promo show like 24/7 or All Access to hype the fight. I think it won't break the record because Alvarez is not as big of a star as Oscar. Both Mayweather and Oscar had proven records against top quality competition at several weight classes when they fought. Alvarez has proven nothing except that he can beat a decent fighter (Trout) in a state (Texas) where the result was practically predetermined. Mayweather is the selling point in this fight. He will account for 1.5 million PPV sales. Alvarez and Matthysse/Garcia will account for a combined 300,000 for a total of 1.8 million PPV buys.

This post has been edited by jazz: Sep 1 2013, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Sep 2 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ Sep 1 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Only Mayweather/Pacquiao, and it has to be out of the country to reach a bigger demographic.

I don't think being out of the country matters at this point, even if to say it were to be in China or Dubai, this fight lost it's luster PERIOD... There's no going back to the same spark it had from 2009-2011, in fact, u can throw that part on the grave stone of Mayweather-Pacquiao. I was also optimistic about this fight happening around that point like most of us, and it didn't... No matter if he does impress in the Rios fight (which the fight itself is not impressive IMO), or KO both guys he lost to, I still wouldn't feel it would carry the same spark for the simple fact that he got knocked cold at his peak... It's over.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Sep 2 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (jazz @ Sep 1 2013, 11:11 PM) *
I don't think it will break the Mayweather/De La Hoya record. However, that is not because it is on Showtime. The second biggest selling fight of all time Holyfield/Tyson II (1.99 million PPV buys) was on Showtime and they didn't have a promo show like 24/7 or All Access to hype the fight. I think it won't break the record because Alvarez is not as big of a star as Oscar. Both Mayweather and Oscar had proven records against top quality competition at several weight classes when they fought. Alvarez has proven nothing except that he can beat a decent fighter (Trout) in a state (Texas) where the result was practically predetermined. Mayweather is the selling point in this fight. He will account for 1.5 million PPV sales. Alvarez and Matthysse/Garcia will account for a combined 300,000 for a total of 1.8 million PPV buys.

Let me elaborate, that because of the rift between Showtime/CBS and Time Warner being one of the reasons this fight won't break the all time PPV record.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Sep 2 2013, 09:02 AM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

This is the first time in which I feel a Floyd Mayweather fight is UNDER promoted. I mean seriously, Canelo is the first guy, in YEARS, that I thought could really hurt Floyd bad. Everyone should be talking about this fight when you really think about it. Outside of Manny Pacquiao, what fighter is a bigger draw for Floyd at this point? This is the biggest and toughest fight he could possibly have taken really. Even if you are of the mindset still that "he's a cherry picker", nobody would cherry pick Canelo. This kid is big, strong, fast, talented, and he has a pretty big following. Just seems like there isn't enough buzz around this.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 07:16 AM