Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Catchweight Blame Leveled at Floyd, Nearly every boxing site except here
wolterb
post Sep 9 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #11

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,770

^I agree with ya, Emd01. Trying to argue the sanctity of the catchweight by referencing a comment Alvarez made to a web site almost 3 years ago is pretty lame. I think it makes more sense for them to stick with what they said before, which sounds closer to the truth, that Ellerbes job is to cut Mayweather the best deal possible and if Alvarez's team allows the catchweight, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't get that in the contract

I personally don't think the weight will influence the fight though.

This post has been edited by wolterb: Sep 9 2013, 10:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Sep 9 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #12

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 9 2013, 10:54 AM) *
Hypocritical would mean he asked for the catch weight and demanded Canelo fight at this weight. The difference with Pac and Floyd, Pac demanded his opponents at a catch weight. I don't recall Cotto saying, I would fight Pac at 144. I don't remember him saying that. What Canelo's team did was say that they would fight May at a catchweight in order to make the fight happen. In the words of the detective from Menace II Society "You know ya done fucked up right?" they fucked themselves up by stating this. Don't put a house that is worth 2.5 million dollars on the market for 500K just to get people interested and then get mad when the person is like "here is your 500K now give me my house" That was his teams fault not May's. Sorry. Big difference.

Can't say for certain, but Pacquiao probably had little to do with any of his fights' weights. I think both fighters have good people that are getting them 'the edge' in their contracts. And I don't think we can fault Alvarez and not Floyd, but fault Pacquiao and not Cotto. Cotto said he'd fight Pacquiao at 144 when he signed the contract. I don't see what the big difference is.

I personally think all of the arguments about catchweights are played out. Don't sign the contract if you can't fight at the weight simple

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 9 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (wolterb @ Sep 9 2013, 08:21 AM) *
Can't say for certain, but Pacquiao probably had little to do with any of his fights' weights. I think both fighters have good people that are getting them 'the edge' in their contracts. And I don't think we can fault Alvarez and not Floyd, but fault Pacquiao and not Cotto. Cotto said he'd fight Pacquiao at 144 when he signed the contract. I don't see what the big difference is.

I personally think all of the arguments about catchweights are played out. Don't sign the contract if you can't fight at the weight simple

I am not blaming anyone, but there is a difference. If you sign the contract then you agree to the stipulations of that contract. I just get tired of people taking bits and pieces of shit and trying to make it a whole. Alvarez's team fucked him over, there is proof that they said that they would fight at 150. I don't remember any of Pac's opponents stating that would fight him at catch weight before negotiations, Saul's team did.

If Saul wanted the fight at 154 he should of never signed the damn contract but he did. Great fights have happened at catchweights so I why are we bitching about it now? Saul has said plenty that the 2 pounds ain't going to kill him and he feels that he is better at 152. So why the bitching?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 9 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 9 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Hypocritical would mean he asked for the catch weight and demanded Canelo fight at this weight. The difference with Pac and Floyd, Pac demanded his opponents at a catch weight. I don't recall Cotto saying, I would fight Pac at 144. I don't remember him saying that. What Canelo's team did was say that they would fight May at a catchweight in order to make the fight happen. In the words of the detective from Menace II Society "You know ya done fucked up right?" they fucked themselves up by stating this. Don't put a house that is worth 2.5 million dollars on the market for 500K just to get people interested and then get mad when the person is like "here is your 500K now give me my house" That was his teams fault not May's. Sorry. Big difference.

he states again and again and takes pride in the fact that he doesn't fight at catchweights. But oh weight (pun intended) he happily takes this fight at a catchweight. Mayweather clearly needed it to ensure in his mind atleast his victory. I mean if he can beat him at 154lb why not fight him there. Unless he thinks he can't beat him at 154lb.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Sep 9 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Face it, Mayweather is a hypocrite for taking this fight at a catchweight.

+Quote Post
emd01
post Sep 9 2013, 12:36 PM
Post #16

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,811

I dont believe the weight will play any issue on the fight whatsoever. No bitching from me. Just pointing out that Floyd set himself up for this one. He gets blamed for anything that happens negative regarding his fights. Like when he 2 pieced Ortiz after Ortiz gave him a jumping headbutt and put his teeth through his lip...he was the dirty fighter not Ortiz. Like how he pioneered this RBT shit but Donaire gets credit for being the pioneer because "he tests all year long". Floyd is one of the most hated faces in sports today so he'll always get the shit end of the stick. He cant even get respect for being in a halfway brawl with Cotto and getting his shit busted up which people have wanted to happen for a while.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 9 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

By a show of hands, who's still going to watch the fuckin' fight anyway???

Thought so...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 9 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 9 2013, 01:40 PM) *
By a show of hands, who's still going to watch the fuckin' fight anyway???

Thought so...

Keep Sawggin Cshel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 9 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 9 2013, 04:23 AM) *
because hes a hypocrite.

this.

floyd made sure to say he let cotto fight at his natural weight and went in on pac for the catchweight thing. unfortunately, ignorance of the other teams management or not....a catchweight is a catchweight...u can't have it both ways. either u are against that shit or you're not.

floyd is notorious for giving ppl space to criticize what he says and does. this fight didn't need a catchweight imo. he gave his enemies ammunition by letting the catchweight happen. so now...in essence, they are fighting for canelo's title...which wether u consider it bullshit or not (i do, he didn't beat trout) he's still the champion at 154...and he's fighting floyd at 152 because that is what the contract said. floyd could have said fuck the catchweight....he didn't. it's stuff like this that will keep me from even considering him as the greatest. this is some ray leonard type shit.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 9 2013, 03:48 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (emd01 @ Sep 9 2013, 12:36 PM) *
I dont believe the weight will play any issue on the fight whatsoever. No bitching from me. Just pointing out that Floyd set himself up for this one. He gets blamed for anything that happens negative regarding his fights. Like when he 2 pieced Ortiz after Ortiz gave him a jumping headbutt and put his teeth through his lip...he was the dirty fighter not Ortiz. Like how he pioneered this RBT shit but Donaire gets credit for being the pioneer because "he tests all year long". Floyd is one of the most hated faces in sports today so he'll always get the shit end of the stick. He cant even get respect for being in a halfway brawl with Cotto and getting his shit busted up which people have wanted to happen for a while.

donaire testing all year and having victor conte on his pay roll was more suspect than anything to me. then he fights rigondeaux and looks nothing like his 'normal' self physically. yeah...they're legit. pffft.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 08:35 AM