Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Catchweight Blame Leveled at Floyd, Nearly every boxing site except here
mrchitown
post Sep 9 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #21

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

TBH, everybody's a hypocrite. Everyone has been or is a hypocrite about something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Sep 9 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #22

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

I'm sorry but normally you can defend Floyd and Ellerbe on most things and chalk it up to hate. What folks are conveniently leaving out is that this kid has been asking for this fight for a while now...clearly trying to negotiate the fight was not working out..this was confirmed by Floyd and by Canelo themselves. Canelo wanted a guaranteed shot at Floyd if he won either of his last two fights...which ended up forcing him to stop appearing on Floyd's undercard..Ironically they mentioned the weight and the fight was made..hell Chepo stated "They wanted 150..we finally came to an agreement at 152" and so did Schaeffer as well. So yeah let's not act like this was all based on Canelo's people speaking..they said what they needed to in order to get their fighter the bout...they did try with no weight shhh beforehand and it didn't get made. So yes at the end of the day Mayweather and Ellerbe had no plans of fighting at 154 against this kid...also not for a second do I believe they would've made the fight at 154...Khan was an option, alexander was an option and those are considerably easier opponents to beat but not big for ratings. We all know full well if Floyd and company cant flex their muscle via leverage you ain't getting the fight. With all due respect let's not act like this is new and like it makes any difference at this point...comments from three years ago are absolutely ridiculously overuse in this case. The fight is in 5 days..not much either man can do to change the circumstances.

This post has been edited by DigitalBoom: Sep 9 2013, 04:36 PM

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Sep 9 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #23

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 9 2013, 11:50 AM) *
I am not blaming anyone, but there is a difference. If you sign the contract then you agree to the stipulations of that contract. I just get tired of people taking bits and pieces of shit and trying to make it a whole. Alvarez's team fucked him over, there is proof that they said that they would fight at 150. I don't remember any of Pac's opponents stating that would fight him at catch weight before negotiations, Saul's team did.

If Saul wanted the fight at 154 he should of never signed the damn contract but he did. Great fights have happened at catchweights so I why are we bitching about it now? Saul has said plenty that the 2 pounds ain't going to kill him and he feels that he is better at 152. So why the bitching?

I'm pretty sure making 150 wasn't a problem three years ago bro..he wasn't coming in on fight night at 168-171 in those days..that's like negotiating a house purchase and showing up three years later expecting the same deal now that you've put the money together.

This post has been edited by DigitalBoom: Sep 9 2013, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Sep 9 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #24

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Is that article from 2011?? Two years ago?? Even milk has an expiration date. A lot changed in the 2 years since the article was written. The Alvarez team mentioned a catch weight 2 years ago so its valid in this fight's negotiation. Mayweather gave Pacquiao's team a rash of shit for negotiating a catch weight Now they're doing the same thing. He could have been bold and said, I want the best Canelo Alvarez possible, like he did with Cotto. He didn't do that, so there may be some concern that this kid actually has a shot to win.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 9 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 9 2013, 09:54 AM) *
Hypocritical would mean he asked for the catch weight and demanded Canelo fight at this weight. The difference with Pac and Floyd, Pac demanded his opponents at a catch weight. I don't recall Cotto saying, I would fight Pac at 144. I don't remember him saying that. What Canelo's team did was say that they would fight May at a catchweight in order to make the fight happen. In the words of the detective from Menace II Society "You know ya done fucked up right?" they fucked themselves up by stating this. Don't put a house that is worth 2.5 million dollars on the market for 500K just to get people interested and then get mad when the person is like "here is your 500K now give me my house" That was his teams fault not May's. Sorry. Big difference.

i'm sure the contracts canelo signed were drawn up by mayweathers ppl and not the other way around. yeah...there is that part about canelo's team saying they'd make the fight at 150...but that was over a year prior. things change....but floyd held him to it. it's true...no one put a gun to canelo's head. he signed that contract. but i'm sure any one can pull up that video where floyd says he doesn't do catchweights or something to that effect. it's kind of hard to defend him when he's constantly flip floppin on shit like this.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 9 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #26

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 9 2013, 06:50 PM) *
i'm sure the contracts canelo signed were drawn up by mayweathers ppl and not the other way around. yeah...there is that part about canelo's team saying they'd make the fight at 150...but that was over a year prior. things change....but floyd held him to it. it's true...no one put a gun to canelo's head. he signed that contract. but i'm sure any one can pull up that video where floyd says he doesn't do catchweights or something to that effect. it's kind of hard to defend him when he's constantly flip floppin on shit like this.

I think GB are the ones who do that

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Sep 9 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #27

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 9 2013, 11:50 AM) *
I am not blaming anyone, but there is a difference. If you sign the contract then you agree to the stipulations of that contract. I just get tired of people taking bits and pieces of shit and trying to make it a whole. Alvarez's team fucked him over, there is proof that they said that they would fight at 150. I don't remember any of Pac's opponents stating that would fight him at catch weight before negotiations, Saul's team did.

If Saul wanted the fight at 154 he should of never signed the damn contract but he did. Great fights have happened at catchweights so I why are we bitching about it now? Saul has said plenty that the 2 pounds ain't going to kill him and he feels that he is better at 152. So why the bitching?

its because MAYWEATHER has alked so much shit about catchweights in the past, it dont matter what canelos team said he would do, do you realize a team would say anything to get a mayweather fight? martinez said hed make 150 and hes a middleweight. the shit he was spewing, he should never even fight at a catchweight period, i dont care whos team said what.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 9 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #28

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Sep 9 2013, 04:47 PM) *
its because MAYWEATHER has alked so much shit about catchweights in the past, it dont matter what canelos team said he would do, do you realize a team would say anything to get a mayweather fight? martinez said hed make 150 and hes a middleweight. the shit he was spewing, he should never even fight at a catchweight period, i dont care whos team said what.

Then that is their problem

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 9 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #29

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 9 2013, 04:08 PM) *
Keep Sawggin Cshel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

We've all had gripes about fights, but we all ended up watching them anyway...in some shape form or fashion.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 9 2013, 04:48 PM) *
donaire testing all year and having victor conte on his pay roll was more suspect than anything to me. then he fights rigondeaux and looks nothing like his 'normal' self physically. yeah...they're legit. pffft.

Preach! Donaire and Conte's "fallout" was swept under the rug rather nicely...seemed like neither parties wanted to speak on it.

QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Sep 9 2013, 05:32 PM) *
I'm sorry but normally you can defend Floyd and Ellerbe on most things and chalk it up to hate. What folks are conveniently leaving out is that this kid has been asking for this fight for a while now...clearly trying to negotiate the fight was not working out..this was confirmed by Floyd and by Canelo themselves. Canelo wanted a guaranteed shot at Floyd if he won either of his last two fights...which ended up forcing him to stop appearing on Floyd's undercard..Ironically they mentioned the weight and the fight was made..hell Chepo stated "They wanted 150..we finally came to an agreement at 152" and so did Schaeffer as well. So yeah let's not act like this was all based on Canelo's people speaking..they said what they needed to in order to get their fighter the bout...they did try with no weight shhh beforehand and it didn't get made. So yes at the end of the day Mayweather and Ellerbe had no plans of fighting at 154 against this kid...also not for a second do I believe they would've made the fight at 154...Khan was an option, alexander was an option and those are considerably easier opponents to beat but not big for ratings. We all know full well if Floyd and company cant flex their muscle via leverage you ain't getting the fight. With all due respect let's not act like this is new and like it makes any difference at this point...comments from three years ago are absolutely ridiculously overuse in this case. The fight is in 5 days..not much either man can do to change the circumstances.

You have to realize that this is the big leagues of boxing...it doesn't get any bigger than this. Honestly, this fight would've been at whatever weight, regardless. Floyd is in a position to call the shots, and Canelo can either take it or leave it.

Floyd never gets the credit that he deserves, so even if he wins this one, people will have something to say. The thing about Canelo, is that he's in a win/win situation. If he loses, he'll get a nice payday, and an excuse as to why he couldn't perform at 152. Even if the fight was at 150, then Canelo would still walk away with a payday and an excuse.

People are forgetting that CANELO signed for this fight. Oscar didn't sign for him, nor did his manager, nor did his trainer...just Canelo. So he (Canelo) can piss & moan about whose responsible for the catchweight, but at the end of the day, the bitch still signed on the dotted line himself. Money makes you do things against your better judgement, especially the money that Canelo's going to make for this fight.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 9 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #30

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 9 2013, 05:42 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

We've all had gripes about fights, but we all ended up watching them anyway...in some shape form or fashion.

Preach! Donaire and Conte's "fallout" was swept under the rug rather nicely...seemed like neither parties wanted to speak on it.

You have to realize that this is the big leagues of boxing...it doesn't get any bigger than this. Honestly, this fight would've been at whatever weight, regardless. Floyd is in a position to call the shots, and Canelo can either take it or leave it.

Floyd never gets the credit that he deserves, so even if he wins this one, people will have something to say. The thing about Canelo, is that he's in a win/win situation. If he loses, he'll get a nice payday, and an excuse as to why he couldn't perform at 152. Even if the fight was at 150, then Canelo would still walk away with a payday and an excuse.

People are forgetting that CANELO signed for this fight. Oscar didn't sign for him, nor did his manager, nor did his trainer...just Canelo. So he (Canelo) can piss & moan about whose responsible for the catchweight, but at the end of the day, the bitch still signed on the dotted line himself. Money makes you do things against your better judgement, especially the money that Canelo's going to make for this fight.

Let that man cook! Well said. You still have your nuts intact! Well said!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:30 AM