IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canelo vs Trout, Am I the only person who thinks this fight was closer than it seems.
Jhill47
post Sep 12 2013, 09:08 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594

Am I the only person who thinks that fight was pretty close? People are talking as if Canelo walked all over Trout and I really feel they are putting too much emphasis on his performance. I have no problem with him getting the win b/c i believe he did win the fight but IMO the KD was difference. Trout is no Mayweather when it comes to speed and defense. I think Canelo is great fighter but I'm wondering if the Trout fight is a good measuring stick to see how he fairs against Mayweather. Let's not forget that this fight was in Texas and they where doing open scoring which I think ultimately caused Trout to alter his game plan and fight in a way that he is not accustom to. Anyway I want to know what you guys think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 12 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Sep 12 2013, 10:08 AM) *
Am I the only person who thinks that fight was pretty close? People are talking as if Canelo walked all over Trout and I really feel they are putting too much emphasis on his performance. I have no problem with him getting the win b/c i believe he did win the fight but IMO the KD was difference. Trout is no Mayweather when it comes to speed and defense. I think Canelo is great fighter but I'm wondering if the Trout fight is a good measuring stick to see how he fairs against Mayweather. Let's not forget that this fight was in Texas and they where doing open scoring which I think ultimately caused Trout to alter his game plan and fight in a way that he is not accustom to. Anyway I want to know what you guys think.

Blame it on Trout, he was the one that went out there and fought like a sucker. As a result, we all have to hear about how elite Canelo is.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 12 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

lets be real trout wasn't going to win a decision against canelo.

not when you have a future floyd vs canelo fight looming.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Sep 12 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

^exactly. plus i think the fight was decided once alvarez scored the knockdown.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 12 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 12 2013, 06:24 AM) *
Blame it on Trout, he was the one that went out there and fought like a sucker. As a result, we all have to hear about how elite Canelo is.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Sadly he still won that fight. I had him winning by 1 or two points. But oh well. When you fight not to lose, you lose.

QUOTE (wolterb @ Sep 12 2013, 07:22 AM) *
^exactly. plus i think the fight was decided once alvarez scored the knockdown.

Um, Alvarez lost that round. How ironic.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i thought trout won the fight..but lost the decision. there was a reason they had that fight in texas.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 12 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 12 2013, 12:37 PM) *
Sadly he still won that fight. I had him winning by 1 or two points. But oh well. When you fight not to lose, you lose.

Um, Alvarez lost that round. How ironic.

There's a distinct difference in convincingly winning, and controversially losing. Yeah I know, that hardly made a lick of sense. Thing is, had Trout fought harder (as if he truly wanted to win), then it wouldn't been so hard to give him rounds. Instead, he controversially lost...which means he may have done enough in OUR eyes, but in the eyes of those that it truly mattered, he didn't do enough.

Whether Canelo lost round 6 after he scored the knockdown or not, the knockdown spelled, "dominance" in the eyes of those who wanted him to win. Besides, had the knockdown not occurred, there's no guarantee that Trout would've scored a knockdown anyway, just judging by the way he was fighting.

With that in mind, the rounds woud've still been close, and the guy (read: the more marketable fighter) would've gotten the nod anyway. These reasons alone, make me hate Trout for fighting as hesitant as he did, it's almost like he didn't wanna be there.

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Sep 12 2013, 01:07 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

While yes the scores were ridiculous they would've made no difference. Can anyone here honestly say that Trout won that fight in any fashion outright? If so please explain. I was pulling for Trout that fight and I frankly didn't believe Alvarez had anything for Trout...boy was I wrong. I'm man enough to take my bet loss and say the kid shocked me with some of his movement. I'm sorry but in no way shape or form was Trout closer than 2 points shy of winning this fight. While many can argue he outlanded in some rounds...it's time to stop looking at pit pat punches in the same degree as someone landing a hook. The hook is considerably harder to land and more often than not requires a set up to make it land. I like Trout, I respect Canelo now but Trout showed the kids power too much respect and got taken out of his game because of it...Also Trout fights horribly moving backwards or sideways..he just looked back jabbing moving back...plus he had the reach and height advantage and really never capitalized on either one. Now onto Canelo's stamina that fight...I think he dropped weight too fast, overtrained and then put 19 pounds back on to his frame...all recipes for disaster. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

This post has been edited by DigitalBoom: Sep 12 2013, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 12 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Sep 12 2013, 02:07 PM) *
While yes the scores were ridiculous they would've made no difference. Can anyone here honestly say that Trout won that fight in any fashion outright? If so please explain. I was pulling for Trout that fight and I frankly didn't believe Alvarez had anything for Trout...boy was I wrong. I'm man enough to take my bet loss and say the kid shocked me with some of his movement. I'm sorry but in no way shape or form was Trout closer than 2 points shy of winning this fight. While many can argue he outlanded in some rounds...it's time to stop looking at pit pat punches in the same degree as someone landing a hook. The hook is considerably harder to land and more often than not requires a set up to make it land. I like Trout, I respect Canelo now but Trout showed the kids power too much respect and got taken out of his game because of it...Also Trout fights horribly moving backwards or sideways..he just looked back jabbing moving back...plus he had the reach and height advantage and really never capitalized on either one. Now onto Canelo's stamina that fight...I think he dropped weight too fast, overtrained and then put 19 pounds back on to his frame...all recipes for disaster. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

Good point...a rather easy point that I've before. Just because you have a height and reach advantage, it doesn't necessarily spell "advantage". If you dont know how to properly use those advantages (or use them under pressure), then what good are they?

Hence Paul Williams and his freakish frame. I can't say that Paul didn't know how to use his, he just refused to and fought like the smaller man...giving his opponent an advantage that was never on paper, leading up to the fight.

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Sep 12 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #10

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 12 2013, 02:27 PM) *
Good point...a rather easy point that I've before. Just because you have a height and reach advantage, it doesn't necessarily spell "advantage". If you dont know how to properly use those advantages (or use them under pressure), then what good are they?

Hence Paul Williams and his freakish frame. I can't say that Paul didn't know how to use his, he just refused to and fought like the smaller man...giving his opponent an advantage that was never on paper, leading up to the fight.

I feel you on that...one thing I will say regarding that is look at their legs lol. Both have awkward chicken aneroxic legs..I think that factor comes into play for both men. Funny though you mention Paul Williams..I just had an argument about him and Floyd. It's the one fight I will never forgive Floyd for avoiding like the plague. To this day I think Floyd beats Paul but I think the Mayweather Camp wasn't so sure they could beat him.

This post has been edited by DigitalBoom: Sep 12 2013, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 07:25 AM