> What's Canelo Gonna Do Now?
Amandla
post Sep 15 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,750

I'm thinking maybe Cotto?

Outisde of Cotto I'd say Chavez Jr but I think he's tied up with Top Rank so theres little chance there.

I'd say Sergio Martinez, he might be fit by May next year?

And Golovkin of course as its his time. Floyd tested the Canelo's chin I think its time to test it further but I can't see Oscar gambling that much.

Out of those I'd say a Martinez fight looks the smartest bet.

Who'd you think and who would you pick as Canelo's next opponent if you were his promoter?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Sep 15 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

Cotto for sure IF it can be made. That is a PPV seller and a fight I would be really interested in.

There are guys like Angulo, Lara, Molina, etc in 154 that could get made for a Showtime card in the first half of 2014. Keith Thurman could move up and be interesting. Then you have the HBO Middleweights like GGG, JCCJR, Sergio, etc.

My guess is that he gets a Showtime fight in March against someone like Angulo. Then he looks for a PPV fight in the winter of 2014.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Sep 15 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

Cotto-Alvarez for Cinco de Mayo weekend would be interesting. I know Mayweather wants that date, but I think Canelo-Cotto sells better than Mayweather-Garcia for that date. Canelo-Cotto would be a big event.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Sep 15 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

I think they'll maybe give him a couple fights to bounce back from this lost. Feed someone like Molina to him next.

+Quote Post
Amandla
post Sep 15 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,750

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 01:32 PM) *
I think they'll maybe give him a couple fights to bounce back from this lost. Feed someone like Molina to him next.

Thats bad form. He fought well but he needs real tough tests if theres a plan to take on Mayweather again.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 15 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

They'll probably feed Molina to him...that's a relatively easy title bout for him. This way, he'll be the IBF champ, and a Cotto fight would make more sense, since it's for a "title".

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Sep 15 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (Amandla @ Sep 15 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Thats bad form. He fought well but he needs real tough tests if theres a plan to take on Mayweather again.

The big tests will come. Remember, he's only 23 coming off his first proffesional loss at the big stage. Give him a bout or two to gain his confidence back before throwing him in there with another lion like Cotto and others. The Junior Middleweight and Middleweight division is pretty stacked so I don't think there should be a rush for him to be immediately put back in there with the top dogs until he's had a bounce back fight, especially since he's being built as a future attraction of boxing. Coming off of your first loss can be tough and I don't think a straight shot at the top guys is smart, but we'll see.

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Sep 15 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

1. Immediately start shopping for a new trainer...preferrably one who will teach him to use his strengths and strengthen his weakness. Chepo and them have done all they can but don't have what it takes to take this kid to the next level. The only other fighter worse prepared than Canelo I have seen was Guerrero and look at the correlation between who trains both...I really thought the Canelo camp had hired a Brother Naz, brought in a V Hunter...guys who are very familiar with the shoulder roll and philly shell...truly atrocious preparation for this fight.

2. Invest in a god damned Chef!! Invest in a full time S&C coach....he literally showed he had nothing in the tank at the start of round 2..how are you 15 pounds heavier and being backed up? How are you with your opponent with his back against the rope and stepping backwards? SMH

3. Grow a pair. I didn't expect him to beat Floyd but I would've respect Canelo for going out on his shield. I feel he showed up to collect a check and nothing more. Real warriors rather go out on their back from exhaustion than trying to survive.

Clearly I had higher expectations of this kid..it was absolutely frustrating to see him just chump out like that..he was fighting the best fighter in the world and showed up like he was fighting Josesito Lopez again. Not taking anything from Floyd at all..he did exactly what was expected and did it masterfully but this kid literally brought a vagina with him to the ring last night.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Sep 15 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Canelo has every opportunity to fight any fighter out there that he had before fighting Floyd. His loss last night didn't change much at all IMO. I still think he's one of the best fighters out there and has a chance to beat anyone not named Floyd from 147-160. I'd like to see him fight Martinez. I wanted to see him fight Cotto but now I think he'd dismantle Cotto.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Sep 15 2013, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 15 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

Cotto and Canelo would be another big fight but I'm thinking Canelo and Molina will be facing off so Canelo has another belt. Either one is a good fight for him though

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 01:24 PM