IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floyd-No Overwhelming African American Support, Why doesn't he have his legion amongst Blacks??
BrutUalBK
post Sep 17 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Per your requests I was asked like Queen Latifah to Set It Off so here goes:

I just don't understand us (black people, African American or whatever we're calling ourselves these days) because whenever any Mexican fights he has his entire country behind him but let a brother, brutha, brotha fight then he has his own people bashing, hating and flaming on him, we used to stick together during the 60's now we're the house divided against itself.

Now I'm not saying we all have to love our fighters simply because they're black but man, the entire Philippines gets behind Pac, Mexico gets behind all their fighters, China gets behind Shimming but we got the most dominant fighter in recent years in the sport and he happens to be black but yet we have all kinds of bruthas hating on him.

There is no solidarity amongs black people nowadays and it is truly sad, why can't we all get behind our boy who is by the way an Olympic Bronze Medalist to boot (which he should've gotten he Gold but was robbed)!!

Come Black people, stand up!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emd01
post Sep 17 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,811

I'm not blindly getting behind some fighter because he's black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . They did that shit in the 60s and before because it was the only time a black man could kick a white dudes ass and not get lynched. Hell, most of the black dudes I know dont even watch boxing. I'm a fan of boxing. I dont care if the dude is black, white, mexican, filipino or from Mars just as long as he can fight.

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Sep 17 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

You make A good point. mexican fighters have a National Solidarity--- whereas Blacks have no National identity. Blacks have no cultural unity no cultural identity no matter how many balls we can dunk, jabs we can slip, or songs sung, Blacks have no DEFINITIVE culture. There is a book called "Powernomics" by Claude Anderson where goes into some of the very underlying realities--- consider this: a Best selling Bill Board Song in the 1920s was "EVERY RACE has a flag but the coon" ...

now Floyd is followed by all races because he is a popular American, but the lack of cultural solidarity among blacks results in him lacking much Black support

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Sep 17 2013, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 17 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Sep 17 2013, 09:11 PM) *
You make A good point. mexican fighters have a National Solidarity--- whereas Blacks have no National identity. Blacks have no cultural unity no cultural identity no matter how many balls we can dunk, jabs we can slip, or songs sung, Blacks have no DEFINITIVE culture. There is a book called "Powernomics" by Claude Anderson where goes into some of the very underlying realities--- consider this: a Best selling Bill Board Song in the 1920s was "EVERY RACE has a flag but the coon" ...

now Floyd is followed by all races because he is a popular American, but the lack of cultural solidarity among blacks results in him lacking much Black support

i think you hit on two of the main ingredients here....national identity and cultural unity.

honestly...as far as national identity is concerned...i think it's bullshit. i see it all the time....puerto ricans, mexicans...dominicans, colombians etc...they all claim, i'm 100% this....or i'm 100% that. what's that mean exactly? that both your parents were born in mexico? or puerto rico? or wherever the fuck? truth is...most from latino/spanish speaking countries are mixed raced people. they won't admit to it...but it's true. they are all mixtures of native american/indigenous, spanish/european and in some cases african ppl. hugo chavez (rip) from venezuela is one of the first leaders to acknowledge this. i think mexico's 2nd president, benito juarez was mulatto. these people from these countries have more in common than not. they eat very similar foods...have similar religious beliefs...they were all part of colonization some where along the line. the same can be said for jamaicans, trinidadian, hatians etc... and in most of those islands where the african influence in culture is very strong...u will see some denial there as well.

as for african american culture...that shit is rich. look at the influence across the board. music, arts, sports....most major american contributions to the world has had african american influence.

+Quote Post
NoCatchweights
post Sep 17 2013, 11:16 PM
Post #5

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,908

Rap, Jazz, Blues and Rock and Roll alone have had more influence than most nations and those are from blacks.

I've seen blacks stop liking boxing in my lifetime and I'm 27. I can remember Tyson fight parties and Zab and Roy Jones being names every black guy new, even Curtis Stevens, Floyd, Shane and Winky were names we looked up to and saw talked about in Hip Hop. Now if I'm a casual I know 3 names Manny, Floyd and Broner. As a kid the fight party was all black, now it's my Mexican people, there were 10 Mexicans and 2 blacks and the blacks were a couple. I once said boxing would always have black and Mexican support but black support is nearly dead. HBO has made a conscious decision to be a Euro network and I hate the direction they want to take it.

The black people who I know who like boxing love Floyd, I support Floyd in part due to people who put him down sometimes in a racist way.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 17 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

My issue is it's just not in sports which is why I said in the other thread he had a point. It's everywhere, not too many blacks support their own communities. It's grocery stores, mom and pop record shops, basically everything you can imagine in some of these communities but blacks will go out of their way to take their hard earned money and give it back to the very structure they complaining about...some people like whining just to have something to whine about

I don't think it's just an issue of sports, the sporting world mixed in with this social media nonsense is just a big mirror reflection of the problems that blacks are facing. But pertaining to black athletes and in this case Mayweather Jr, it comes down to a case of jealousy or self hate. Michael Jordan delat with it, Ali dealt with it, Tyson is still dealing with it in a sense and Lebron and Floyd define this era of athletes who get no love from blacks. Basketball is a popular sport but I look around and most of the shade I see thrown his way is from blacks. Our people have been programmed in a way to shun each other and discredit each other and relate to the enemy. The enemy is who you see fit, I know who my enemy is lol

A lot of hardcore boxing fans think Mayweather is more popular then he actually is, he even admitted so in interviews as recently as 2011 that he's not popular, he's grown since then but still nowhere near where he should be. I applaud him for appealing to the hip-hop crowd because a lot of his black fans come from that fan base but it's a shame when mediocre athletes in other sports are getting more love then him. People for the most part tune in to see him lose, and I'm willing to bet that if he did lose, some of his black supporters would flee just as quick as the Mexicans and whites would. It's like black athletes get penalized for their success and we all know that growing up in the hood and becoming successful is a no-no. People love you when yall on even terms struggling and shit but let you try to do something more with your life and/or actually achieve your goal like Mayweather, Lebron, Kobe etc. did. Now all of a sudden you ain't shit and they pray for your downfall. Slavery is over in the sense that we not physically shackled but the mind is very powerful and unfortunately alot of blacks are imprisoned mentally. I guess they can't throw off the chains of being controlled and manipulated

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Sep 18 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Another thing, I'd like to add. There are other sports thatmy kids gravitate to. Black kids are able to watch baseball, basketball and football on free TV. then they watch ESPN highlights on cable. Boxing has not made itself mainstream enough for kids to watch and enjoy. The boxing superbowl is on PPV. It usually comes on late at night when the next generation is asleep. All of my kids were in bed when Mayweather/Canelo started. Plus them watching it is solely dependant on me. I went to a fight party to watch.

If major fights came on regular TV at 7:30pm, you'd have more black people gravitating toward the sport, IMO. You grab the kids and you got the next gen folks on board.

+Quote Post
NoCatchweights
post Sep 18 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #8

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,908

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 18 2013, 12:13 AM) *
Another thing, I'd like to add. There are other sports thatmy kids gravitate to. Black kids are able to watch baseball, basketball and football on free TV. then they watch ESPN highlights on cable. Boxing has not made itself mainstream enough for kids to watch and enjoy. The boxing superbowl is on PPV. It usually comes on late at night when the next generation is asleep. All of my kids were in bed when Mayweather/Canelo started. Plus them watching it is solely dependant on me. I went to a fight party to watch.

If major fights came on regular TV at 7:30pm, you'd have more black people gravitating toward the sport, IMO. You grab the kids and you got the next gen folks on board.

The TV networks won't buy, 1 million is not a lot for the networks who pay billions to show the NFL. Not much you can do if networks won't pay for your product.

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Sep 18 2013, 09:00 AM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

[quote name='mrchitown' date='Sep 18 2013, 12:17 AM' post='590393']
My issue is it's just not in sports which is why I said in the other thread he had a point. It's everywhere, not too many blacks support their own communities. It's grocery stores, mom and pop record shops, basically everything you can imagine in some of these communities but blacks will go out of their way to take their hard earned money and give it back to the very structure they complaining about...some people like whining just to have something to whine about

I don't think it's just an issue of sports, the sporting world mixed in with this social media nonsense is just a big mirror reflection of the problems that blacks are facing. But pertaining to black athletes and in this case Mayweather Jr, it comes down to a case of jealousy or self hate...

Well said... jealousy and self hate plague the Black community how many of the near 8-9000 murders in the Black community each year stem from jealousy and self hate???

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Sep 18 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Actually the first president of Mexico was an ex African slave.

As slaves we were never encouraged to uphold each other and work together. if anything, the slave masters taught us to actually hate each other. After slavery and right up to the early 90s, everything black was bad and no good. I honestly think integration further separated blacks from self identity and pride in oneself. In order to feel that we were something we had to move from our community into a community that didn't even want blacks to live in. All the wealthy blacks left the community and the only ones left were the poor. So the community as a whole went down. Then drugs came into the community and that was the beginning of the end. The drug laws killed black families and communities and the image of black left became so negative.

I support Mayweather 110%, I support him so much, on this board I get called a nut hugger and all this other bullshit. So even if you are a proud fan of boxer you get shitted on, especially if it is Floyd. So when cats on this board want to take swipes at me for admitting that I am a big Mayweather fan, I say fuck em because why should I feel bad about supporting someone I like? Our people can affirm everyone else but our own and the moment we do, we have to be apologetic for it. I am not that type of person. I have no bones about supporting my own. I freely admit, one of the reason why I voted for Obama was because he is black. White folks do it all the time. Hispanics in Cali vote for other Hispanics. So the hell can't I or we do the same? because we are not suppose to be united, We were meant to be.

I call it post traumatic slave disorder. We still have a very long way to go to break the psychological shackles of slavery.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:19 AM