IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto-Alverez or Cotto-Martinez?
Which is the smartest big fight for Cotto next?
Alverez or Martinez
Cotto-Alverez [ 15 ] ** [60.00%]
Cotto-Martinez [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Other (Your Suggestion) [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
Gambit808
post Oct 6 2013, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

Both would be HUGE, but I think Cotto fighting Martinez is the smarter choice. Like Roy said Saturday night, Cotto doesen't need to be in there with another up and coming fighter with a bright future and I agree with him. A fight with Martinez would be just as big and you can bet the odds would be almost even.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 6 2013, 11:59 PM
Post #2

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I say Cotto and Martinez. And I say that because who knows how Martinez will perform when he comes back and it would be interesting to see Cotto go for the belt at 160. He should stay away like RJJ said from the young bulls because they will snatched his soul.

If he tried to get in there and fight Canelo I'd watch but right now I'd favor Canelo, but that's not to say that Cotto won't make it a fight. I like that Miguel finished his man when he had him hurt. He was throwing the hooks to the body like the Cotto we all love to see, but he was open to be hit and you have to wonder. Can Canelo or Martinez or any other fighter capitalize on that? Delvin couldn't. The pairing of Roach and Cotto is interesting. I personally think he's still a 147 guy but I don't think he wants to fight there anymore but if he could he should go there because that's really his best weight

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 7 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think the cotto martinez fight is more exciting. They have thrown verbal jabs at each other over the years, constant calling out and remarks. They both get a good pay day towards the end of pretty good careers and both fight for their legacy (for cotto the mw title, for martinez the biggest name on his resume).

The canelo fight really does nothing for cotto other than the pay day. Yea its a good pay day but I don't think it would be by much. And as chi mentioned in the other thread martinez is ripe for the picking, coming off of injuries a long layoff and at 38-39 years old.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Oct 7 2013, 05:40 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

Personally I would like to see the Cotto-Alvarez fight just to see GB & TR work together again. Maybe Cotto is the key here to breaking the ice. Both companies seem to like both fighters.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Oct 7 2013, 07:43 AM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Oct 7 2013, 06:40 AM) *
Personally I would like to see the Cotto-Alvarez fight just to see GB & TR work together again. Maybe Cotto is the key here to breaking the ice. Both companies seem to like both fighters.

That would be interesting, but why would Cotto bring TR in on a deal like that, isn't he still a free agent, or did he re-sign with TR?

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 7 2013, 08:37 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think both fighters would ultimately retire Miguel Cotto. Moreso Canelo than Martinez. I'd rather see Cotto fight Alvarez though. I think if he can establish himself early, he has a shot. I'd like to see Cotto fight someone less threatening first before he puts it all on the line. Since he is re-reinventing himself (lol), I think he should work his way back up to the top of the division. Not saying he has to given his legacy. I just think it would benefit him more. Maybe fight a Victor Ortiz, James Kirkland, Cornelius Bundrage or Robert Guerrero type guy first then go for the gusto.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 7 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Oct 7 2013, 08:43 AM) *
That would be interesting, but why would Cotto bring TR in on a deal like that, isn't he still a free agent, or did he re-sign with TR?

I think Cotto's leasing TR's services, the same way Floyd does with GBP.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 7 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 7 2013, 08:37 AM) *
I think both fighters would ultimately retire Miguel Cotto. Moreso Canelo than Martinez. I'd rather see Cotto fight Alvarez though. I think if he can establish himself early, he has a shot. I'd like to see Cotto fight someone less threatening first before he puts it all on the line. Since he is re-reinventing himself (lol), I think he should work his way back up to the top of the division. Not saying he has to given his legacy. I just think it would benefit him more. Maybe fight a Victor Ortiz, James Kirkland, Cornelius Bundrage or Robert Guerrero type guy first then go for the gusto.

Well said Franchize, I want to see him go for that 4th title in his 4th different weight class but I think he should get a few more W's under his belt first. It seems what he usually does is lose then go get a tuneup, then jump right back in there. But I don't think that'll work anymore because if he fighting at 154-160 those champs are tough to beat. He should get another win or two under his belt and then go for it. Because his next loss will be his last payday

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Oct 7 2013, 12:55 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 7 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

I think we can kiss Cotto-Canelo goodbye, Cotto said that if GB wants him to fight a Canelo they will have to talk to TR...Arum and Roach are really pushing for the Martinez fight and Roach swears that if he was training Miguel that he would've beaten Mayweather Jr....dude finally gets a win under his belt and he's back to talking shit lol

+Quote Post
NoCatchweights
post Oct 7 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #10

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,908

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Oct 7 2013, 07:43 AM) *

Cotto said in the post fight press conference that Martinez 's or Canelo's team would have to work with Top Rank.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:53 AM