IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto-Alverez or Cotto-Martinez?
Which is the smartest big fight for Cotto next?
Alverez or Martinez
Cotto-Alverez [ 15 ] ** [60.00%]
Cotto-Martinez [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Other (Your Suggestion) [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
mrchitown
post Oct 9 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #31

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 8 2013, 11:09 PM) *
Damn right they were intentional (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . Cotto is my 2nd favorite fighter besides Floyd and i'll be pulling for him if he fights Sergio but damnit i'd be lying if, in this fight against Martinez, I said pulling for and hoping wasnt the same thing. Martinez will be 100% confident in this fight. Hell, if Canelo moved up to LHW to fight BHop does anyone think Hopkins wouldnt be confident? Same thing here.

Sergio is 3 inches taller with an 8, yea an 8, inch reach advantage with speed equal to or better than Cottos. He'll come in fight night every bit of 175 lbs. He's going to pummel and stop Cotto by the 5th round. Shits a mismatch.

Stylistically it's just a bad match up for Miguel. Martinez's style is going to eat him alive. This actually appears to be the best option for both fighters and Arum and TR are targeting this fight for the weekend before the PR day parade in NY. I expect to see some nut shots in this one too, especially when the heat gets turned up
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 9 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #32

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 9 2013, 12:33 AM) *
So you think Martinez walks into the ring weighing the same as Ortiz at WW or Canelo at JMW? Shit just looking at those dudes I can tell Sergio is the bigger man. Thats why they wouldnt do fight night weigh ins at the Chavez Jr fight. Sergio doesnt want people to know how huge his ass is because he's still trying to play that "lil MW" BS that everyone seems to have eaten up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

Mmmm...yeah, I believe he will. Sergio's a MW at this point, after fighting there since late '09, but he's still a small MW. In my opinion, he's stuck there. He's too big to come down to '54, but he's a small(er) MW. He may weigh in a pound or two under the MW limit, but there's a difference in coming in at a weight that you wanna come in at, and being obligated to make a catchweight weight. I said that because Canelo said that he wouldn't mind fighting Sergio at a catchweight.

Any yes, you're correct, Sergio's the bigger man compared to Miguel, but they'll be somewhere in the same neighborhood after rehydrating. The bigger difference is, Sergio has been hitting and getting hit by full-blown MWs, unlike Cotto, so that's where the rubber meets the road in this fight. If Cotto's that whopping 5'8 1/2 that HBO says he is (which I believe he's 5'7 at best), then there wont be much of a height disparity there. LOL

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Oct 9 2013, 03:47 AM) *
I agree Cshel. That fight would be an instant classic. I don't see Bradley lasting the full 12 rounds against a determined and properly trained Cotto at this point.

Yep! I believe Cotto and Bradley are the same size, but as far as strength goes...Cotto has more of it. Bradley was a bully at 140, but at WW, he's looking less of a "He-Man", so to speak. Do you think Bradley will be stronger at 154? I'm not even sure how easy it is for him to make 147 nowadays, but who knows. I know some guys get stronger if they move up a division or two, then they're power tends to peak at a certain weight class.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Oct 9 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #33

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 9 2013, 08:41 AM) *
Mmmm...yeah, I believe he will. Sergio's a MW at this point, after fighting there since late '09, but he's still a small MW. In my opinion, he's stuck there. He's too big to come down to '54, but he's a small(er) MW. He may weigh in a pound or two under the MW limit, but there's a difference in coming in at a weight that you wanna come in at, and being obligated to make a catchweight weight. I said that because Canelo said that he wouldn't mind fighting Sergio at a catchweight.

Any yes, you're correct, Sergio's the bigger man compared to Miguel, but they'll be somewhere in the same neighborhood after rehydrating. The bigger difference is, Sergio has been hitting and getting hit by full-blown MWs, unlike Cotto, so that's where the rubber meets the road in this fight. If Cotto's that whopping 5'8 1/2 that HBO says he is (which I believe he's 5'7 at best), then there wont be much of a height disparity there. LOL

Yep! I believe Cotto and Bradley are the same size, but as far as strength goes...Cotto has more of it. Bradley was a bully at 140, but at WW, he's looking less of a "He-Man", so to speak. Do you think Bradley will be stronger at 154? I'm not even sure how easy it is for him to make 147 nowadays, but who knows. I know some guys get stronger if they move up a division or two, then they're power tends to peak at a certain weight class.

According to their profile, both fighters are close in size with Cotto having a slight edge. Bradley seems to add a lot of weight in between fights. That can't be a good thing to lose so much weight in such a limited time frame. I remember at 140 Bradley got buzzed and knocked down a few times also. He's just so determined that maybe it covers up his chin a little. Every fighter handles weight differently so it would be interesting to see if he handles 154 better when it comes to chin,power,speed,durability etc....The problem for Bradley is that he barely stands 5-6 so 154 may slow him down, but like you said how much does he struggle to get to 147? I've never heard any reports of struggle, but wouldn't be surprised if he does. I really like both of these fighters. True Warriors and would love to see this matchup.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Oct 9 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #34

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

arum probably thinks martinez isn't the same fighter since got knee surgery. that's why they are pushing for this fight.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 9 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #35

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 9 2013, 08:41 AM) *

Bradley was a mw in the ams, the weight should be no problem.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 9 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #36

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Oct 9 2013, 03:05 PM) *
According to their profile, both fighters are close in size with Cotto having a slight edge. Bradley seems to add a lot of weight in between fights. That can't be a good thing to lose so much weight in such a limited time frame. I remember at 140 Bradley got buzzed and knocked down a few times also. He's just so determined that maybe it covers up his chin a little. Every fighter handles weight differently so it would be interesting to see if he handles 154 better when it comes to chin,power,speed,durability etc....The problem for Bradley is that he barely stands 5-6 so 154 may slow him down, but like you said how much does he struggle to get to 147? I've never heard any reports of struggle, but wouldn't be surprised if he does. I really like both of these fighters. True Warriors and would love to see this matchup.

I don't see any struggle at all, it's not like he has struggled with his weight throughout his career like Chavez jr lol. The reason he ballooned up in weight was because he was getting that shit over the Pacquiao fight, that was the first time that happened and even then it's not like he gets up to 180. His issues are more mental then physical, that going up in weight is greatly exaggerated when it comes to Bradley

+Quote Post
Amandla
post Oct 9 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #37

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,750

I would LOVE to see him fight Canelo just leaving all poltics aside. I think he has a good chance of tapping that ass.

Sergio ain't healthy yet so I wouldn't want to see that myself.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 10 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #38

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Oct 9 2013, 04:05 PM) *

You couldn't ask for a better matchup! Oh the suspense, just moments before the opening bell! I remember him getting touched up a bit at 140, but again, it may have had something to do with the weight, or him being overzealous at that certain moment of the fight.

He didn't take those shots well in the Provodnikov fight, mainly because he got up to around 180+ after the Manny fight, which he's usually around 165 or 170. I think Timmy trolled us in his last though..."Hey, let me go out here and fight stupid, look vulnerable, fight back hard, and get some buzz going". Looks like he pulled a fast one on us, since his chin and between-fight weight, is a topic of discussion now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

As you mentioned, his height could be a problem at 154. He is about 5'6, which is a big problem for bigger weight classes. This is the reason that I thought Khan would edge him years ago, but that was then. As for Cotto, I'm not sure where this whopping 5'8 1/2 came from on HBO's telecast last week, but Im not even sure Miguel's past 5'7. I remember for the Pac/Diaz fight, they had Pac's arm length at 25 inches....really?! Get outta here! I question them sometimes, because fighters that used to fight on HBO, are suddenly an inch/inch and half shorter on the Showtime telecast. Lol

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 9 2013, 05:44 PM) *
Bradley was a mw in the ams, the weight should be no problem.

I'm not that familiar with the amateur weight classes, but would MW be in the 150's perhaps?

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 10 2013, 08:51 PM
Post #39

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 10 2013, 11:36 AM) *
You couldn't ask for a better matchup! Oh the suspense, just moments before the opening bell! I remember him getting touched up a bit at 140, but again, it may have had something to do with the weight, or him being overzealous at that certain moment of the fight.

He didn't take those shots well in the Provodnikov fight, mainly because he got up to around 180+ after the Manny fight, which he's usually around 165 or 170. I think Timmy trolled us in his last though..."Hey, let me go out here and fight stupid, look vulnerable, fight back hard, and get some buzz going". Looks like he pulled a fast one on us, since his chin and between-fight weight, is a topic of discussion now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

As you mentioned, his height could be a problem at 154. He is about 5'6, which is a big problem for bigger weight classes. This is the reason that I thought Khan would edge him years ago, but that was then. As for Cotto, I'm not sure where this whopping 5'8 1/2 came from on HBO's telecast last week, but Im not even sure Miguel's past 5'7. I remember for the Pac/Diaz fight, they had Pac's arm length at 25 inches....really?! Get outta here! I question them sometimes, because fighters that used to fight on HBO, are suddenly an inch/inch and half shorter on the Showtime telecast. Lol

I'm not that familiar with the amateur weight classes, but would MW be in the 150's perhaps?

I believe they get more leeway in the ams tho, like about 6 pounds. Could be wrong tho

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 11 2013, 01:05 AM
Post #40

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (NoCatchweights @ Oct 7 2013, 01:05 PM) *
Cotto said in the post fight press conference that Martinez 's or Canelo's team would have to work with Top Rank.

i think that's cotto realizing it's best for him to just focus on boxing and leave the business side to arum & co. not everyone has an al haymon in their corner.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:08 PM