IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto-Alverez or Cotto-Martinez?
Which is the smartest big fight for Cotto next?
Alverez or Martinez
Cotto-Alverez [ 15 ] ** [60.00%]
Cotto-Martinez [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Other (Your Suggestion) [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
xxxxxx
post Nov 18 2013, 01:13 PM
Post #61

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 17 2013, 07:42 PM) *
If Arum could pull off a Bradley/Marquez fight, then surely he could push a Cotto/Bradley fight to the public.

I think we agreed before the Cotto-Bradley fight could be sold and would be a barnburner if both guys came with their A game. I will settle for Cotto-Alvarez or Cotto-Martinez lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Nov 18 2013, 01:15 PM
Post #62

Lightweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 17 2013, 08:38 PM) *
of course there is. the fact that we are discussing this fight in a thread thats supposed to be about canelo and martinez says that there is interest amongst boxing purists, and we are the ones who set up the matches that the casual fans eventually gain interest in. i think it makes alot of sense financially for bob arum, and bob is ultimately in control right now. cotto is in a win win like you said so he doesnt really care. a 160 title is a nice dream, but the reality is fair at best. maybe making timmy come up to 154 may suit cotto. the fact that cotto is being trained by roach is also a plus because roach has alot of experience fighting against bradley, and hes knows how to box tim and how to fight tim, his experience would play a role. i think it would be a great fight, with cotto having a great shot at winning. hes got all the tools to neutralize bradley, good jab, greta bodyork, and decent defense. Also tim wouldnt really be able to hurt cotto with hsi lack of power. i think cottos bodywork might finally suck the steam outta tim, and his ability to use an effective jab would also fuck with tims offense. cotto can conterpunch as well whne he needs to. he has a great all around game. i really anna see this.

EDIT: i forgot to add in the fact that theyd be using 10oz gloves, which cotto prefers to use for defense like he expressed in the floyd fight. timmy power + tim in 10pz gloves = cotto walking through his ass. beware of the head cotto

Agreed.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Nov 19 2013, 09:49 AM
Post #63

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

How 'bout Cotto against the best guys at 147. He's too small for 160 and 154. Cotto/Bradley. Cotto/JMM. I know Garcia is a guy who campaigns at 140, but he's easily gonna make that jump to 147. Would love to see Cotto/Garcia. All winnable, lucrative and competitive fights for Miguel. I don't see Martinez or Canelo as winnable fights for him. I think his style falls right into their strengths. Not to mention, bot guys are bigger men than he.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Nov 19 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #64

Lightweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Nov 19 2013, 09:49 AM) *
How 'bout Cotto against the best guys at 147. He's too small for 160 and 154. Cotto/Bradley. Cotto/JMM. I know Garcia is a guy who campaigns at 140, but he's easily gonna make that jump to 147. Would love to see Cotto/Garcia. All winnable, lucrative and competitive fights for Miguel. I don't see Martinez or Canelo as winnable fights for him. I think his style falls right into their strengths. Not to mention, bot guys are bigger men than he.

If Cotto could make the weight without hurting himself he could win most of those fights at 147. The thing is I don't think he makes that weight comfortable anymore. 154 is Cottos best weight at this point in my opinion. Cotto-Alvarez is a 50-50 fight and could warrant a rematch.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Nov 19 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #65

Lightweight

If Cotto could make the weight without hurting himself he could win most of those fights at 147. The thing is I don't think he makes that weight comfortable anymore. 154 is Cottos best weight at this point in my opinion. Cotto-Alvarez is a 50-50 fight and could warrant a rematch.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 19 2013, 12:27 PM
Post #66

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

He's stated too many times that he's not going back to 147. But he has a problem because he's a natural welterweight. And since he doesn't want to compete there, most of those fights are off the table. Those fights are winnable for him at 154. Why drain to make it happen? He don't listen to good because the people around him have gone on record as saying he should be at 147, he just don't listen

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Nov 19 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #67

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

I don't think JMM is one of the best WW. One of the most lucrative, yes, but other than fighting a guy who's style he's been familiar with since lower weight classes for a 3rd and 4th time, anytime he's matched up with top opponents (other than Pacquiao) at 147lbs. he's come up short. I think at this point in JMM career guys like Rios, Alvarado or Ruslan are the only styled opponents that could work in his favor, but if he's fighting a top slick boxer he'd get out-boxed. I think Cotto would not just out-box JMM, but over power him as well.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 19 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #68

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Nov 19 2013, 06:51 PM) *
I don't think JMM is one of the best WW. One of the most lucrative, yes, but other than fighting a guy who's style he's been familiar with since lower weight classes for a 3rd and 4th time, anytime he's matched up with top opponents (other than Pacquiao) at 147lbs. he's come up short. I think at this point in JMM career guys like Rios, Alvarado or Ruslan are the only styled opponents that could work in his favor, but if he's fighting a top slick boxer he'd get out-boxed. I think Cotto would not just out-box JMM, but over power him as well.

Let's agree to disagree, I don't think he can outbox jmm. But I think that fight is full of fireworks if cotto pressures, that would be a great fight. But cotto is a thick ww, I doubt he makes the weight anymore.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 19 2013, 08:14 PM
Post #69

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 17 2013, 11:35 PM) *
Oh the beauty of triangle theories lol....i see what your saying and I see what klonopinz is saying too. I'd definitely watch it if the fight was made but I think it would be stupid on Miguel's part to accept that fight. They both have some key advantages that could be exploited by the other but for Cotto, all Tim knows how to do is win. It's like Creed's trainer told him in Rocky "he doesn't know it's a show he thinks it's a damn fight". He's one of those dudes like Danny and like a Molina who can fuck up a cup of coffee. Meaning he can ruin a promoter or the networks plans

Oh trust we all know Arum is looking to keep that money all in the Top a rank family and he doesn't have much to work on as far as match ups. He's running out of steam unless he keeps with the trend which is being the king of rematches. It's known that Schaefer offered 10mil for a fight with Canelo and I read a report that team Cotto and Team Canelo met with GB recently to further discuss it and lock it down for March 8th. Cotto is sitting in a pretty position because whi h ever network and promoter he goes to holds the key in Boxing because they'll have 2 of the 3 ppv attractions. That's a lot of power to have. Cotto may screw this up, I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't go back to Arum and make a deal to fight Martinez or even a Bradley or who ever. You never know with him

Check HATES triangle theories! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Totally agree with the statement about Bradley. Believe it or not, I dont see anybody stopping Tim in any of his future fights...he may have that Mosley affect, lol.

I don't tend to believe everything that Schaefer says nowadays...especially if it has anything to do with money. Didn't he take that trip to Dubai for 2 weeks, just to come back with just as much info about a Khan/Alexander fight, that he had before he left...which was nothing? Lol. Anyhow, 10M for Cotto to fight Canelo, makes me scratch my head. I mean, Miguel was only offered 8M up front for the FMJ fight, and probably got some of the back end money, so I'm not sure how he clocks a whopping 10M against Canelo.

I agree that Cotto is sitting pretty at the moment, I'm just hoping that he makes the right decision (pun intended). If he takes the Canelo fight, then Arum's gonna be in his feelings BIG TIME, and may blow him off if he tries to do business with him.

Now that you've mentioned it, if Showtime has two PPV attractions (Cotto and Canelo) matched against each other, then we may be looking at another big seller. Showtime's probably sitting pretty after that 2.2M PPVs this past May.

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Nov 18 2013, 01:13 PM) *
I think we agreed before the Cotto-Bradley fight could be sold and would be a barnburner if both guys came with their A game. I will settle for Cotto-Alvarez or Cotto-Martinez lol

Both guys (Cotto and Bradley) would be in a "A-game" type of situation, so I'd expect fireworks all the way through. Us boxing fans should know better by now, and settling is always part of the game, lol. I'm sure a Cotto/Bradley fight would be thrown at us, before we see Cotto in there with anybody else that could possibly obliterate him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Nov 19 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #70

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 19 2013, 06:47 PM) *
Let's agree to disagree, I don't think he can outbox jmm. But I think that fight is full of fireworks if cotto pressures, that would be a great fight. But cotto is a thick ww, I doubt he makes the weight anymore.

I think if the money is as right as a fight with Canelo or Sergio he would make 147 and the fact that he is the naturally bigger WW than JMM I feel would play a huge factor. Even with knocking out PAC I think 140 would probably be the better fit for Marquez and with Cotto fighting a lot more bigger guys with arguably better punching power than him, u'd be hard pressed to say Marquez's punches would have much effect on Cotto. Cotto on the other hand with just as much experience and having Freddie Roach who is real familiar with Marquez's style than Marquez is familiar with Cotto, I'm sure Cotto would have the advantage as well in preparation too. Cotto is also the bigger draw which could play towards the judges... I mean I can go on and on with these advantages that in the past hasent worked well in Marquez's favor. Nevertheless I'm sure it would make up a fight worth watching, but not one I'd see Marquez coming out victorious without a KO at this stage of his career and I just don't see that happening.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 03:33 AM