IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto-Alverez or Cotto-Martinez?
Which is the smartest big fight for Cotto next?
Alverez or Martinez
Cotto-Alverez [ 15 ] ** [60.00%]
Cotto-Martinez [ 9 ] ** [36.00%]
Other (Your Suggestion) [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
mrchitown
post Nov 20 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #71

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2013, 08:14 PM) *
Check HATES triangle theories! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Totally agree with the statement about Bradley. Believe it or not, I dont see anybody stopping Tim in any of his future fights...he may have that Mosley affect, lol.

I don't tend to believe everything that Schaefer says nowadays...especially if it has anything to do with money. Didn't he take that trip to Dubai for 2 weeks, just to come back with just as much info about a Khan/Alexander fight, that he had before he left...which was nothing? Lol. Anyhow, 10M for Cotto to fight Canelo, makes me scratch my head. I mean, Miguel was only offered 8M up front for the FMJ fight, and probably got some of the back end money, so I'm not sure how he clocks a whopping 10M against Canelo.

I agree that Cotto is sitting pretty at the moment, I'm just hoping that he makes the right decision (pun intended). If he takes the Canelo fight, then Arum's gonna be in his feelings BIG TIME, and may blow him off if he tries to do business with him.

Now that you've mentioned it, if Showtime has two PPV attractions (Cotto and Canelo) matched against each other, then we may be looking at another big seller. Showtime's probably sitting pretty after that 2.2M PPVs this past May.

Cotto is in China meeting with Arum. Scahefer said that he offered Cotto a rematch with Floyd, a fight against Quillin at MW. I believe that, the money part? You may be right, we never know with a promoter. But shit, I'd jump at the fight against Quillin. Not saying that Miguel would win because I think Peter is a special talent but Cotto is more likely to get a belt at 160 against him then Maravilla

He may fumble the ball as he tends to do from time to time, he holds all the cards and I'm hoping for once he thinks things through and makes a good, sound decision. And I think Showtime is pushing for Cotto to come back. That September PPV was a huge success and they have some money to play with now because of it. I also agree that Tim is going to be rolling for a while, but I see some GB fighters not named Floyd that could get at him
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Nov 20 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #72

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

i think a fight with canelo and martinez is a bigger risk for his health and his family, and the man cares about his family. tim is lo physical risk, meaning hes not gonna get knocked out by tim, which he could against canelo or martinez. i dont think he would ant to put his family through that pacquiao/margarito situation ever again, when he got KTFO and they were crying ringside while blood was pouring out of his face. Beleive it or not tim bradley is becoming a bigger draw than he was a year ago. I think the people have finally gotten over the pacquiao loss and are starting to like bradley and support him.

You think a sergio martinez fight draws money? sergio doesnt draw shit either, this as a guy they labeled "man with no country." Je was a nobody a few years ago and champion and nobody even gave a fart to see him fight. All the sudden hes a draw like canelo because he had one ppv fight with chavez? that did half million buys but that was because chavez had a country behind him thats where all the buys came from. martinez draws just as much as a vradley fight, the only difference is that bob has to pay lou dibella, which emans even less for cotto. financially a fight with bradley makes more sense for cotto and for bob.

Rhe biggest money fight is canelo, but if he takes that fight. thats it, no hbo fights ever again, done. however if he takes the martinez fight and loooks good, or the bradley fight and looks good, even if he loses, i think the other fights will still be there. The fact that top rank is so desperate for opponents to match, combine with the fact that hbo has two real opponents to offer cotto, puts him not just in a win-win. but a win-win-win/ He could get both of these fights on HBO even if he loses the first, and the fact that tim is low risk physically makes me think thats a good fight to take, lose, but lose close and exciting by split decision. then he still gets the martinez fight because martinez may fight golovkin and lose, so theyd both be comng off losses and they could still have a great fight. then if cotto wins, the fight with canelo is still there for him. where as if he goes the canelo fight first, hes got no HBO options then. if he plays it smart, he could get all 3 fights.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 21 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #73

Cruiserweight

You said all that for a fight that is highly unlikely to happen. You think a fight with the MW champ won't sell, he said he wants to go to 160 possibly to make history. What does he gain by fighting and or beating Bradley? There's no belt on the line, there's nothing there. I know business and sergio is bigger business then Tim Bradley, you say he don't draw but forget when he fought in Argentina he packed the stadium 3x more then anything Tim has done. Martinez draws more then he does. Do the research when he fought in NY he pulled in better numbers then Bradley

Google is your friend, you blinded by trying to push your agenda but ignoring basic facts. And you have no truth to him not getting back with HBO. What you don't understand is money is the bottom line, either that or you just ignoring it. You think that the 3rd biggest draw in the sport can't jump around from network to network, you crazy. Don't shit in Martinez numbers when Bradley bombed out a PPV with Manny Pacquiao. Shit was so bad Arum still doesn't want to match them together again for that reason. Amongst others though. Arum could very well sell a potential fight between Miguel and Tim but he'd rather push the Martinez fight. A fight between Cotto and Martinez at MSG is 10x bigger then if he was in there with Bradley. Bradley's public interest is growing but that ain't saying much because people still don't want to see him fight. Martinez is a more exciting fighter then Tim and that's the shit HBO wants. I still have yet to hear what the appeal is and what Cotto gets by beating Bradley of it happens.

A fight against Bradley has to be placed properly for the revenue to be there. You have sponsor activations and other things that go into a promotion, I guarantee you that when Tim fights that the activation money ain't shit lol. If I'm Cotto why would I fight this guy that doesn't draw, has no belt in my weight class and its possible I could lose. When I can go fight a Martinez or a Canelo and make bigger money and fight for history in one and bragging rights for my country in the other, and potentially upwards of 10mil...matter if fact he'd probably be fighting for the vacant belt if he fights Canelo at 154. There is NOTHING to gain by a Bradley fight. If he was somehow to fight Bradley which I doubt would happen, then he's just plain stupid. Fight a high risk low reward fighter and make about 5-6mil or fight in MSG for a legacy fight and be the A-side of the promotion or fight in March on a PPV at the MGM and walk away with 10mil when it's over. I like the other 2 options over the 1st one

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 21 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #74

Cruiserweight

And look at all the comps that's had to be given out for Tim's 2 fights this year, any gain in terms of drawing power are minimal

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Nov 21 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #75

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

jesus christ the people really do hate tim bradley haha you absolutely just despise this fight LOL. i agree with ya, but i am not saying its going to be bradley hands down, im jsut saying its a 3rd option, with a low risk of taking punishment, which against martinez at middleweight he has a big chance of getting hurt. i wouldnt mind seeing either fight. tim is at the same stage martinez as right after he fought paul williams. it took him a few fights against no named middleweights before people even knew who he was. dont shit on tim just yet, let him cook a little bit.

im not trying to push an "agenda." i just would rather see this fight than the others. Martinez shouldnt be going after little cotto when hes got the elephant in the room with GGG.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 21 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #76

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 21 2013, 05:09 PM) *
jesus christ the people really do hate tim bradley haha you absolutely just despise this fight LOL. i agree with ya, but i am not saying its going to be bradley hands down, im jsut saying its a 3rd option, with a low risk of taking punishment, which against martinez at middleweight he has a big chance of getting hurt. i wouldnt mind seeing either fight. tim is at the same stage martinez as right after he fought paul williams. it took him a few fights against no named middleweights before people even knew who he was. dont shit on tim just yet, let him cook a little bit.

im not trying to push an "agenda." i just would rather see this fight than the others. Martinez shouldn't be going after little cotto when hes got the elephant in the room with GGG.

How old are you? I'm telling you facts, if that's hating then I'm proud of it. That is a ridiculous 3rd option imo. He has 2 bigger and better fights on the table and I'd like to see him in against Quillin before Tim because it's a legacy fight for another title. I agree with alot of what you said as well but I'm a businessman myself and that fight makes zero business sense. But don't say I'm shitting on him because I refute what your saying, that's high school, save the last dance talk.

The rumor was that his fight with Manny drew only 700k, then it was said that the numbers BARELY reached 900k. Now he does 375k with JMM. Now let's look at the attendance of his fights, I'm sure nobody forgot that embarrassing 6k attendance when he fought Devon. Then he sold 2,256 tickets with a huge amount of comps for a live gate over $172k with Provo. Judah-Garcia brought in over $800k for their fight and sold 11k tickets in NY. This is why I bring up fight placement. Tim can't even draw in his home state. That's not hate youngin that's facts. He got paid $1.75mil for Ruslan and made $4mil for the JMM fight. That fight brought in $22mil at the gate. The fight generated a gate of $2,998,950 from 10,683 tickets sold. There were 1,370 complimentary tickets given away and 5,649 tickets went unsold

He's quite a ways off of Martinez, at least Maravilla actually almost sold out a 40k stadium in his backyard. I'm a fan of Tim but the money isn't there for anyone to fight him. I want to see the fight to from a fan standpoint but from a business standpoint you and everyone else in here have proved nothing as to why that fight should be a 3rd option as you put it. Cotto isn't the smartest guy so maybe you'll get your wish but if he's smart he'd go for the greener pastures with Canelo or Sergio. I'm not dissing the fight because I don't want to see it I'm dissing it because there's no dollars to be made in it

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Nov 21 2013, 08:01 PM

+Quote Post
emd01
post Nov 22 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #77

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,811

If a rematch with Floyd is on the table any other matchup is insignificant. Floyd respects Miguel and would pay him generously. It would be another PPV with 2 of the biggest PPV stars again. Why would Cotto even consider other options especially with how interesting the first fight was? Unless there is no Floyd fight on the table.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 23 2013, 12:37 AM
Post #78

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (emd01 @ Nov 22 2013, 08:12 PM) *
If a rematch with Floyd is on the table any other matchup is insignificant. Floyd respects Miguel and would pay him generously. It would be another PPV with 2 of the biggest PPV stars again. Why would Cotto even consider other options especially with how interesting the first fight was? Unless there is no Floyd fight on the table.

Schaefer says he presented the option for a Floyd rematch to Miguel. He has options with Top Rank and Golden Boy. And that's a good thing, at least he's weighing his options

+Quote Post
kej718
post Nov 26 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #79

Amateur

Member No.: 13,674

I don't see why he would even involve top rank in any of his next fights (If they can't get Floyd vs. Manny done what makes you think they can make the fight with Canelo).

Wouldn't be crazy if Golden Boy made Canelo vs. Martinez just out of spite so they wouldn't have to work with Top Rank and Cotto doesn't get his big fight

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Dec 2 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #80

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

I think Martinez is the best fight for him if he can get it without giving Arum options. Martinez is damaged and will lose his next big fight. Cotto can get the lineal MW belt and then get the huge payday in a Floyd rematch.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 08:59 PM