IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why is Martinez settling for Cotto without testing the Mayweather sweepstakes waters?
Dolimite
post Oct 16 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

I don't think Sergio's style matches up well with Mayweather. Given he has good foot movement, and he is a talented fighter but he doesn't have the skill set to fuck with May. Plus coming back from a serious knee injury will not work well with a fighter like Mayweather, he moves well and Sergio will have to rely on his legs if he wants to pop May. He ain't no Chavez Jr., who just stood in front of Sergio. The way Cotto fought his last fight is tailor made for Sergio, come forward no defense. He can make money off of Cotto. And remember, Sergio isn't the most popular name when it comes to casual fans.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Oct 16 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

come forward no defense? cotto was catching tons of punches in that fight. hes actually got really good defense. but i dont expect you to notice. your too busy staring at "may's" cock

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Oct 16 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Lightweight

cotto knew he could push through delvin because he couldnt be hurt by him after feeling his power. cotto is a tactician. he doesnt fight stupid fights. hes experienced and knows how to fight each man in front of him. he uses the strategy that works best with his opponent and best with his strengths. he boxed delvin the first round, used good defense, then realized he could end the fight and blow past the fool. so he did. he would not do that to martinez. he is much more well rounded that murray, murray humiliated martinez IMO. i think cotto has a great chance

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Oct 16 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #14

Lightweight

martinez looks good against big dumb fools who come forward with their face and try to pressure him. cotto is a boxer puncher who specializes in body attack. that will take martinez legs away late in the fight. not to mention martinez;s piss poor hands down bullshit that got him counterpunched to shit and dropped in front of his home country. he will get outboxed and then dropped by cotto too

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 16 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Oct 16 2013, 05:31 PM) *
martinez looks good against big dumb fools who come forward with their face and try to pressure him. cotto is a boxer puncher who specializes in body attack. that will take martinez legs away late in the fight. not to mention martinez;s piss poor hands down bullshit that got him counterpunched to shit and dropped in front of his home country. he will get outboxed and then dropped by cotto too

Well I hope we get to find out bro. If it does I got sergio by late stoppage with cotto outboxing him a few of the first rounds. Cotto has a good skill set but he has been at best average on defense..

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Oct 19 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 15 2013, 12:10 PM) *
At this point, Sergio's been trying his best to land fights against Manny and Floyd, to no avail. If he lands a Cotto fight after all of that trying, then that would sure be better than ending his career while fighting any other meaningless (read: not good for his career) fights.

I haven't seen or heard of anything that he has remotely done to try and bring either fight into fruition, I have heard him name drop on both fighters to gain himself some notoriety though but if you have something else on this like (they've been in contract negotiations) then please share that with us.

Thanks

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 20 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

^^ yea like Floyd and Arum would flock to the opportunity to negotiate with a small middleweight southpaw that's been knocking dudes out left and right (at the time) and swears he can make a 152-154 catchweight fight for them and had little to no name in order to sell a fight. I enjoy watching martinez but come on bro let's be realistic..

This post has been edited by checkleft: Oct 20 2013, 12:57 AM

+Quote Post
HyyerBlaze
post Oct 21 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,954

Maybe he doesn't want to have to go down in weight for Floyd?

Idk...still think its the best fight to be made still.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 21 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 19 2013, 06:15 PM) *
I haven't seen or heard of anything that he has remotely done to try and bring either fight into fruition, I have heard him name drop on both fighters to gain himself some notoriety though but if you have something else on this like (they've been in contract negotiations) then please share that with us.

Thanks

It's only so much that he could've done, at the times that he did call out Floyd and Manny. Of course, all that he was able to do, was call them out and say that he'll drop down to fight them. Looks like Bradley and Guerrero were successful, but of course Tim had to sell his soul, and Guerrero was already with GBP.

At that time, Floyd was inactive in the sport (months before the Ortiz fight was even thought of) and Sergio was knocking out small MWs every 4 or 5 months, so it looked like he was locked in at MW. Floyd had only fought at 54 once, so it didn't seem like an entertaining fight. Manny had only fought at 54 once, and it appeared that he would never make that trip again.

I guess its safe to say that Sergio did what EVERYBODY did...call them out endlessly, but nobody took the bait. He just looked too good in the ring, at that time, so I guess it was mostly his fault. Lol

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 21 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Oct 16 2013, 04:31 PM) *

Sergio's style is awkward. The Paul Williams that Sergio fought twice would've mopped the floor with Miguel Cotto. Your rallying around a dude who really should be fighting at welterweight to beat a MW who beat a dude who comes in weighing in at cruiserweight. Sergio Martinez is quicker then him, has better footwork then him and has more pop then him. They thought the same thing you saying when he fought Trout. Austin could've knocked his ass out but he didn't go for the kill. When Martinez hurts him he will finish him. Sergio is too athletic for Miguel

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Oct 21 2013, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:13 PM