IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why is Martinez settling for Cotto without testing the Mayweather sweepstakes waters?
checkleft
post Oct 21 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 21 2013, 12:07 PM) *
Sergio's style is awkward. The Paul Williams that Sergio fought twice would've mopped the floor with Miguel Cotto. Your rallying around a dude who really should be fighting at welterweight to beat a MW who beat a dude who comes in weighing in at cruiserweight. Sergio Martinez is quicker then him, has better footwork then him and has more pop then him. They thought the same thing you saying when he fought Trout. Austin could've knocked his ass out but he didn't go for the kill. When Martinez hurts him he will finish him. Sergio is too athletic for Miguel

People forget how avoided Paul was and how much of a problem the guy was stylisticly and in terms of size. Like Lucas I think sergio got jobbed a few times and earned his due the hard way.

But I agree 100% he's just to strong and athletic for cotto. Im still surprised cotto is even interested in this fight at all. But cotto is always interested in fighting the best and setting his legacy, much respect.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Oct 21 2013, 12:57 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 22 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #22

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I don't know who manages Cotto but they've historically done a terrible job. I'm all for a guy challenging himself, but to me, you take risks against risky fighters when they're most lucrative. You don't fight Austin Trout right after people are sucking your dick for your performance vs Floyd. Trout was super high risk, low reward. You don't fight Manny, allbeit weight drained, fresh off of a fight in which Clottey (in my opinion) put it on you. You don't fight Sergio Martinez when people's excitement for him has tapered down a bit (due to close fights, signs of age and injuries) when you got a blow job for your over-hyped last performance courtesy of HBO. He's one of the few guys that deserve to bask in their glory a bit lmao. Never seen a fighter so eager to give up their momentum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) If you are so eager to get the breaks beat off of you, you could have at least just fought Canelo when he was "the next big thing." At least you would have secured a big pay day lol. You're gonna go and get fucked up by Sergio and let Bob take 32%? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif)

I know I'm being hard on the guy and what he's doing should be viewed as admirable but damn. Sit back and admire your work for a change lol So eager to get that ass whooped

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 22 2013, 09:40 AM
Post #23

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 21 2013, 12:55 PM) *
People forget how avoided Paul was and how much of a problem the guy was stylisticly and in terms of size. Like Lucas I think sergio got jobbed a few times and earned his due the hard way.

But I agree 100% he's just to strong and athletic for cotto. Im still surprised cotto is even interested in this fight at all. But cotto is always interested in fighting the best and setting his legacy, much respect.

I don't see a way that Cotto can contend with the strength and athletic ability of Martinez. He's going to take Miguel to school. I too commend Cotto for taking these kinds of fights but I think this particular time he should've got a few more wins and then went after the big fight. He just seems to get a win, lose fire his trainer, win again then everybody says the old Cotto is back then when he gets starched it's oh Miguel is done, he should retire. If he gets in that ring with Martinez he's going to get retired that beat down might be worse then the one he took from Margarito

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 22 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #24

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 22 2013, 10:40 AM) *
I don't see a way that Cotto can contend with the strength and athletic ability of Martinez. He's going to take Miguel to school. I too commend Cotto for taking these kinds of fights but I think this particular time he should've got a few more wins and then went after the big fight. He just seems to get a win, lose fire his trainer, win again then everybody says the old Cotto is back then when he gets starched it's oh Miguel is done, he should retire. If he gets in that ring with Martinez he's going to get retired that beat down might be worse then the one he took from Margarito

Do you think if he somehow beat Martinez, it puts him top 5 Pound for Pound?

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 22 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 22 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Despite martinez struggles as of late the guy is still a top ten p4p guy in my opinion. If he somehow can stand martinez power and athletic ability he is definitely gonna be in the conversation for top ten, fuck all that sergio is washed up talk that will probably take place. This is a dude who in his last two fights with injuries has stood up to guys who could easily be fighting 1 or 2 weight classes above him. That would be a great win for miguel

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 22 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #26

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 22 2013, 09:58 AM) *

That's a good question, if Miguel was somehow able to beat Martinez then he's definitely in that top 10 and some may make the case for top 5. Miguel would definitely be in my top 10 if he beats Sergio. It's a winnable fight for Miguel just imo I think that Martinez has a little more left to give to the sport then Cotto at this point

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Oct 22 2013, 07:57 PM

+Quote Post
emd01
post Oct 22 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #27

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,811

Well, its very refreshing to read that Cotto isnt set on a fight with Martinez and is still considering a Mayweather rematch or a fight with Canelo. I'd much rather see him fight Canelo than take a beating from Martinez and he'd make more money fighting the man child than he would Martinez' big ass.

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Oct 24 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #28

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

Martinez KOs Cotto... Cotto took some serious punishment against Floyd to add onto his already shopworn armour--he was lumped up pretty good. His last match was an aberration againts a guy that idolized him. Martinez at 160 will brutally stop Cotto at 154 he will take a beating over the course of 12 rounds- Cotto is finito- Sergio is being written off over some lackluster performances, yet he has not been 100% physically and in his last bout the dude was training in his hotel room due to political upheaveal in argentina.. Sergio has taken less punishment and he will beat the crap out of Cotto and retire him

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Oct 25 2013, 11:23 AM
Post #29

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Would anyone be interested in seeing a Cotto vs. Mayweather rematch, especially if Cotto beats SM?

+Quote Post
emd01
post Oct 28 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #30

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,811

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Oct 25 2013, 09:23 AM) *
Would anyone be interested in seeing a Cotto vs. Mayweather rematch, especially if Cotto beats SM?

I'd buy it even without the SM fight. Would be curious to see what approach Cotto would take in a 2nd match up.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 09:06 PM