IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why is Martinez settling for Cotto without testing the Mayweather sweepstakes waters?
Franchize
post Oct 29 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #31

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 28 2013, 11:56 AM) *
I'd buy it even without the SM fight. Would be curious to see what approach Cotto would take in a 2nd match up.

I agree with this. Given the way Floyd has whitewashed his last two opponents, you can't really turn your nose up to a fight that was at least competitive the first time around. I think Floyd would beat the breaks off of him even worse this time around. That being said, it's worth it. At one point, I was even cool with Floyd rematching the now yoked Juan Manuel Marquez. I'd be a hypocrite to say no to this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Oct 30 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #32

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

the difference in the trout fight was cotto tried to box him instead of hurt him to the body. i think his passion was gone for that fight also. i think hes in a do or die state right now and hes motivated, plus roach has his offense dialed in awesome. i havent seen miguel punch that well in a while, he was super fast and had great fluididy and whip in his shots. he was puting his combos together well also. mechanicaly he looks great IMO.

but you cant say that the cotto back in the day around the time of williams, at 147 around 2006 wouldnt be a beast. he would be ripping williams to the body, williams was overated IMO. he got counterpunched to shit by lara, koed by sergio, even tho the first fight sergio got tagged up also. and he only really beat a past his prime winky, and margarito in his prime, thats his big win next to martinez. even quintana beat him, an cotto ate quintana alive. williams at 147 was so skinny, a cotto body shot would have folded him in half IMO.

Austin trout aint knocking out shit, he couldnt even land a good shot on canelo ffs.

sergio used to be "too athletic" for miguel, but that was 4 years ago. sergio is ripe for the picking right now while miguel has be reinvigorated. i think sergios knee injury has totally ruined his style. now he cant fight like he used to, he is forced to trade shots to to toe now, like in his murray and chavez fights. he doesnt all the time, but he is forced to now way more than ever because he is older and hes breaking down. golovkin would retire him, so i think cotto is a perfect fight. IMHO sergio is actually a legit 154 pounder who became famous beating dumb slow middleweights, when he fought 154 lbs and 147 lbs he had more problems because these guys could actually keep up wit his agility and speed.

sergio will have trouble trying to box cotto, cotto will expose him because sergios best punch is that sneaky left hand lead that he uses, where he ducks his head down low to his right and throws a small looping left hand thru his opponents jab. that is a perfect punch to try on cotto because he will be leaning right into miguels left hook to the body and/or head. he will move right into it and get KOed himself. not to mention he will get jabbed to death by cottos strong left hand power jabs. his hands are down and he will get picked apart by cottos jab.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 30 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Oct 30 2013, 06:27 PM) *
the difference in the trout fight was cotto tried to box him instead of hurt him to the body. i think his passion was gone for that fight also. i think hes in a do or die state right now and hes motivated, plus roach has his offense dialed in awesome. i havent seen miguel punch that well in a while, he was super fast and had great fluididy and whip in his shots. he was puting his combos together well also. mechanicaly he looks great IMO.

but you cant say that the cotto back in the day around the time of williams, at 147 around 2006 wouldnt be a beast. he would be ripping williams to the body, williams was overated IMO. he got counterpunched to shit by lara, koed by sergio, even tho the first fight sergio got tagged up also. and he only really beat a past his prime winky, and margarito in his prime, thats his big win next to martinez. even quintana beat him, an cotto ate quintana alive. williams at 147 was so skinny, a cotto body shot would have folded him in half IMO.

Austin trout aint knocking out shit, he couldnt even land a good shot on canelo ffs.

sergio used to be "too athletic" for miguel, but that was 4 years ago. sergio is ripe for the picking right now while miguel has be reinvigorated. i think sergios knee injury has totally ruined his style. now he cant fight like he used to, he is forced to trade shots to to toe now, like in his murray and chavez fights. he doesnt all the time, but he is forced to now way more than ever because he is older and hes breaking down. golovkin would retire him, so i think cotto is a perfect fight. IMHO sergio is actually a legit 154 pounder who became famous beating dumb slow middleweights, when he fought 154 lbs and 147 lbs he had more problems because these guys could actually keep up wit his agility and speed.

sergio will have trouble trying to box cotto, cotto will expose him because sergios best punch is that sneaky left hand lead that he uses, where he ducks his head down low to his right and throws a small looping left hand thru his opponents jab. that is a perfect punch to try on cotto because he will be leaning right into miguels left hook to the body and/or head. he will move right into it and get KOed himself. not to mention he will get jabbed to death by cottos strong left hand power jabs. his hands are down and he will get picked apart by cottos jab.

If were gonna do this whole "he beat the guy who beat him" thing (that is not the best way to argue a point in boxing) than Williams beat margs very handily who beat cotto once and was on his way to catching cotto late again in the second fight if it wasnt for the very involves ny doctors and ref.

Williams is not an easy fight for anyone.

I respect cotto a lot so Idk why your making excuses for him in the trout fight when he himself never made an excuse. It isn't trouts fault that cotto supposedly fought him without passion. Sergio is basically a stronger faster trout, cotto wouldn't be able to hold up to him for twelve.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 05:41 PM