IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The One Type of Fight That Turns Me Off, Guy brought in so opponent looks good. Location "Bias"
Jack 1000
post Oct 17 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

As most of you know,

My love and history of the sport goes back about forty years. I live watching, writing, reading and, analyzing, so many aspects of this great game. However, there is one fight that is always a turn off for me, or at least has been so for the last several years. When a star is fighting some no-hoper just to keep busy, and it is literally a forgone conclusion how the judges are going to have it. For years and years, it is so rare that these journeymen can't get a break against the stars, that I have really lost interest in a fighter where say he's a star, and he's just fighting a warm body so that Jim Lamplyor in past years, Howard Cosell could go ga-ga over a huge name fighting a nobody.

This is one of many reasons why I have yet to watch Chavez-Vera. I mean how many of you honestly believed that "Son of a Legend" and Jose Sulaiman's Godson was going to get any kind of decision? It wouldn't have mattered who the judges were. They weren't incompetent. They knew what they were doing, That was to protect the money maker to continue to line Arum's and the WBC's pockets, along with HBO shamelessly promoting a fight for what seemed like a 200 lb heavyweight, or at least a 185lb Cruserweight fighting what was supposed to be a Middleweight. Vera had to knock him out to get the win. With six loses going in, the writing was on the wall. Everything the crowd, the announcer Lupe Contraes with the strong fanfare for Chavez. I heard the crowd at least, rightrfully turned on Chavez after his unanimous decision was announced.

Even Mayweather-Alveraz, examine how pro-Alvarez the fight build-up and even the ring decor was! Look at the ring during the fight, there were little "Mexico" banners all around, and the WBC with their commemorative belt with USA and Mexico on it. The atmosphere was pro-Alvarez and even the banners on the ring showed that this was hostile territory. Fortunately two of the judges got it right in given Mayweather the victor.y I certainly DO NOT intend this fight to be mentioned as the type of top star versus journeymen concept noted in the first two paragraphs. My point with Mayweather-Alvarez is meant to show how atmosphere, and crowd can influence judges! Could this have played a role in CJ Roos' shocking 114-114 draw card?

The Ward-Rodriguez fight upcoming proves my point, You know this guy Rodriquez is just being brought in to make Ward look good. You know that Ward will win a decision, it's just a question of how fair or foul it will be. You know it's in California and they will have probably all four principles (ref and judges) from California. Lamply will be there shaking the pom-pom's for Ward. My interest in this fight is null. There's no interest for me to watch Ward pot-shot his way to some 118-110 , 117-111, 120-108 decision What's Rodriguez going to do? Win? LOL! He has to KO Ward to do that.

I have nothing against elusive boxers or the great sluggers. However, in order for them to be worthy of my viewership, I want to see fights were an opponent has a reasonable chance of winning, and fair treatment from the judges based on what happens in the ring. Good two sided boxing matches or slugging matches. Don't give me some fight with the star against some journeymen, where the poor flip-side fighter has a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a decision.

How do you all feel about this?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
checkleft
post Oct 17 2013, 02:13 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

I think your spot on.

Although I do think rodriguez has length and speed to trouble ward, he has fought no one close to a ward caliber opponent. Yet ward still didn't budge on his stance, he wanted almost 2.5 million for what is considered a showcase fight! Lol.

And I know we talked about Alexander a lot lately, but why is he fighting porter?? On top of that in st. Louis?? Porter need to ko because even if he some way out boxes Alexander no way he gets a decision.

If gonzalez didn't ko mares I doubt he would have won on the cards also, the cali cards have been as bad as Texas cards and the Vegas cards are beginning to slip as well (SD in the Bradley fight and the CJ Ross debacle).

And weren't the rigo vs donaire scores pretty fucked up as well? Other than the kd rigo put on a sesh!

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 17 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I was kinda with you until you brought the award fight up. I think your way off there but everything else was on point.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Oct 17 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #4

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 17 2013, 01:21 PM) *
I was kinda with you until you brought the award fight up. I think your way off there but everything else was on point.

That's cool. So you think Rodriguez with give Ward problems, and won't be a pushover? You think the judging will be fair to him as well?

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 17 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 17 2013, 03:28 PM) *
That's cool. So you think Rodriguez with give Ward problems, and won't be a pushover? You think the judging will be fair to him as well?

Jack

The judging in cali has been almost as bad as Texas judging. I think they had angulo winning against Lara and Lara was spanking that ass! Even despite getting dropped

So Chi, you think rodriguez is gonna surprise people? I like what he brings to the table, long, athletic, speedy, and he seems to have good strength in both hands.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 17 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 17 2013, 03:28 PM) *

Jack

Jack, in this one I don't think we will have to worry about funny scoring. I expect Ward to beat him. Now how convincingly he beats him depends on how his injury has healed. I think Rodriguez poses some threat to Andre. It will be interesting to see what game plan he and Virgil will come up with to neutralize the range and spend of Rodriguez

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 17 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 17 2013, 04:15 PM) *
The judging in cali has been almost as bad as Texas judging. I think they had angulo winning against Lara and Lara was spanking that ass! Even despite getting dropped

So Chi, you think rodriguez is gonna surprise people? I like what he brings to the table, long, athletic, speedy, and he seems to have good strength in both hands.

Yes I do think that Rodriguez has the ability to give Andre fits in the ring. His confidence is sky high after winning that Monte Carlos tournament. He's rangy and quick. Early on it could be tough for Andre

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 17 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 17 2013, 06:21 PM) *
Yes I do think that Rodriguez has the ability to give Andre fits in the ring. His confidence is sky high after winning that Monte Carlos tournament. He's rangy and quick. Early on it could be tough for Andre

And there could also be ring rust but with a guy like Andre I doubt it.

I thought I was the only guy that thought he could give him some fits, but professors crazy ass shot that down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 17 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 17 2013, 08:31 PM) *
And there could also be ring rust but with a guy like Andre I doubt it.

I thought I was the only guy that thought he could give him some fits, but professors crazy ass shot that down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't know what's going on with Professor, he's off his rocker lately, September really did a number on him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Oct 17 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #10

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Well its boxing so nothing will always turn out the way we as the audience want. I get it that top flight fighters fighting a journeyman or tune up that has all the odds against him gets under your skin but I think its due to business decisions.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 02:17 PM