IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The One Type of Fight That Turns Me Off, Guy brought in so opponent looks good. Location "Bias"
Jack 1000
post Oct 17 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

As most of you know,

My love and history of the sport goes back about forty years. I live watching, writing, reading and, analyzing, so many aspects of this great game. However, there is one fight that is always a turn off for me, or at least has been so for the last several years. When a star is fighting some no-hoper just to keep busy, and it is literally a forgone conclusion how the judges are going to have it. For years and years, it is so rare that these journeymen can't get a break against the stars, that I have really lost interest in a fighter where say he's a star, and he's just fighting a warm body so that Jim Lamplyor in past years, Howard Cosell could go ga-ga over a huge name fighting a nobody.

This is one of many reasons why I have yet to watch Chavez-Vera. I mean how many of you honestly believed that "Son of a Legend" and Jose Sulaiman's Godson was going to get any kind of decision? It wouldn't have mattered who the judges were. They weren't incompetent. They knew what they were doing, That was to protect the money maker to continue to line Arum's and the WBC's pockets, along with HBO shamelessly promoting a fight for what seemed like a 200 lb heavyweight, or at least a 185lb Cruserweight fighting what was supposed to be a Middleweight. Vera had to knock him out to get the win. With six loses going in, the writing was on the wall. Everything the crowd, the announcer Lupe Contraes with the strong fanfare for Chavez. I heard the crowd at least, rightrfully turned on Chavez after his unanimous decision was announced.

Even Mayweather-Alveraz, examine how pro-Alvarez the fight build-up and even the ring decor was! Look at the ring during the fight, there were little "Mexico" banners all around, and the WBC with their commemorative belt with USA and Mexico on it. The atmosphere was pro-Alvarez and even the banners on the ring showed that this was hostile territory. Fortunately two of the judges got it right in given Mayweather the victor.y I certainly DO NOT intend this fight to be mentioned as the type of top star versus journeymen concept noted in the first two paragraphs. My point with Mayweather-Alvarez is meant to show how atmosphere, and crowd can influence judges! Could this have played a role in CJ Roos' shocking 114-114 draw card?

The Ward-Rodriguez fight upcoming proves my point, You know this guy Rodriquez is just being brought in to make Ward look good. You know that Ward will win a decision, it's just a question of how fair or foul it will be. You know it's in California and they will have probably all four principles (ref and judges) from California. Lamply will be there shaking the pom-pom's for Ward. My interest in this fight is null. There's no interest for me to watch Ward pot-shot his way to some 118-110 , 117-111, 120-108 decision What's Rodriguez going to do? Win? LOL! He has to KO Ward to do that.

I have nothing against elusive boxers or the great sluggers. However, in order for them to be worthy of my viewership, I want to see fights were an opponent has a reasonable chance of winning, and fair treatment from the judges based on what happens in the ring. Good two sided boxing matches or slugging matches. Don't give me some fight with the star against some journeymen, where the poor flip-side fighter has a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a decision.

How do you all feel about this?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BrutUalBK
post Oct 19 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 17 2013, 01:58 AM) *
As most of you know,

My love and history of the sport goes back about forty years. I live watching, writing, reading and, analyzing, so many aspects of this great game. However, there is one fight that is always a turn off for me, or at least has been so for the last several years. When a star is fighting some no-hoper just to keep busy, and it is literally a forgone conclusion how the judges are going to have it. For years and years, it is so rare that these journeymen can't get a break against the stars, that I have really lost interest in a fighter where say he's a star, and he's just fighting a warm body so that Jim Lamplyor in past years, Howard Cosell could go ga-ga over a huge name fighting a nobody.

This is one of many reasons why I have yet to watch Chavez-Vera. I mean how many of you honestly believed that "Son of a Legend" and Jose Sulaiman's Godson was going to get any kind of decision? It wouldn't have mattered who the judges were. They weren't incompetent. They knew what they were doing, That was to protect the money maker to continue to line Arum's and the WBC's pockets, along with HBO shamelessly promoting a fight for what seemed like a 200 lb heavyweight, or at least a 185lb Cruserweight fighting what was supposed to be a Middleweight. Vera had to knock him out to get the win. With six loses going in, the writing was on the wall. Everything the crowd, the announcer Lupe Contraes with the strong fanfare for Chavez. I heard the crowd at least, rightrfully turned on Chavez after his unanimous decision was announced.

Even Mayweather-Alveraz, examine how pro-Alvarez the fight build-up and even the ring decor was! Look at the ring during the fight, there were little "Mexico" banners all around, and the WBC with their commemorative belt with USA and Mexico on it. The atmosphere was pro-Alvarez and even the banners on the ring showed that this was hostile territory. Fortunately two of the judges got it right in given Mayweather the victor.y I certainly DO NOT intend this fight to be mentioned as the type of top star versus journeymen concept noted in the first two paragraphs. My point with Mayweather-Alvarez is meant to show how atmosphere, and crowd can influence judges! Could this have played a role in CJ Roos' shocking 114-114 draw card?

The Ward-Rodriguez fight upcoming proves my point, You know this guy Rodriquez is just being brought in to make Ward look good. You know that Ward will win a decision, it's just a question of how fair or foul it will be. You know it's in California and they will have probably all four principles (ref and judges) from California. Lamply will be there shaking the pom-pom's for Ward. My interest in this fight is null. There's no interest for me to watch Ward pot-shot his way to some 118-110 , 117-111, 120-108 decision What's Rodriguez going to do? Win? LOL! He has to KO Ward to do that.

I have nothing against elusive boxers or the great sluggers. However, in order for them to be worthy of my viewership, I want to see fights were an opponent has a reasonable chance of winning, and fair treatment from the judges based on what happens in the ring. Good two sided boxing matches or slugging matches. Don't give me some fight with the star against some journeymen, where the poor flip-side fighter has a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting a decision.

How do you all feel about this?

Jack

You bet it very well could've but then again it all goes back to who is the major Promoter in a bout of this magnitude and let's not forget that GBP was hyping Canelo because Oscar is doing his best to bring forth someone who can beat Floyd but to no avail. I cannot help but recall when BHop faced Tito how DKP already had the MW Trophy inscribed with Tito Trinidad's name already on it as though it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to beat Nard and IMHO the same thing had already taken place here in the Floyd vs Canelo fight as they already had Mexico emblazoned all over the belt (despite the fact that the WBC is located in Mexico) despite the fact that there was an American also fighting in this bout as well.

There are too many situations I can recall where a fighter is brought in to make the other fighter look monstrous; Pac vs a drained DLH or a nobody in David Diaz as well knowing that neither man stood much of a chance. I think any fighter who does this is taking advantage of the situation to over-promote themselves and build tremendous hype so that people will want to see them look their best against a limited competitor.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:10 AM